Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a pcv occ to have a whistle?

I purchased a new billet pcv occ from jbr recently. After installation, i noticed a whistle that stays constant as long as you are on the throttle. I only notice it while driving. JBR was quick to reply to my email and said to check all connections which i had already done multiple times.

I unhooked the hoses from the can but left it mounted and reconnected the stock pcv valve to the intake manifold. The whistle was gone. So, obviously this is an issue with the can itself so i removed the whole thing. JBR then says to try teflon tape on the fittings. I teflon taped it up and re-installed it just to have the same exact whistle it had without tape.

JBR gives me an RMA after i requested to return it for a refund. They receive the can, pressure test it in shop and dont hear a whistle. It has marks from being installed twice and he refuses to refund me for it. This test did nothing because the whole issue is that it whistles while air is moving through the can. Its not an issue of holding pressure. Maybe they never installed these and tested them on real cars?

·
Vendor
645 Posts
I don't think you fully understand how the PCV system works Chris, No air passes though the catch can when you are on the throttle. If it did you would have no boost. Based on the information you gave us, the only logical thing for us to do would be to perform a pressure test, which we did. We sent you the video of the test where we applied 30PSI to the can and it made no sound.

Honestly, I think the drain was left open but you say it was closed. It was open when we received it back for testing. An open drain would exhibit a sound that could resemble a whistle.

These have been in development for over 10 months and testing for over 6 months. 31 are currently in use with no whistles reported.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The valve was turned horizantal each time while on the car. Fully closed. I repackaged the can the way it was shipped to me... fittings in seperate bags and valve open

Seeing as how the car only whistles while the can is attached, its clearly coming from the can. The can did catch oil as its intended to do, but i will not listen to the sound it makes. JBR was quick to reply to various emails, but there is an issue that only occurs when the can is attached

·
Vendor
645 Posts
Chris, I believe you when you say that there was a whistle of some sort when the catch can was installed but I'm very confident it is not coming from the catch can.

You're less than an hour from me. Drop by and I'll install it on your car. That's how confident I am that it's not the catch can.

Thanks,
James

·
Super Moderator
7,450 Posts
Now that's a great way to sort this out.

@ckopp636 yes [email protected] deleted your message in the other thread, and edited the other. It has been noted and recorded.

Personally, JBR makes top notch stuff. Some of it is a little late to the party, but they are always upgrades compared to existing models. I'd be running this can if I didnt already have a dual Damond setup. In 5 plus years involved with this platform, never heard of a OCC whistling. Also never heard any legitimate complaints about JBR's products, well besides their coldside BOV pipe.

Jamie is offering to install it at their shop, I would take him up on the offer. One way or another, a resolution shall happen. I am very interested in the results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted this in the other thread, it should have went here.

JBR made the install instructions super easy to understand and follow and oem connectors are fool proof. However, there is a noise that is only present when the can is hooked into the pcv system.

I chose JBR to support a fairly local company and because my brother had their original can as well as a couple other items with no complaints. I waited 2 weeks longer than I was initially told the wait would be (ordered 9/1 shipped 11/1 but told 6 weeks from time of order). I am not satisfied with the item due to the sound that only occurs if the can is on the car.

Maybe i do not understand just how an occ works, but there isnt really any way to mess up this simple of an install

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will also say this, JBR was always quick to reply to any email I sent them whether it be asking for an update on eta or questions about what the whistle may be.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yea i mean you cant beat or argue with the maker of the can willing to install it, itll prove not necessarily one of you right or wrong, but itll prove where the whistle is or was coming from and also maybe find something that needed adjusted or to let people aware of during install, not that theres anything wrong with the can but maybe theres something the OP was doing during install that others should be aware of as to not get the whistle. And I dont know where you had it mounted and how you have your grill opened or cut or if you do at all or if you have a vented hood, but id imagine its possible that air flowing in through your grill or hood at the right direction hitting something you mounted or moved while installing the can could create a noise of some sort. But either way I would absolutely drive 1 hour, **** id drive 2 hours if a parts maker offered me install on something i bought.

·
Registered
962 Posts
All your replies are null and void if you wont take the simple kindness of man offering to install the product for you. I mean if your confident it was the can then go to JBR and let him install it the only thing youll get Id imagine is either a refund or hell prolly swap it for another can to see if that one does it and if not there ya go. But if you wont take him up on that generous of an offer...man, i dont know, maybe it wasnt the can. Id like to believe you that maybe it was a defective can or something but if no one else is having whistles and ive installed catch cans with no whistles and hes willing to install it with you to see if it does whistle please god tell me your going to take the offer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do appreciate the offer to install the catch can at their shop. If they install it and there is no whistle, my apalogies. If there is still a whistle, maybe they would have a better answer as to what is causing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not have the check valve.

My first thought when i heard the whistle was, "what did i mess up"? I tripple checked all connections and everything was plugged up tight snap lock fit, hose clamps tight, fittings tight (even thread taped on second install), and drain valve closed. I thought maybe i damaged the pcv while rotating the stock hose so i checked that. I disconnected the catch can but left it bolted on the car. There was no whistle. This tells me that i did not damage the plastic pcv valve and that its not an aerodynamic wind whistle thing. Also, its a constant noise whether barely moving in first or cruising down the highway. Im lost as to what it could be aside from something to do with the can itself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
UPDATE.

I ordered a catch can from Damond Motorsports because with my job and hours, I have no chance to get to Illinois within any reasonable time for an in shop installation.

I followed Damond's directions as which hose goes where and how to position the pcv hose but i used JBR's method of removing the airbox and reaching behind the intake for installation.

I took the car for a drive and the Damond MotorSports pcv catch can does not whistle one bit. AGAIN, NO WHISTLE FROM DAMOND'S PRODUCT.

There was no installation error on my end. The JBR can whistles and that's all there is to it. Complete waste of money and time. JBR's symposer delete will be going in the trash for a different company's plate as well because I will no longer run JBR products on my vehicle.

This is a new product and could have issues. Understandable. What's not ok is that you refuse to stand behind it unless the customer takes off work and spends more time and money to drive to your shop. The product is junk and the company should take their customer's word and stand behind it.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
You’re about an hour from JBR’s shop?

They weren’t willing to work with you during one of your days off?

I’m not a JBR fan-boy nor am I running any of their gear but it seemed like they were reasonably trying to make it right for you.

Maybe you should try selling your JBR gear to recover some of your costs rather than throwing it all away.

·
Vendor
645 Posts
I was willing to work with the customer any day of the week. I'm at the shop every day. Never did I suggest the customer take off work. I tried and I believe that demonstrates I stand behind the work we do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assumed not being able to make it there since jbr hours listed online are 9-5 mon-fri. The shop is 1 hr 9 min from my house. Im not one to show up last minute somewhere and hold people up from going home at the end of the day.

The item was returned. It could have been refunded or just shouldnt have been given an rma period. That was another $10 down the drain and more wasted time.

I cannot morally sell this catch can to somebody else knowing its defective or noisy. I had gotten this on a memorial day sale so i got a decent deal, but now its $150 or so thrown away. Lesson learned.

Damond uses the same oem connectors. No difference of installation between the two but the new can doesnt whistle.

Maybe somebody in a local st group will get a free can to test out...

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you weren't willing to drive an hour to have them install it and look at it, that seems to be your fault. Don't go trashing them and their products, when Jaime went out of their way to come on here and offer this. All you had to do was message them on here and set up a time, they probably would have stayed a little later. Never have I heard of a catch can to whistle out of everyone I know that runs them, on any cars. A ton of them run JBR. and IF the issue was JBR's why not take it and let them install it to hear the whistle. Then you wouldnt have "lost" money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The catch can whistle is the whole issue at hand. A can should not whistle. The damond can I installed the same way does not whistle.

JBR offered to install it after having acted unprofessional on another post in the JBR section by deleting my entire comment and changing it to positive. That's the kind of company this is. Un-professional.

The product was returned and should have been refunded, not sent back to me. That was a waste of time and $10 shipping. After further argueing about it, the solution is for me to drive over an hour away to waste even more time and gas on this product.

Jbr can whistled, unhooked hoses but left can mounted, whistle went away. Hook hoses up again and it whistles. Remove can, humor jbr by adding teflon tape just to be sure and wouldnt ya know, it still whistles. Hooked up 3 times with same result. I installed the Damond can today in the same fashion with same oem connectors and the can doesnt make any sound what so ever. Quite clearly, there is an issue with the JBR can.

After having ordered the can, been told its a 6 week wait and then it wound up being 2 months exactly until it shipped, getting an rma and returning it having requested a refund just to have the junk sent back to me, posting online about it and jbr deleting and changing comments to make themselves look better, and then trying to make themselves look good by telling me to drive to their shop, i have zero interest in ever having another JBR product on my vehicle. I wanted to support a fairly local company but my money will go elsewhere from now on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts