Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 2013 focus st, and I'm looking at all the cat back options and I'm having trouble deciding. I like the price of the CNT racing cat back, but the flow master American Thunder exhaust I think will sound better under load. I don't want it to drone to much and I haven't been able to hear any in person. Opinions? Other Recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a lot of options, but the two that seem to be trending recently are from AWE and Thermal R&D. You can search on both to find recent threads in the forum. In fact, you can enter any manufacturer in the search box and see what people say about them.

Full disclosure: I purchased the Thermal R&D. It's a little north of $600, so more than the CNT that you're considering. But, I love it, and there's no drone (at least to me, but that seems to be a personal thing, as you'll find in the threads).

I've seen more complaints on this site for drone for systems like the Roush or the MBRP, but again, you'll find people who say the drone's killing them, and those who say "what drone?" There seems to be more consensus that the newer systems (like the AWE and Thermal) have mastered the drone problem. There are some good YouTube videos with sound samples for both systems, but of course, they'll sound different to you in person.

If you haven't heard any first-hand, you might consider searching Facebook for a Focus group in your area. I didn't do that before I bought the Thermal, but there are some good local meet-up groups where people have different exhaust systems.

Good luck, and I hope you find a system you enjoy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have the CNT. In my opinion it's very good if you just want something a couple of notches above stock. It does not pop or crackle or burble at all. I'm 41, so what I'm after may differ greatly from what a younger person may be looking for. I've had it for the better part of three months, I'm happy and I don't think I would change it for anything else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have the CNT and I love it. Absolutely no drone on the highway but still aggressive when you get on it. Extremely happy with it and the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been doing research for a week or so. If you want no drone, no crack Snapple pop noises, and don?t want to sound ricey, the CNT is the way to go. That?s the one I?m going to buy.

·
Registered
613 Posts
CNT seems like a great value and pretty civil. I would totally buy it if it was 3".

Your best bet is to get on youtube with headphones and listen to as many as you can. Comparison videos are the best vs stock so you have something to reference against using same camera, location (hopefully), etc.

The new AWE exhaust has a pretty unique sound, you might like it. I'd be worried about it getting too loud on a catless dowpipe, but if you're staying stock that might be a nice one. 3 Options- Track, Touring w/ no res, Touring w/ resonator. Last one is what I would get.

Personally I've been looking into quiet 3" exhausts. Milltek (3 different options) and the FSWerks stealth seem to be the best bets. Maybe the Thermal RD one, I haven't looked too much into that one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
CNT seems like a great value and pretty civil. I would totally buy it if it was 3".

Your best bet is to get on youtube with headphones and listen to as many as you can. Comparison videos are the best vs stock so you have something to reference against using same camera, location (hopefully), etc.

The new AWE exhaust has a pretty unique sound, you might like it. I'd be worried about it getting too loud on a catless dowpipe, but if you're staying stock that might be a nice one. 3 Options- Track, Touring w/ no res, Touring w/ resonator. Last one is what I would get.

Personally I've been looking into quiet 3" exhausts. Milltek (3 different options) and the FSWerks stealth seem to be the best bets. Maybe the Thermal RD one, I haven't looked too much into that one.
If you feel like making to drive to Tampa area, I have a Milltek catback for sale. PM me if you're interested.

Reactions: lvrbn94
1 - 7 of 7 Posts