Ford Focus ST Forum banner

cat sensor?

985 views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  mexrs 
#1 ·
So doing 60mph, car stutters. Then more.... then even more... few miles later... more.

I pull over... open the hood. idles 20sec and dies.

it starts up but doesn't stay running.

catless downpipe.

same cose as few months ago but sorted itself.

Automotive tire Gadget Rectangle Font Gas

Font Personal luxury car Electronic device Automotive tire Screenshot

See less See more
#3 ·
The 2195 would be the code worth chasing.

If the sensor is reporting correctly, it could Possibly be a fuel injector stuck wide open.

I would pull all 4 spark plugs and look for one that's really clean.
I have xdi injectors and pump with 4000 miles on them.

was running very well up until few miles ago.

could a vacum leak cause it? or damages o2 sensor wire?

At least I am not at a curvy road and no signal.

#4 ·
New doesn't mean working. This stuff is aftermarket, after all.

I would expect wire damage to be accompanied with multiple codes.

It's possible the upstream sensor failed for the 2195. Which would jack fuel trims one way and flood the cylinders, or starve the cylinders potentially.

But again. If the Upstream is reporting properly, then you are dumping fuel

#7 ·
I searched for the dam o2 sensor i had but cant find it lol!

Anyway here is what it MIGHT have been. What do you think?

A few days ago I pulled the ets charge pipe that goes up to the intake manifold to weld a 1/8npt bung for an extra WMI nozzle. I am not sure if i forgot to tighten the clamp closest to the throttle body or got loose but i decided to check now and it was loose that i can rotate the clamp around the silicone coupler.

I would assume if it was loose, I would have noticed issues under 30 psi boost. If it got loose yesterday i guess it may have thrown of fueling and i may have ended up with too much fuel? and the reason why it started after sitting for like 2 hours?

Either way, will order another o2 sensor

#8 ·
Your charge pipe is not an issue. This car is speed density, it would have no effect on fueling, but the car will have about 30hp when it blows a charge pipe.

So you have WMI??

Pull your charge pipe and see if that stuff has puddled up in the pipe. It's possible your nozzle was leaking especially if the tank is higher elevation than the nozzle.

#11 ·
Thanks for following up :) It was a normal day no rain.

It happened after getting in boost and holding speeds of about 105mph / 170 kph

What i do have is 2, Omni Power 4 Bar sensors installed since the oem was limited to 29psi. Since installing and getting the tune adjusted for that, it is the first long trip i did.

Today, i went out to drive it. Ran great, not codes and tested both pump gas tune and wmi tune {not final tune] and all went well.

Car also got to operating temps before doing WOT, no issues.

#12 ·
Doesn't have to be raining for the intercooler to have condensation build up and puddle inside.

I'm wondering if that's what happened. It's happened to me several times before. Long steady drive with little to no boost. A puddle of water forms inside the intercooler. Next time you get into boost pretty heavily, it sucks all that water into your engine.

Here's my thread about that, and how I fixed it.

#13 ·
Doesn't have to be raining for the intercooler to have condensation build up and puddle inside.

I'm wondering if that's what happened. It's happened to me several times before. Long steady drive with little to no boost. A puddle of water forms inside the intercooler. Next time you get into boost pretty heavily, it sucks all that water into your engine.

Here's my thread about that, and how I fixed it.

in that case humid but in that link you mention no codes so maybe not the case with mine.

#15 ·
I did contact the manufacturer of the 4 bar sensors to see if by any chance it could have been related. They offered to send me new ones free of charge. However if it's working now, changing wont tell me much 😅. Their customer support is no doubt A++ and didn't even buy directly from them. I told them to wait since it resolved for now.

I guess if I notice again after holding cruise speeds, might be a good idea to put a drain on intercooler as you have done. I would worry about doing it with it mounted due to possible shavings staying on the intercooler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.