Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I apologize that this had to be my first post, but I recently bought a 2016 ST2 about a month ago. At around the 2700 mile mark, a CEL popped and took it to the dealer to have the codes read. It popped with a PO117 and PO119, both dealing with the coolant sensor and erratic coolant temps. The dealer ordered a new ECT sensor to replace the suspected faulty unit.

Anyway, on top of the CEL, I'm also having issues with the gauge pod and coolant temp gauge. This seemingly happens on cold mornings and cold starts. Every now and then, the aforementioned gauges would cease to work and the car would run like crap. Hesitation, surging, crappy MPGs, all because those gauges stopped working. It would happen all the sudden, even while moving. And turning the car off and on again would have the gauges work, but sometimes stop working again until it gets warm out.

I find it a little strange. Has anyone had any similar issues with their ST? Is the ECT sensor somehow tied to the other sensors and causing compounding issues? The car is drivable, but it's running incredibly rich, and I'm afraid I'm fouling my plugs.

I love the car, but these issues are a bit disappointing. Make me question the long term reliability of the ST.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Hi all. I apologize that this had to be my first post, but I recently bought a 2016 ST2 about a month ago. At around the 2700 mile mark, a CEL popped and took it to the dealer to have the codes read. It popped with a PO117 and PO119, both dealing with the coolant sensor and erratic coolant temps. The dealer ordered a new ECT sensor to replace the suspected faulty unit.

Anyway, on top of the CEL, I'm also having issues with the gauge pod and coolant temp gauge. This seemingly happens on cold mornings and cold starts. Every now and then, the aforementioned gauges would cease to work and the car would run like crap. Hesitation, surging, crappy MPGs, all because those gauges stopped working. It would happen all the sudden, even while moving. And turning the car off and on again would have the gauges work, but sometimes stop working again until it gets warm out.

I find it a little strange. Has anyone had any similar issues with their ST? Is the ECT sensor somehow tied to the other sensors and causing compounding issues? The car is drivable, but it's running incredibly rich, and I'm afraid I'm fouling my plugs.

I love the car, but these issues are a bit disappointing. Make me question the long term reliability of the ST.
The boost gauge is the only one on the pod that actually functions accurately (Unless 16' is different). The other 2 are merely calculated and estimated by the computer. I don't know exactly what all goes into the calculation, but if a component of your car is malfunctioning and it throws off the computer it'll certainly domino to another component.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boost gauge is the only one on the pod that actually functions accurately (Unless 16' is different). The other 2 are merely calculated and estimated by the computer. I don't know exactly what all goes into the calculation, but if a component of your car is malfunctioning and it throws off the computer it'll certainly domino to another component.
Thanks. That makes sense now. The boost gauge still works when the rest don't, but the engine seems to run in limp mode. I hope that only the ECT sensor is the culprit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer just got done replacing the ECT sensor and everything is good to go. Strange how that just goes and malfunctions. Luckily, it's easily replaced. No more issues thus far since the replacement. I just ordered a Cobb Accessport from Mountune($450 on sale!), so I'm looking forward to getting it tuned!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad news. CEL and limp mode reared its ugly head again this morning. This seems to happen more frequently when it's cold out. I doubt it's the ECT at this point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you even read my original post?

The ones popping up on my ST are definitely NOT misfire codes.

PO117 is a low voltage input on the ECT sensor. PO119 is erratic coolant temps. PO217 is engine overheating.

Physically, my cooling system is fine. No leaks and the pressure is good. So strange smells. No weird smoke. On days that the coolant gauge DOES decide to work, it shows normal operating temps, so I know it's not really overheating. When the coolant gauge stops working, so do the auxiliary gauges, and it goes in to limp mode because it thinks that my engine really is overheating(it isn't). The ECT sensor was replaced, and it's still doing the same exact thing, so unless I got 2 bad ECT sensors(unlikely), there's probably an electrical issue somewhere.

It's back with the dealer now. I sure hope they can figure this out. Otherwise, I'll start the Lemon Law procedures for my state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts