Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I recently installed a catless downpipe and normally everything is fine, but for some odd reason if I sit still for long enough (and oddly enough at only one restaurant in town...seriously has only happened in their drive thru) the exhaust starts to smoke quite badly, like constant and very visible (at night at least).

Can't tell what is causing the excess smoke, the color is a grey-white. Makes me worried and really confused that it only happens there, even if I sit still other places it is fine. The distance I have driven it or how I have driven it don't seem to play a role either as it has occurred driving straight there, or even driving all around town and then there.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone got anything? I really want to make sure my car is okay.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like you're burning coolant. Could be from the block or the turbo. I'd start by checkin coolant levels first to confirm. From there, I would suggest a compression test, then if erything looks okay, take a look at the turbo.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sounds like you're burning coolant. Could be from the block or the turbo. I'd start by checkin coolant levels first to confirm. From there, I would suggest a compression test, then if erything looks okay, take a look at the turbo.
I don't have anything or know anyone with a compression tester, where could I go to get that done? A performance shop? And do you have a ballpark on cost? I really don't have the money to deal with this atm and have no idea where to go, never had this type of issue before. I took a video as well, will post in a minute.

Here is the video I just took after driving a while and sitting to see if anything would happen, nothing did, then I drove to get a drink from sonic, and the second I got in line it started to smoke, didn't have my phone to take video then. I then drove home casually parked and took this video.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just talked to a friend at O'Reilly's they rent testers and he has blown a few subie motors and rebuilt them, So I will see if he can help with seeing what is wrong. What would I do to see if the turbo is bad (Besides shaft play)?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like mist, how cold is it there, happens to mine when really cold and goes away once all condensation is burnt off.
This is not condensation...It is like 80 F (27 C) and very low humidity, and only happens after a while of driving so condensation should have already been evaporated by then (about 30 minutes or so of driving before video)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Water is a (by)product from an internal cumbustion gasoline engine. All engines.

Seems counterintuitive, but that's chemistry for ya. I do not claim to understand it, but it is what it is.
Oh I know about that, I am a mechanical engineer. But that is not condensation coming from the exhaust. I have worked on many race cars with straight pipes, none have ever smoked in this city or any city we have ran the cars in.

But despite that, none of them were ever turboed and this is my first turbo vehicle, so still learning how to diagnose these types of issues.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well worse comes to worse.. white is coolant... bad head gasket, bad turbo, block cracked, etc...

But this is thin white smoke and not thick white smoke. I'd chalk this up to nothing more than moisture/condensation within the exhaust system. If you're billowing like a steam train, you've got issues. This, this I don't think is serious. But you can always pop open your thermostat while the engine is cold, start it, and look for bubbles forming, or check the levels of coolant religiously over the course of a few days.

·
Registered
2014 MK3 FoST MRX EFR Turbo Tangerine Scream (German Built)
332 Posts
I had a similar issue on one of my 20V turbo car years ago as soon as I changed DP. Turned out that Lambda sensor had failed. Replaced it to a new one, no more smoke and all worked out well. You may want to check your sensor with the local shop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have this exact same issue with mine since installing a catless downpipe. I think the reason that this happens is because the downpipe removed some backpressure, just enough for a drop of oil to leak from the rear shaft seal of the turbo. Just one drop will create the smokeshow that you are seeing.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have this exact same issue with mine since installing a catless downpipe. I think the reason that this happens is because the downpipe removed some backpressure, just enough for a drop of oil to leak from the rear shaft seal of the turbo. Just one drop will create the smokeshow that you are seeing.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
So you have the happend every now and then or has it only occurred once or so?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
When I had my DP this happened especially at first from the exhaust. Then every now and then I would get some thin white smoke and it was no big deal. It would dissipate and be gone. Did you put on the DP yourself? Make sure it has a solid seal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Burning oil is light grey almost bluish in color. I don't think you are leaking oil, but to be sure check your oil levels.

It could indeed be a leaking coolant, and i may have bern going on for awhile but filtered out by the cat. To be safe, check your coolant levels, then get a compression test.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Burning oil is light grey almost bluish in color. I don't think you are leaking oil, but to be sure check your oil levels.

It could indeed be a leaking coolant, and i may have bern going on for awhile but filtered out by the cat. To be safe, check your coolant levels, then get a compression test.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Update: Bought coolant as it was low (been low since I got trans replaced a month ago but have been traveling so didn't fill it back up) but it didn't seem to get lower over time, will fill and see how that goes. Went to O'Reilly's and talked to my friend he thinks I should be fine, but if anything I can go back and get a compression test. Will see what happens from here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts