Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The drip pan is there for incidental water that enters when the roof is opened or CLOSED
So which is it, some water or no water at all should be making it in?

If course the drip pan is not there to compensate for bad seals, but the reason it is there is because SOME small amount of water getting past the seal is acceptable. And by design, that's just for normal falling water, water under extreme pressure can easily get past the seal. Doesn't necessarily mean that his seal is bad. Not saying that it for sure isn't bad or not put on right, it is after all a small sh!tbox Ford.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
So which is it, some water or no water at all should be making it in?

If course the drip pan is not there to compensate for bad seals, but the reason it is there is because SOME small amount of water getting past the seal is acceptable. And by design, that's just for normal falling water, water under extreme pressure can easily get past the seal. Doesn't necessarily mean that his seal is bad. Not saying that it for sure isn't bad or not put on right, it is after all a small sh!tbox Ford.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
No water should be making it past the seal when the roof is closed. When you are OPENING the roof, and some water is already on the roof of the car and the moonroof glass, or when you are CLOSING the roof when it starts raining, etc, SOME water will get in. This is what the drip pan is for. If the roof is in a static closed state, the seal should NOT be letting water in.

If the seal lets water in, it is not a seal anymore.

If your car is letting water in through a closed moonroof, the seal is bad and needs to be repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Okay, duly noted. Any recommendations on what to use to treat that seal to keep it soft?
Just a damp clean microfiber cloth is good.

If your seals get dry or discolored, 303 makes a product especially for door seals. Other companies make similar products, but I've had experience with the 303 stuff and it's good.

Product Material property Plastic bottle Household supply Liquid

·
Registered
77 Posts
I could buy a hose and wash my car in the back alley as I'm in a townhouse. But I pretty much always use carwashes if there's no line. Way more convenient for $5-$8. I've been using them forever and never had an issue with paint or anything else. I just really don't care enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If the seal lets water in, it is not a seal anymore.

If your car is letting water in through a closed moonroof, the seal is bad and needs to be repaired or replaced.
this is just not not true, those seals are not 100% water tight, not on Fords, not on GMs, not on Mercedes Benz and not on most cars. any amount of water that gets past the seal and is able to be drained away is 100% considered normal my manufactures.

Sunroof Leak

there was even a class action lawsuit against Mercedes Benz (E Class with W211 sunroofs) because cars were getting damaged from leaky sunroofs and they refused to cover them under warranty. In the lawsuit, the problem wasn't that water was getting in past the "bad" seals, but that there was a defect in the design of the WMS (Water Management System) AKA drip pans and that they were easily clogged and that they were not informing their customers that the drip pans needed to be periodically cleaned.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...lass-w-211-water-defect-class-action-lawsuit/

http://files.courthousenews.com/2011/11/28/Mercedes.pdf

IF sunroof seals were designed to be 100% water tight as you claim, then the lawsuit would have been as simple as you guys made sh!t seals, and you need to cover your sh!t seal under warranty end of story.

So yes, even the greatest German engineers building what they consider to be the most perfect cars ever built haven't been designing their seals to be anywhere near 100% water proof and some water getting past the seals is totally normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
this is just not not true, those seals are not 100% water tight, not on Fords, not on GMs, not on Mercedes Benz and not on most cars. any amount of water that gets past the seal and is able to be drained away is 100% considered normal my manufactures.

Sunroof Leak

there was even a class action lawsuit against Mercedes Benz (E Class with W211 sunroofs) because cars were getting damaged from leaky sunroofs and they refused to cover them under warranty. In the lawsuit, the problem wasn't that water was getting in past the "bad" seals, but that there was a defect in the design of the WMS (Water Management System) AKA drip pans and that they were easily clogged and that they were not informing their customers that the drip pans needed to be periodically cleaned.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...lass-w-211-water-defect-class-action-lawsuit/

http://files.courthousenews.com/2011/11/28/Mercedes.pdf

IF sunroof seals were designed to be 100% water tight as you claim, then the lawsuit would have been as simple as you guys made sh!t seals, and you need to cover your sh!t seal under warranty end of story.

So yes, even the greatest German engineers building what they consider to be the most perfect cars ever built haven't been designing their seals to be anywhere near 100% water proof and some water getting past the seals is totally normal.
Fine. I give up. Your right, and your moonroof is supposed to leak. Have fun with that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So far I've been hit with heavy rain and no leaks, it's just the pressurized car wash. Once more, I'll wait it out until after the winter and see if there is any change for the better or worse. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd like to get my car washed once a week with the salt on the roads...at least. But it's like -20 with the windchill so I am not trying to use my hose or a self spray deal.

Will the focus ST clear going into a car wash and having it done? I was told better to take the radio antenna off. Will the nose and front end clear going onto the track?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I'd like to get my car washed once a week with the salt on the roads...at least. But it's like -20 with the windchill so I am not trying to use my hose or a self spray deal.

Will the focus ST clear going into a car wash and having it done? I was told better to take the radio antenna off. Will the nose and front end clear going onto the track?
(Keep in mind this thread is from 2017 so the original replies and poster probably won't reply)

Yeah with as cold as it is right now for us homie it's best to wait for a more reasonable temp (it's real feel -14 outside for me right now so I feel you) so that you aren't driving a mobile ice cube from it freezing the moment you pull out of the bay.

I only use touchless washes if I can't do it myself and buy the cheapest possible option that sprays the undercarriage without spraying a ton of different chemicals on the car and burning off the clear coat. The ones that put you on a track will work, yes, but those are generally garbage and bad for your paint big time. Unless you mean a touchless wash with a track you sit on and "park" while it does its thing.

If you aren't worried about how terrible your paint will be afterwards, feel free to use the tracked brush or hand washed by people options...but be warned your paint will have a ton of swirls.

·
Registered
114 Posts
(Keep in mind this thread is from 2017 so the original replies and poster probably won't reply)

Yeah with as cold as it is right now for us homie it's best to wait for a more reasonable temp (it's real feel -14 outside for me right now so I feel you) so that you aren't driving a mobile ice cube from it freezing the moment you pull out of the bay.

I only use touchless washes if I can't do it myself and buy the cheapest possible option that sprays the undercarriage without spraying a ton of different chemicals on the car and burning off the clear coat. The ones that put you on a track will work, yes, but those are generally garbage and bad for your paint big time. Unless you mean a touchless wash with a track you sit on and "park" while it does its thing.

If you aren't worried about how terrible your paint will be afterwards, feel free to use the tracked brush or hand washed by people options...but be warned your paint will have a ton of swirls.
I did not look at the date to be honest! HaHa, I followed a link from another thread, the types where people get pissy because the question was asked again. I agree, my wife uses the car wash on her suv but I can't possibly keep it all clean so it is the best option. With this and the weather, even if it was 40 I am not hand washing it that cold and I can't store it for winter sadly. I would rather not use the car washes but to get the salt off it is kind of a trade off. I was afraid I might get the front end snagged and ripped or pull off if I was to low. It would not be often, maybe 4 times over the cold months. I do the pull in bays mostly in the summer then. I also try to avoid driving it when it is really nasty out and lots of salt down and big chunks of ice to hit out on the roads. Next up is dodging all the pot holes we will get soon.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I did not look at the date to be honest! HaHa, I followed a link from another thread, the types where people get pissy because the question was asked again. I agree, my wife uses the car wash on her suv but I can't possibly keep it all clean so it is the best option. With this and the weather, even if it was 40 I am not hand washing it that cold and I can't store it for winter sadly. I would rather not use the car washes but to get the salt off it is kind of a trade off. I was afraid I might get the front end snagged and ripped or pull off if I was to low. It would not be often, maybe 4 times over the cold months. I do the pull in bays mostly in the summer then. I also try to avoid driving it when it is really nasty out and lots of salt down and big chunks of ice to hit out on the roads. Next up is dodging all the pot holes we will get soon.
No worries! Honestly, it is preferred that you do reply to relevant threads vs creating the 40th thread with the same topic and such...so you're good. Just wanted to throw it out there in case you wondered why nobody replied who replied previously. :cool:

Are you stock height? Provided you're stock height yeah I have yet to see one that you'd rub or hit on...you should be able to eyeball if if needed. My local Sheetz (not sure where exactly you're from if you know what a Sheetz is) has honestly the best touchless wash I've ever used. $5 option is cheaper than anyone else, and it gets the entire car THEN IT EVEN DRIES IT. Usually you're getting the $12-15 option to get it dried and it doesn't get the entire car and misses spots lmao. You're right though, getting the salt off will and does outweight the chemicals wearing down your clear coat.

Want to get fancy? Get your paint corrected and then get a ceramic coat done to really protect the layers underneath...that will allow you to almost get your car clean with just pressurized water alone and protect from the harsh chemicals in the wash soap.

It's not cheap though :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
No worries! Honestly, it is preferred that you do reply to relevant threads vs creating the 40th thread with the same topic and such...so you're good. Just wanted to throw it out there in case you wondered why nobody replied who replied previously. :cool:

Are you stock height? Provided you're stock height yeah I have yet to see one that you'd rub or hit on...you should be able to eyeball if if needed. My local Sheetz (not sure where exactly you're from if you know what a Sheetz is) has honestly the best touchless wash I've ever used. $5 option is cheaper than anyone else, and it gets the entire car THEN IT EVEN DRIES IT. Usually you're getting the $12-15 option to get it dried and it doesn't get the entire car and misses spots lmao. You're right though, getting the salt off will and does outweight the chemicals wearing down your clear coat.

Want to get fancy? Get your paint corrected and then get a ceramic coat done to really protect the layers underneath...that will allow you to almost get your car clean with just pressurized water alone and protect from the harsh chemicals in the wash soap.

It's not cheap though :(
Ceramic coat would be nice, I just can't justify that cost. I did see Adams car polish is coming out with a version, I am curious how that compares to the detail shop version. I am in central Indiana, and they like to dump salt even the liquid stuff on the highway. Normally it is a day late and dollar short but they eventually dump it down until the road is white.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Ceramic coat would be nice, I just can't justify that cost. I did see Adams car polish is coming out with a version, I am curious how that compares to the detail shop version. I am in central Indiana, and they like to dump salt even the liquid stuff on the highway. Normally it is a day late and dollar short but they eventually dump it down until the road is white.
I feel ya...my Performance Blue becomes white for a few months every winter. And yeah, it's pricey for sure...doing it yourself is WAY cheaper if you have a warm garage to do it in...and you really have to buff the swirls out of your paint and make it perfect before you seal it all off with ceramic coating. A local place charges like $1500 to do my whole car with their top product, but it has a lifetime, transferable warranty. Warranties like that are great. The cheaper packages are $600, $800, $1200, etc. but provide varying levels of protection.

All in all, if you find a warm place to do it and twice a year you use something like Griots one-step sealant (8 months of protection) it will hold almost as well as ceramic coating

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

In my opinion- the automated car washes are for regular car folks. (90+ percent of the population- people who treat their cars like appliances). The automated car washes are not kind to their subjects, nor are the guys I see standing at the end of the line with a towel to do a final wipe-down once you have come out the other end... I can only imagine how many times those towels have hit the ground before they are used on people's cars.

I am fortunate enough to own a home with a driveway and a hose (which I bring inside in the winter so it's not frozen when I want to use it). I can wash or rinse my car at home whenever I want. For those who cannot- the mere fact that you are on this car forum suggests that you are not an average car owner, and that you take more interest in your car. If using an automated car wash bugs you (which I understand) I would suggest NOT using automated car washes, but instead locating a local car wash booth (the self-service ones with the coin-op wands).

Certainly not ideal in this type of cold weather, but at least you have control over what happens to your car.

Anthony

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
In my opinion- the automated car washes are for regular car folks. (90+ percent of the population- people who treat their cars like appliances). The automated car washes are not kind to their subjects, nor are the guys I see standing at the end of the line with a towel to do a final wipe-down once you have come out the other end... I can only imagine how many times those towels have hit the ground before they are used on people's cars.

I am fortunate enough to own a home with a driveway and a hose (which I bring inside in the winter so it's not frozen when I want to use it). I can wash or rinse my car at home whenever I want. For those who cannot- the mere fact that you are on this car forum suggests that you are not an average car owner, and that you take more interest in your car. If using an automated car wash bugs you (which I understand) I would suggest NOT using automated car washes, but instead locating a local car wash booth (the self-service ones with the coin-op wands).

Certainly not ideal in this type of cold weather, but at least you have control over what happens to your car.

Anthony
As he said in his original reply, the fact it is currently anywhere between 5 degrees and -15 degrees outside makes washing it himself impossible. I think he was just looking to find out if an auto-wash would be fine to get the corrosive salt off...which it certainly will.

That's kinda why I said do touchless only...those brushes scratch paint...and the people who hand wash them use towels that they used on the past 20 cars that are covered in tiny stones and dirt and scratch it just as much. Touchless still burns your clear coat, but at least it isn't scratching your car. Once in a while a touchless is 100% fine and won't cause your clear coat to just entirely die. Leaving salt on your car though...that will do some damage.

I'm by no means a "regular car folk" but I do understand that touchless auto wash > salt corrosion in the winter

Summer comes around...it is pretty rare for me to go near a touchless auto wash because I can clean it myself, considerably better, for cheaper, and throw on Griots sealant to protect my clear for 8 months instead of burning it.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts