Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...is every smog tech and police officer just uneducated or what? Cuz I just found this chart in Appedix C of the Smog Check Manual on the bar.ca.gov and it claims Oil Separators/ Filters - Crankcase Gas Filter does not require an EO number from CARB to be legal and pass smog. So how come most retailers (EG CJ Pony Parts) WILL NOT sell me a catch can under the guise of "Not Smog Exempt, not legal for sale or use in CA" when this CA document clearly states otherwise...

I called the Referee and they are gonna call me back with an answer in a few days, but I wanted to share this with the community as if it proves to be true, it would be a big deal for everyone in CA to know they can run catch cans so long as they keep a copy of this document in their glovebox.

Document can be found at: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Retailers have every right to not sell something. Its their business and its them reducing legal exposure.
Totally understand and respect that, Im merely calling into the question them saying that the part is "not legal for sale or use in California" not the fact they dont want to sell it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You'll probably need some kind of CARB sticker, lol. I used to have that for an AEM CAI on my old Subaru. Bright red and stuck out super bad... That was through 2000-2008 in CA. Still top of the food chain in mod restrictions by State back then (and long before, that!).

An oil catch can isn't hard to hide from 'plain sight'. Surprisingly they require minimal mounting support as far as I know. Just make sure you have enough tubing ;)

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll probably need some kind of CARB sticker, lol. I used to have that for an AEM CAI on my old Subaru. Bright red and stuck out super bad... That was through 2000-2008 in CA. Still top of the food chain in mod restrictions by State back then (and long before, that!).

An oil catch can isn't hard to hide from 'plain sight'. Surprisingly they require minimal mounting support as far as I know. Just make sure you have enough tubing ;)
I was thinking about where to hide it, It wouldnt be hard to run the lines behind the charge pipe down to behind the passenger fog lamp. They cant exactly see it cuz its right up against the engine behind the manifold. What do you think?

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Damon stage 1, location #2 is pretty hidden (where mine is). It's behind the front drivers tire basically. Here is a pic before I adjusted it it up one more mounting hole and cut the drain tube. Looking at the driver's side wheel. It was sitting too low initially.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think thats where the Mishimoto one mounts, there is an unused bolt hole in the trans case there as well you can use for mounting.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, State Referee emailed me today, and he just sent over a copy of the same chart, but he provided a direct phone number for his office so im gonna call and see if I can talk to him to make sure the action of replumbing isnt considered illegal. But its looking like its pretty legal for our cars on the front PCV cuz our check valve is on the block and not on the manifold, seems like as long as it comes after the valve its legal, but im gonna call just to be sure.

Reactions: bobharly

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received a phone call first thing in the morning today from a Ronald Edmondson, very nice man. He's the Region 3 State Referee from Pierce University, he informed me all catch cans are 100% legal for use so long as you follow the directions for installation and dont try to run a vacuum line off the can (who does that?!). Said as long as its being used for its intended purpose its 100% legal for use in California and wished me a nice day and a healthy engine. A++ service from this guy.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Nice work getting that officially sorted out!

So which OCC are you gonna buy?? =D

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YEET! Cancelled the order, I am NOT moving my fan controller or High Pressure fuel line to mount those, gotta find someone who will sell me the JLT ones I like their mounting locations way more.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I really hate California BS… I ordered a banjo nipple for my TS IWG on Amazon and the seller emailed me a couple days later and said it’s illegal in California. Luckily I overnighted one from EdgeAutosports as well and that arrived with no issues. California sucks. If it weren’t for the weather I’d be out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really hate California BS… I ordered a banjo nipple for my TS IWG on Amazon and the seller emailed me a couple days later and said it’s illegal in California. Luckily I overnighted one from EdgeAutosports as well and that arrived with no issues. California sucks. If it weren’t for the weather I’d be out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
we bought a house in Idaho with the plan to move there last year, sadly the family is dragging their feet and doesnt want to commit....I am almost completely packed and nobody else has lifted a finger and there is talk of selling the house now...I HATE THIS STATE GET ME OUTA HERE.

Legit, even if you have CARB legal parts on your car, if the officer doesnt understand what you have done, or just thinks your trouble, he will still give you a ref ticket and take you off the road. I have so much anxiety over this crap cuz my car looks really aggressive, cuz thats how I like it, it looks nice, but to the police it looks like "trouble". So I often find myself excitedly ordering parts, only to return them as soon as they arrive or just never installing them cuz my depression and anxiety get the better of me. My family thinks its ridiculous that my only motive for moving out of state is car stuff, but when something is your passion, and the state you live in is HELL BENT on destroying the very thing you love so much...it really gets to you after a while...my car is MY PROPERTY, the government should have no say in what I do with MY PROPERTY. But they use the excuse of "you drive it on our roads" to control us. Im just so sick of it here! I was supposed to be leaving for Idaho next week, but instead im stuck here because my sister got a promotion and is using that as an excuse to tie down the family, so I have been forced to take another position here at my current employer that gave me more hours, instead of leaving to a better place....

Sorry for the rant....I just...have a lot of pent up anxiety and depression...Your statement just kinda reminded me...of why my life sucks so much right now. Nothing against you, you seem like a cool guy. It just kinda....sent me into a tail spin..needed to vent.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Relax... take a deep breath. You're in the same boat I'm in. I have a 2017 ST too! In other words you're not due for a visual inspection or smog check until 2025. That's 3+ years from now, alot can happen by then. You could be living in another state or have a different car by then. Relax

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Relax... take a deep breath. You're in the same boat I'm in. I have a 2017 ST too! In other words you're not due for a visual inspection or smog check until 2025. That's 3+ years from now, alot can happen by then. You could be living in another state or have a different car by then. Relax
Your right...I should just put this Roush intake on my car thats sitting in front of me instead of returning it out of fear of the "what if"...I just psych myself out a lot...and I kinda spiraled there for a minute...2 friends are in a discord call with me rn and helped me feel better.

Reactions: SDCheetah

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
we bought a house in Idaho with the plan to move there last year, sadly the family is dragging their feet and doesnt want to commit....I am almost completely packed and nobody else has lifted a finger and there is talk of selling the house now...I HATE THIS STATE GET ME OUTA HERE.

Legit, even if you have CARB legal parts on your car, if the officer doesnt understand what you have done, or just thinks your trouble, he will still give you a ref ticket and take you off the road. I have so much anxiety over this crap cuz my car looks really aggressive, cuz thats how I like it, it looks nice, but to the police it looks like "trouble". So I often find myself excitedly ordering parts, only to return them as soon as they arrive or just never installing them cuz my depression and anxiety get the better of me. My family thinks its ridiculous that my only motive for moving out of state is car stuff, but when something is your passion, and the state you live in is HELL BENT on destroying the very thing you love so much...it really gets to you after a while...my car is MY PROPERTY, the government should have no say in what I do with MY PROPERTY. But they use the excuse of "you drive it on our roads" to control us. Im just so sick of it here! I was supposed to be leaving for Idaho next week, but instead im stuck here because my sister got a promotion and is using that as an excuse to tie down the family, so I have been forced to take another position here at my current employer that gave me more hours, instead of leaving to a better place....

Sorry for the rant....I just...have a lot of pent up anxiety and depression...Your statement just kinda reminded me...of why my life sucks so much right now. Nothing against you, you seem like a cool guy. It just kinda....sent me into a tail spin..needed to vent.
Yeah I totally agree with you brother, the Government has too much power and controls too many aspects of our lives. If the government wants to tell me what to do with my car, they should be paying my loan... That being said, there is nothing I can do about it so I try not to stress out too much about it. I will be voting for Gov. Newsom to get recalled and kicked to the curb. It's been a super weird past year +, everyones trippin on one thing or another so you're not alone in that feeling.

I love Idaho, I used to have a house there and went to U of I for a couple years.

Hang in there brother!

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,611 Posts

Well, you don't have to stay with the family? Might just be time to leave.

May find it more doable in a state with lower taxes?

Could find some like minded friends and leave together if they would make good roommates to cut down on living expenses.

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
Come on out to Kansas; headlights, tail lights and a horn and you;'re good to go. Just not western Kansas; it's flat and boring.

Reactions: DJFreshlySnipes
1 - 20 of 21 Posts