Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As he said in his original reply, the fact it is currently anywhere between 5 degrees and -15 degrees outside makes washing it himself impossible. I think he was just looking to find out if an auto-wash would be fine to get the corrosive salt off...which it certainly will.

That's kinda why I said do touchless only...those brushes scratch paint...and the people who hand wash them use towels that they used on the past 20 cars that are covered in tiny stones and dirt and scratch it just as much. Touchless still burns your clear coat, but at least it isn't scratching your car. Once in a while a touchless is 100% fine and won't cause your clear coat to just entirely die. Leaving salt on your car though...that will do some damage.

I'm by no means a "regular car folk" but I do understand that touchless auto wash > salt corrosion in the winter

Summer comes around...it is pretty rare for me to go near a touchless auto wash because I can clean it myself, considerably better, for cheaper, and throw on Griots sealant to protect my clear for 8 months instead of burning it.
I have never used a "touchless" car wash, or any other drive-through type one, as I do not trust that they will not damage my car- but that's just me.

My black 2017 is covered in salt, and it's killing me in some ways, but it's too cold to wash it because I'll end up with frostbite, and a car and a driveway covered in ice. This weekend it's supposed to moderate a bit into the 40's here in NJ, which is plenty warm enough for me to wash the car. As a parent of 2 young kids- washing my car is one of the few things that I still get to do that I enjoy...

Anthony

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Touchless all the way because our well water is mineralized, particularly with iron. Avoid the car washes with guide rails as they'll scratch up rims (doesn't the owners manual mention that? or is my mind just wanting it to be in there?).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Touchless all the way because our well water is mineralized, particularly with iron. Avoid the car washes with guide rails as they'll scratch up rims (doesn't the owners manual mention that? or is my mind just wanting it to be in there?).
Uhhh...I did not read that. LoL

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm not going to lie, the Focus has cheap paint to begin with. I'm not worried a bit about car washes causing extra wear on the paint job. got a $30 membership at a soap tunnel a quarter mile from my office, especially with this garbage weather and salt being dropped everywhere Ive been running through it 4 to 5 days a week. I was a little sad it wasn't opened this morning when it was -17* but I sure they will be back open tomorrow. now if I had a new black Audi I may worry about the wear to the finish a little more. giving it a wax a couple 2-3 times a year and still keeps the water beading up over a month later.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I washed my car by hand this afternoon (it's 60 degrees here in NJ today).

Since there's so much dry salt on the roads, I also sprayed the undercarriage of the car using one of those oscillating lawn sprinklers.

It's going to get salty and dirty again pretty much right away, but that's OK- I enjoy washing my cars.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
aside from rain, water has not touched my Focus.
So let me get this straight, you let rain touch it, but you won't wash the dirty ass rain water off? Ummm....that makes no sense at all, I like it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Uhhh...I did not read that. LoL
Umm I tend to stay away from the rails or is that just me, I have never managed to curb my wheels from a curb or the steel rails in a car wash.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Also I have an ST2 with a Sunroof and I use both, touchless, soft brush, and by hand. As soon as its above 60 degrees in Spring/Summer/Fall all by hand. Any other time of the year its whatever is close. I paid for the extra paint protection through Ford which gives the paint like a 5 year warranty I think so I don't really worry about the clear coat. As one person said Fords paint is **** anyways so if I get the 5 years out of the warranty on the paint Ill be happy. Plus up until then they have to fix every lil dot I speak of...muw hahahaha. But mainly I am commenting because if your sunroof isn't sealing tight, then something probably isn't lined or tighten correctly. You should be able to put just about any power wash pressure at a car wash to your sunroof and not exprience leaks. I have had all but 2 cars that didn't have sun roofs and I have never had a sunroof leak on me except for when I didn't have it shut tight. Otherwise they are always gravy, and if that gentleman who said they arent made to shut tight they kinda just lightly close against the seal...go head and stick your finger in between there and I think youll find they shut pretty tightly. Seriously though, it may be the tracks arent aligned or tightened correctly, the sunroof glass may not be tight enough, the seal could be out of position. Honestly it wouldnt be the first seal that's basically new that went bad either I have heard of that more then once, not on sunroofs, but door seals and trunks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm not going to lie, the Focus has cheap paint to begin with. I'm not worried a bit about car washes causing extra wear on the paint job. got a $30 membership at a soap tunnel a quarter mile from my office, especially with this garbage weather and salt being dropped everywhere Ive been running through it 4 to 5 days a week. I was a little sad it wasn't opened this morning when it was -17* but I sure they will be back open tomorrow. now if I had a new black Audi I may worry about the wear to the finish a little more. giving it a wax a couple 2-3 times a year and still keeps the water beading up over a month later.
Can I ask where the car wash is? I've been looking for reccs for ones with a membership like that.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Can I ask where the car wash is?
Of course, it's called Zippy's Autowash and they have three locations in Ann Arbor/Saline. First is just off State Street near 94, second is on Zeeb on the west side of Ann Arbor, and the newest one is just outside 9f downtown Saline on 12.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you guys take your antenna off the roof? Dealer told me when I took delivery they suggested to or they have seen them getting ripped off.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Do you guys take your antenna off the roof? Dealer told me when I took delivery they suggested to or they have seen them getting ripped off.
Touchless? No.

Classic drivethrough with big spinning brushes that I won't let touch my car because you know they'll swirl the paint? If I were to visit one, yes I would remove the antenna.

And... I always have to remember to swap the antenna for the camera mount. No driving away from the autocross with the camera still screwed in!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Touchless? No.

Classic drivethrough with big spinning brushes that I won't let touch my car because you know they'll swirl the paint? If I were to visit one, yes I would remove the antenna.

And... I always have to remember to swap the antenna for the camera mount. No driving away from the autocross with the camera still screwed in!
For the sake of your paint you should use only Touchless washes if you choose to use an automatic wash...and it's fine. If you go through a non-touchless then it could certainly cause issues with your antenna or rip it off I'd guess if it snagged it good enough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Of course, it's called Zippy's Autowash and they have three locations in Ann Arbor/Saline. First is just off State Street near 94, second is on Zeeb on the west side of Ann Arbor, and the newest one is just outside 9f downtown Saline on 12.
Thanks! Though I wish I were closer lol, I'm on the east side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be honest, I have never noticed anything leaking into the interior of my car. Where do you keep it? In the garage or outside? Perhaps due to temperature changes, problems arose with the seal and now it is allowing moisture to pass through. Just try to pour some water on the problem area and check if it leaks, then it will be much clearer. Did you experience this problem during the rain? I have never used a car wash. I always wash my car myself, this allows me to identify such problems immediately. I use the tools from Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Wash, Car Cleaning Products - OPS as they are very good at foaming. If a leak occurs, it can be immediately noticed. I hope you solve your problem. Good luck!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts