Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How hard is the install on a 14 Focus ST?

2. Are hood pins really necessary?

If #2 is a yes, which pins do you guys use? Pics are heavily appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I haven't installed a CF hood but have had mine on and off; it's very simple but would recommend two people to make it easier to position.

Hood pins should be used for security and I'd personally recommend Aerocatch. Install is a bit tricky but Mighty Car Mods did a video explaining it well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't speak from a ST perspective, but I've had a CF hood before on my old Mazda. Two people would definitely help with the installation process, and I never used hood pins (the stock latch worked perfectly for me).

10399518_172952952783_6246518_n.jpg

I can only recommend taking your time and lining up the hood correctly, not every mold is perfect and you may have to do some adjusting to get it just right.

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts
I haven't installed a CF hood but have had mine on and off; it's very simple but would recommend two people to make it easier to position.

Hood pins should be used for security and I'd personally recommend Aerocatch. Install is a bit tricky but Mighty Car Mods did a video explaining it well.
Agreed. Hood pins are a must for non OEM hoods. I actually had a carbon fiber hood separate from the fiberglass frame. I was very lucky not to loose my windshield because of it. The Aerocatch hood latches are a very nice and very common piece.

·
Vendor
2,837 Posts
1. How hard is the install on a 14 Focus ST?

2. Are hood pins really necessary?

If #2 is a yes, which pins do you guys use? Pics are heavily appreciated.
2 people needed for install, it's super simple, I've installed them for customers in our parking lot. Hood pins are recommended by the manufacturer's lawyers, so you, or the person who potentially gets injured if your hood flies off, doesn't sue them.

Hood pins are an added safety precaution though and it's up to you if you want to cut into your hood or hire a body shop to install them. If the car sees the track, you may be required to run them. If your car has ever suffered a front end collision I would recommend them.

Other than that I have had the same hood on my car for 8 years, it's seen 23,000 miles (all street) and no hood pins, no problems.

Which hood are you looking at?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts