Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hopped in my car and I pressed the start button, everything lit up but the car didn’t start. There was no clicking like the starter was attempting to turn over or anything. And then the screen lit up with error codes. There was Engine Fault, Hill Assist Unavailable, and some others I can’t remember. My first reaction was to grab my AP and see what was going on. But the AP just says to make sure the ignition is on and it isn’t connecting to the car. I unplugged the battery for 10 minutes and when I hooked it back up, Relay 14 started buzzing which I believe is the PCM relay? I then swapped relays but R14 continued to buzz.
I tried using a battery charger because I had read other people had similar issues with low batteries. I tried jumping the car. I tried the unlock/lock method from a distance away. Both FOBs had the batteries changed in the last 6 months.
I had driven the car earlier today, no problems. The only thing I did differently is I had both FOBs in the car because I was going to drive h 1,200 miles tomorrow to go home. I have reason to believe the PCM isn’t getting power because the AP won’t connect to the car. Also the car is stating the engine is on when it’s clearly not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
521 Posts
How old is the battery in the car? When the battery goes in our cars it loses its mind until it's replaced.

It's not just about the voltage being low... If the battery loses a cell it's simply not going to function correctly, and I've had them be fine one night and have a dead cell the next morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is a 2016 so roughly 4 years old? I was planning having pulling the battery tomorrow and having it tested. Knowing my luck it lost a cell.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
521 Posts
Most likely, yes. At least batteries are relatively easy to change in the Focus, unlike my Transit where the battery is under the driver's seat.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
521 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just hopped in my car and I pressed the start button, everything lit up but the car didn’t start. There was no clicking like the starter was attempting to turn over or anything. And then the screen lit up with error codes. There was Engine Fault, Hill Assist Unavailable, and some others I can’t remember. My first reaction was to grab my AP and see what was going on. But the AP just says to make sure the ignition is on and it isn’t connecting to the car. I unplugged the battery for 10 minutes and when I hooked it back up, Relay 14 started buzzing which I believe is the PCM relay? I then swapped relays but R14 continued to buzz.
I tried using a battery charger because I had read other people had similar issues with low batteries. I tried jumping the car. I tried the unlock/lock method from a distance away. Both FOBs had the batteries changed in the last 6 months.
I had driven the car earlier today, no problems. The only thing I did differently is I had both FOBs in the car because I was going to drive h 1,200 miles tomorrow to go home. I have reason to believe the PCM isn’t getting power because the AP won’t connect to the car. Also the car is stating the engine is on when it’s clearly not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JUST started this problem this week. Had the exact same symptoms. Can’t check codes with Cobb, replaced battery and relay. Went to bed woke up and car killed itself. Please tell me you found the fix need that info fast lol!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured out what was causing my issue. I have an Injen intake and I had moved a grounding wire that was right underneath the shroud that surrounded the air filter. I’m guessing that grounding wire is the one for the PCM relay. I cleaned off the paint around where I put the ground wire (I thought the threads would be enough contact) and put some on dielectric grease and I haven’t had a problem since! It was a black wire right under the air cleaner. I’d check that and make sure it’s grounded really well. Hopefully that helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I figured out what was causing my issue. I have an Injen intake and I had moved a grounding wire that was right underneath the shroud that surrounded the air filter. I’m guessing that grounding wire is the one for the PCM relay. I cleaned off the paint around where I put the ground wire (I thought the threads would be enough contact) and put some on dielectric grease and I haven’t had a problem since! It was a black wire right under the air cleaner. I’d check that and make sure it’s grounded really well. Hopefully that helps!
I also have an Injen intake I will give this a try THANKS A TON! I’ll keep ya updated! Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could you give a little more clarity on that wire. I don’t seem to have a grounding wire loose anywhere I also don’t remember ever having to ground anything when I installed it. However my car did short when I first installed it but I just reset the battery

·
Super Moderator
6,736 Posts
Could you give a little more clarity on that wire. I don’t seem to have a grounding wire loose anywhere I also don’t remember ever having to ground anything when I installed it. However my car did short when I first installed it but I just reset the battery
The ground may not be loose, but a poor connection. There is a ground kind of under the airbox/battery box location. Disconnect it at the frame- scrape, file , sand, wire wheel (your choice) the paint from the frame to expose bare metal and reconnect the ground. I ran an extra ground wire from where the battery grounds to the chassis down to this point for a more positive connection.

Reactions: S3N037

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
562 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
562 Posts
It's dangerous out there.
Take these...

Let me know of you need anything else.