Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that added a catless DP after a cat back exahust (brand irrelevant), how would you describe the sound/noise/tone/volume change? Did it make it a little or alot louder? Deeper tone? In car experience better/worse/indifferent? Etc?

·
Registered
289 Posts
A LOT louder ( Borla CBE and I did high flow cat, I couldn't imagine catless at WOT)

At idle it cruising it isn't that much different.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
For you guys that added a catless DP after a cat back exahust (brand irrelevant), how would you describe the sound/noise/tone/volume change? Did it make it a little or alot louder? Deeper tone? In car experience better/worse/indifferent? Etc?
Def louder...in a good way. Same experience for me, no noise difference cruising, but if you get on it, its smile city...plus you can hear the turbo just whistling at startup ..i have the Cobb Catted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No really, it's INSANE how well the stock DP quiets the car down. I too had a Borla CBE, then threw a catlss DP later on and... BRBLBRBLBRBLRBLPOPPOPPOPOPOPOP

·
Registered
91 Posts
No really, it's INSANE how well the stock DP quiets the car down. I too had a Borla CBE, then threw a catlss DP later on and... BRBLBRBLBRBLRBLPOPPOPPOPOPOPOP
Love to see these posts. Have a catless dp sitting in my room waiting to be Installed. I also have a borla cbe already installed. Can't wait to hear the results

·
Registered
945 Posts
I did catback (Roush) before downpipe, at low rpm's and load it's not a ton louder except you're gonna hear your turbo all the time now (think diesel bros) even at idle. BUT, when you press the sauce lever you're gonna be surprised, its gonna rasp and scream like a raped ape. Enjoy the noises and violating prius' ethics.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did catback (Roush) before downpipe, at low rpm's and load it's not a ton louder except you're gonna hear your turbo all the time now (think diesel bros) even at idle. BUT, when you press the sauce lever you're gonna be surprised, its gonna rasp and scream like a raped ape. Enjoy the noises and violating prius' ethics.
LMAO :lol: this is my favorite explanation HAHAHAHAHA

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
This.

With mine, I used the AWE Track Edition catback and mated it to an MBRP catless dp so basically all my exhaust has in it is the resonator that AWE uses and that's it so.....it's loud. How much turbo noise you will gain will depend a little on your catback choice but it's neat. Low rpm, the car just grumbles but you can still have a conversation around the car. Even going through town and shifting easy at lower RPM's the car still isn't crazy loud, but when you get on it and on mine it's about when you pass 3500 RPM is when the volume knob starts to really turn and goes up fast. Exhaust is just how your car farts and it's about flow, if you remove a fairly restrictive catted stock dp and replace it with a well bent dp with no cat, now your car can fart much better. So now instead of the ST being 'silent but deadly' now with no cat and a good cbe the ST will now let out some nasty sounds that will 'clear a room.' Lol, I have no idea where the fart comparison came from but that's how I see it :)

Bottom line, it will be very much noticeably louder but more so at higher RPM but it will be louder across the board. It's awesome. Do it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A LOT louder ( Borla CBE and I did high flow cat, I couldn't imagine catless at WOT)

At idle it cruising it isn't that much different.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Borla cbe here with cnt racing catless and it is stupid loud wot. Normal driving is good it’s only when wot. And with stratified crackles and pops it’s pops like crazy. Kinda obnoxious but of course I knew that and I still run it. Just kinda sketched about getting pulled for it one day. But as far as drivability after the downpipe. I feel like it’s more smooth with the shifts and with new tune its well put together and the car is a lot more smooth compared to the stage 1 Cobb ots

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I noticed about 20% louder, 5% deeper, and about 30% more drone.

MBRP 3" catback with a Depo Racing catless DP

I will say this, coasting down, the crackles and pops are just heavenly!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I noticed about 20% louder, 5% deeper, and about 30% more drone.

MBRP 3" catback with a Depo Racing catless DP

I will say this, coasting down, the crackles and pops are just heavenly!

Can you run the crackles and pops tune with a 100 cell catted downpipe? And even if you can will it damage the cat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can you run the crackles and pops tune with a 100 cell catted downpipe? And even if you can will it damage the cat?
any tune dumping fuel down the exhaust will damage a cat, imho highflow cats are a waste of money, just go catless, its cheaper, and it wont break like a hiflow cat will(they always die faster than your factory cat will)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
any tune dumping fuel down the exhaust will damage a cat, imho highflow cats are a waste of money, just go catless, its cheaper, and it wont break like a hiflow cat will(they always die faster than your factory cat will)
Well I've already ordered the catted downpipe. My issue is I still have to show all the monitors ready 4 inspection every year which I know I'll still have to run a defiler but at least want it to look like there's something there if they look.

·
Super Moderator
7,059 Posts
Well I've already ordered the catted downpipe. My issue is I still have to show all the monitors ready 4 inspection every year which I know I'll still have to run a defiler but at least want it to look like there's something there if they look.
To be honest, i always tell people to go catless, and run a defouler. You will most likely need a defouler anyway, to pass emmissions. Which is why you need to get familiar with a local auto mechanic. Mine charges me a coffee and bagel to overlook my catless ridiculousness. Networking is the way to go. Another point, a proper mechanic is hard to come by, i dont trust anyone with my car.

Direct quote feom my tech " I'm not your mechanic, I only do inspections and alignments, this is your baby" This coming from one of my best friends, lol

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Can you run the crackles and pops tune with a 100 cell catted downpipe?
Sure, I ran it with the OEM cat for a while before I went catless. the cat will muffle it a little bit, a 100 cell will muffle it less(by a good amount if I had to guess) that the OEM one does. but its doable, Strat just reccoments that you have an aftermarket turbo back exhaust.

if you can will it damage the cat?
thats a tough one to say long term. Strat has said that it shouldn't damage anything. however I have a hard time believing that it doesn't put some kind of extra stress on it. it may be fine, it may only take 1 year instead of 10 before it will be due for replacement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sure, I ran it with the OEM cat for a while before I went catless. the cat will muffle it a little bit, a 100 cell will muffle it less(by a good amount if I had to guess) that the OEM one does. but its doable, Strat just reccoments that you have an aftermarket turbo back exhaust.

thats a tough one to say long term. Strat has said that it should damage. however I have a hard time believing that it doesn't put some kind of extra stress on it. it may be fine, it may only take 1 year instead of 10 before it will be due for replacement.
https://youtu.be/vIAG2hLYQ4c?t=78

thats what happens when you dump fuel through a cat whether its from a popping tune(antilag) or a 2 step, it won't break it right away but it will eventually break it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Late to the party but wanted to throw in my super timely hindsight wisdom. Moderate to major regret. I wish I’d read more about downpipes before buying. I ignorantly thought that a high flow catted dp would do the job of the factory one but with less restriction.

Wrong.

I can run about an hour or two before the car throws the dreaded 420 with the COBB unit. I’m going to have to run a defouler anyway it seems so I wish I’d just gone in full rowdy and run catless. A $500 dollar mistake because who tf wants a used high flow catted dp? Exactly no one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Late to the party but wanted to throw in my super timely hindsight wisdom. Moderate to major regret. I wish I’d read more about downpipes before buying. I ignorantly thought that a high flow catted dp would do the job of the factory one but with less restriction.

Wrong.

I can run about an hour or two before the car throws the dreaded 420 with the COBB unit. I’m going to have to run a defouler anyway it seems so I wish I’d just gone in full rowdy and run catless. A $500 dollar mistake because who tf wants a used high flow catted dp? Exactly no one.
I got my high flow catted dp from a friend who didnt like it anymore. So I bet someone would take it off your hands. He even installed it for me lol

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Wrong.

My 100 cell was under $250. You can get a catless DP from Depo for $189. I reverted back to stock for my emissions test and didn't have any problems although with stage 3 bolt ons and a stock tune it runs like complete garbage got -3.8 corrections. It also gave him her own free catback a little drone with the slightest throttle input. And when wide open throttle it's definitely louder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
16 Participants
2017 Ford Focus ST
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing