Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title states, is it pointless? I just have a muffler delete is it pointless to get a catted downpipe? Any who has done it do you have a video of how it sounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
In what sense of pointless are you meaning? Performance or sound?

Performance wise, your muffler delete did nothing. However, a better flowing downpipe will definitely help. Our catback from the factory is actually great, only the Downpipe is restricting. So it would increase performance for sure at least a little. Catless is the most gain and High Flow Cats are more subtle.

Sound wise, you'll hear much more turbo sound for sure if it's a bigger DP (which one you looking at?) and it will definitely add a deep tone to it. I have stock catback and catless DP and it is a NICE growl above 4k RPM at WOT.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In what sense of pointless are you meaning? Performance or sound?

Performance wise, your muffler delete did nothing. However, a better flowing downpipe will definitely help. Our catback from the factory is actually great, only the Downpipe is restricting. So it would increase performance for sure at least a little. Catless is the most gain and High Flow Cats are more subtle.

Sound wise, you'll hear much more turbo sound for sure if it's a bigger DP (which one you looking at?) and it will definitely add a deep tone to it. I have stock catback and catless DP and it is a NICE growl above 4k RPM at WOT.
Nice man sounds good I was deff looking at it performance wise but also sound. I was looking at the Cobb catted downpipe

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Nice man sounds good I was deff looking at it performance wise but also sound. I was looking at the Cobb catted downpipe

High quality piece just like anything else from Cobb. I didn't want to spend that kind of money so I got a Depo Racing Catless pipe and it's great.

I should have mentioned this in my first response, but you won't see much of a performance gain without a tune. Just like any other mod to our car. Ford limits us from the factory so when our car hits a certain point of power it cuts power and holds it there. A tune allows it to go above that and actually use the added performance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
High quality piece just like anything else from Cobb. I didn't want to spend that kind of money so I got a Depo Racing Catless pipe and it's great.

I should have mentioned this in my first response, but you won't see much of a performance gain without a tune. Just like any other mod to our car. Ford limits us from the factory so when our car hits a certain point of power it cuts power and holds it there. A tune allows it to go above that and actually use the added performance.
Yeah I'm planning on getting a stratified tune

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old post, but I'm thinking about doing the same with my 2014. Brian, do you have any sound clips that you can share from the downpipe and stock exhaust?

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
304 Posts
it's very quiet. I had the COBB Catback and DP before, it was much too droney. I switched back to stock catback, hated how quiet it was. then put a Borla on with the COBB DP. It sounds amazing and has no drone.

here is a review of my car when i switched back to a stock exhaust with a COBB DP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts