Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Both parts are performance based and both stock parts are awful. I would suggest going with the IC first, then DP. Let me know if you have any other questions :) I'll be glad to help you out man!

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Stock downpipe isn't too bad when used on the tiny stock turbo. Guys aren't seeing much of a gain swapped it out to even a catless design. If it was used on a bigger turbo then it would become the choke point.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You're right, there isnt a huge gain because the stock turbo is small. If you do look at the design, it is pretty much a wall. Even with a swap from K03 to K04 would be hard without the DP replaced.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't want to thread jack here but a quick question regarding IC. Are you all saying the CORE is a choke point or should someone that isn't tuned just go ahead and grab the core and piping all at once? Or could we just get the core and use stock piping assuming the car is running stock turbo ?

....I love my ST

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Don't want to thread jack here but a quick question regarding IC. Are you all saying the CORE is a choke point or should someone that isn't tuned just go ahead and grab the core and piping all at once? Or could we just get the core and use stock piping assuming the car is running stock turbo ?
The stock core is so small and dinky. If you look at pictures of side by side comparisons of the stock vs. CP-e (or any other brand), there is a major difference. I'm not sure if they use that stock IC on any other car, but if they DID create that from scratch, it must have been a new designer's first assignment or a $100 budget. If you were to upgrade to any other IC, the stock piping has a hard time staying connected to the IC's. This is just based on the numerous threads saying how people keep blowing their charge pipes under any sort of pull.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Really cause yellowjacket has a turbo upgrade with aftermrket cooler but stock charge pipes and he is fine

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I went Dp first and noticed better throttle response and better top end. Did that help?? Didn't think so.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
FMIC. there is very little if anything to be gained from after market charge pipes....

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The stock core is so small and dinky. If you look at pictures of side by side comparisons of the stock vs. CP-e (or any other brand), there is a major difference. I'm not sure if they use that stock IC on any other car, but if they DID create that from scratch, it must have been a new designer's first assignment or a $100 budget. If you were to upgrade to any other IC, the stock piping has a hard time staying connected to the IC's. This is just based on the numerous threads saying how people keep blowing their charge pipes under any sort of pull.
Quit spouting bad info. Plenty running stock charge pipes and even with big turbos.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
The core is less of a restriction, and more of a poor heat conductor. A larger core does flow better, but more importantly its increased surface area results in a greater drop in temperature. Lower temperature = better resistance to detonation, so you can use more timing advance and get more power out of the mixture. This specifically shows up as greater low end torque, and more power overall.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ya, from what im told as long as you stock clamps are good and tight those charge pipes are good to 400hp

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Ya, from what im told as long as you stock clamps are good and tight those charge pipes are good to 400hp
Thanks for that input. Was contemplating piping into my ic build. I was figuring they would prob be fine, or at least fine with new clamps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dowpipe ! Its winter, you got a little time before its heat soak weather again. My IATs have been within 10 degrees of ambient now that its cooled down. I went catless downpipe first.

·
Super Moderator
9,279 Posts
Dowpipe ! Its winter, you got a little time before its heat soak weather again. My IATs have been within 10 degrees of ambient now that its cooled down. I went catless downpipe first.

This thread has been untouched for 6.75 years.

Also, always do fmic first.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
downpipe FTW, go loud or go home!! who needs cooling if you got noise!! #soundlikearacecar #vroomvroom

21 - 40 of 44 Posts