Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 FoST with ~73,000 miles on it. Engine related modifications are cobb turner, Depo beast FMIC, OCD resonator delete, Depo intake tube, and green filter. Yesterday after grabbing some food for lunch ! started up my car and after 2 to 3 seconds it died. I tried starting it again, but the car would just crank and not fire. I shut it down completely and tried starting it again. This time it started with no issues. Over the course of the day the car started fine a total of 4 times with no issues.

After a quick stop at harbor freight I wend out to my car and started it up. A few seconds after driving away in the parking lot is sputtered and died. This time when I attempted to restart the car it would crank but not fire. I tried this 5 or 6 times. Each time it would crank until I either hit the button again or it would time out. I disconnected the battery in the parking lot for 10 min to see if I could re-set the computers. After this the car started up and idled fine. I did not have power steering, my speedo didn't work, the gauges on the dash didn't work, my accessport wouldn't connect, and I kept getting a hill assist not available, and driving lamp fault. I was able to get the care home ~5 miles. Once home I turned the car off for a few seconds and re-started it. All issues were gone and the car was like normal again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Possibly the wiring harness TSB (I'm skeptical of this because of the symptoms and the mileage of the car when the first issues surfaced)/ Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

Thanks for your help!!

GlowingST

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 FoST with ~73,000 miles on it. Engine related modifications are cobb turner, Depo beast FMIC, OCD resonator delete, Depo intake tube, and green filter. Yesterday after grabbing some food for lunch ! started up my car and after 2 to 3 seconds it died. I tried starting it again, but the car would just crank and not fire. I shut it down completely and tried starting it again. This time it started with no issues. Over the course of the day the car started fine a total of 4 times with no issues.

After a quick stop at harbor freight I wend out to my car and started it up. A few seconds after driving away in the parking lot is sputtered and died. This time when I attempted to restart the car it would crank but not fire. I tried this 5 or 6 times. Each time it would crank until I either hit the button again or it would time out. I disconnected the battery in the parking lot for 10 min to see if I could re-set the computers. After this the car started up and idled fine. I did not have power steering, my speedo didn't work, the gauges on the dash didn't work, my accessport wouldn't connect, and I kept getting a hill assist not available, and driving lamp fault. I was able to get the care home ~5 miles. Once home I turned the car off for a few seconds and re-started it. All issues were gone and the car was like normal again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Possibly the wiring harness TSB (I'm skeptical of this because of the symptoms and the mileage of the car when the first issues surfaced)/ Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

Thanks for your help!!

GlowingST
I have seen many people on the site see weird accounts like you when the battery is going. I would start there.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Check the battery first. The ST has a lot of electronic goodies, and if the battery is too low, it will not start.
But you mentioned it died shortly after running.. Could be the TSB wire harness issue.
Another thing to check is for too much paint applied to the Neg ground post on the car frame from the battery. That is possible too.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happened again and now it's completely dead. Replaced the battery with the same result. I'm monitoring frp actual on my accessport and I'm only getting 15psi. Could it be a dead fuel pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New development....uninstalled my accessport and it started and drove fine....im thinking wiring splice TSB, or at least something electrical....

·
Registered
625 Posts
Happened again and now it's completely dead. Replaced the battery with the same result. I'm monitoring frp actual on my accessport and I'm only getting 15psi. Could it be a dead fuel pump?

Check the fuel pump relay. Also check the fuse but it's unlikely. The fuse is the top left under the glove box. Good luck because it's a real pain to get to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already checked the fuel pump fuse. It was good, but I replaced it anyways with a new one. Given the other issues that happened (i.e. power steering out and gauges out) I'm leaning towards and electrical gremlin....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Fuel pump/pressure problem seem illogical. That may cause it to not fire, but wouldn't alone cause all the other electrical symptoms.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuel pump/pressure problem seem illogical. That may cause it to not fire, but wouldn't alone cause all the other electrical symptoms.
Agreed. Does anyone know if the wire harness splice issue ever cause anyone's car not to start?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the grounds under the air box. All of them were tight, but I sanded them down and re tightened everything. I'm going to be doing the wiring splice tsb. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
337 Posts
After this the car started up and idled fine. I did not have power steering, my speedo didn't work, the gauges on the dash didn't work, my accessport wouldn't connect, and I kept getting a hill assist not available, and driving lamp fault. I was able to get the care home ~5 miles. Once home I turned the car off for a few seconds and re-started it. All issues were gone and the car was like normal again.

Thanks for your help!!

GlowingST
I had this problem where the guages didn't work, mine would actually be flickering sometimes, no hill start, no power steering, however I never had problems with the car starting properly. I know this sounds far off from the source of the problem, but I was searching for days and somehow I came to the conclusion to check the wheel speed sensor connections. There is one at each wheel I believe. I just took the wheel off at each corner and unclipped the connectors, blew into them and reconnected them. I have not had the problem since. Something easy to try.

My old problem thread: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...g-cluster-functions-random-lights-dash-2.html

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I checked the grounds under the air box. All of them were tight, but I sanded them down and re tightened everything. I'm going to be doing the wiring splice tsb. Any other ideas?

There are two more grounds under the battery tray...

Also check the engine side of the engine-to-chassis ground cable...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New updates....and I'm more confused.....I performed the wire harness splice TSB to the 2 splices in the engine bay. I cleaned up the grounds under the airbox and the main ground by the fuse box. I also confirmed that the ground going to the engine was tight. I drove the car for 15 minutes with ~ 4 start stop cycles with no issues. The last time I started it up it idled for about 1 minute and then died and I couldn't get it to start again. I was running the Cobb OTS 91 Stage 2 map so I switched to the Cobb OTS 91 Stage 1 map but that made no difference. I un-maried my accessport and then the car started right up with no issues. This makes no sense..........:furious::furious::furious::furious:

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
New updates....and I'm more confused.....I performed the wire harness splice TSB to the 2 splices in the engine bay. I cleaned up the grounds under the airbox and the main ground by the fuse box. I also confirmed that the ground going to the engine was tight. I drove the car for 15 minutes with ~ 4 start stop cycles with no issues. The last time I started it up it idled for about 1 minute and then died and I couldn't get it to start again. I was running the Cobb OTS 91 Stage 2 map so I switched to the Cobb OTS 91 Stage 1 map but that made no difference. I un-maried my accessport and then the car started right up with no issues. This makes no sense..........:furious::furious::furious::furious:
Makes perfect sense and you answered your question twice now. Get a hold of Cobb and make them give you a new AP. BTW there are 7 splices in the harness.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will test this therory out tonight and see if the same thing happens without the car tuned. I'm skeptical because I have been tuned for over 2 years and haven't had a single starting issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts