Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ST enthusiasts!

I've noticed when I take my car through the local "Kwik Trip" car washes, opting for the "touch free" wash every time, it still seems like the water pressure is enough to spray through the sunroof crack a bit. It's not bad but if I put my hand up near the back side of the sunroof window I can feel the water getting sprayed in. (It puddles right there, doesn't seem to get the fold out cover wet at all that I've noticed.) 2017 ST3 here with ~3k miles, wondering if anyone else noticed something similar?

I haven't noticed any leaks during normal rainfall and we'll see how she holds up over winter!

Thanks,
Jake

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Do not use car washes!!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The way sunroof work is that they barely make a seal when closed, any high pressure water will definitely get blown by the seal. Even a little normal rain will make it past. There is a drip pan all the way around the sunroof that catches any fallen water and drains it down the drain tubes so the water doesn't get into the car and cause any damage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to avoid them, but a 5 minute auto-car wash is usually so much more convenient than hand washing it. My home has a well for our water source and barely has any pressure at all.

Thanks for information 1LoudST about the drain tube though, didn't think they would have something like that up at the sunroof. And tbh, I would have loved a ST3 with an optional sunroof as I only use it ~1% of my driving time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I avoid car washes too. Mainly due to being CHEAP...
But I also have indoor (under the building) parking. With a ready access to a hose, and permission to wash the car.
(other car maintenance is frowned on, but the car wash is OK.)

So I just rinse my car off if I got caught in the rain, or snow.
No soap. just the hose and my hands rubbing the dirt loose from the paint.
Once in awhile (once a year) I may wax the car afterwards.
Been doing this for 20 plus years..
Very happy. Easy and FREE.
Ever since I discovered the joy of indoor parking.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I never open my sun/moon roof. I hate them but I didn't have an option on an ST3.

unless its leaking into the cabin, youll be fine. Maybe you will need to replace the seal later on.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I just bought a house this summer, and the only outdoor hose fixture is on the complete opposite side of the house from the driveway.
I have been going to a really nice clean DIY car wash, and I take my bucket full of Chemical guys products and do a hand wash, using just the pressure wand to wet and rinse and filling my bucket basically. I never get too close with the pressure sprayer. Except maybe on some bug guts on the windshield or front bumper.

I put in the minimum amount, fill my bucket, rinse the car really good, turn it off, do my wash, then put in the minimum amount again, I usually spend $6, not a bad deal imo for a really clean car.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
I just bought a house this summer, and the only outdoor hose fixture is on the complete opposite side of the house from the driveway.
I have been going to a really nice clean DIY car wash, and I take my bucket full of Chemical guys products and do a hand wash, using just the pressure wand to wet and rinse and filling my bucket basically. I never get too close with the pressure sprayer. Except maybe on some bug guts on the windshield or front bumper.

I put in the minimum amount, fill my bucket, rinse the car really good, turn it off, do my wash, then put in the minimum amount again, I usually spend $6, not a bad deal imo for a really clean car.
You can get more time to spray the car if you fill up your bucket beforehand (in the sink/tub at home), then you just have to suds it up real quick with the wand instead of wasting time filling it ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Never used car washes. I have an ST1, but with the moonroof. I use it a lot, and can see where things need to be kept greased so I've put a few dabs here and there, and also keep the seal clean all the way around the glass. I'll open it and hit that seal with anything I have on hand that'll keep that seal soft (Armour All, that tire shine stuff).

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
I'd like to avoid them, but a 5 minute auto-car wash is usually so much more convenient than hand washing it. My home has a well for our water source and barely has any pressure at all.

Thanks for information 1LoudST about the drain tube though, didn't think they would have something like that up at the sunroof. And tbh, I would have loved a ST3 with an optional sunroof as I only use it ~1% of my driving time.
"Touchless" car washes are the worst! They spray your car with very harsh chemicals to "dissolve" the dirt and grime, and in the meantime dissolve your wax/sealer and paint. Tough out the low water pressure and hand wash!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The way sunroof work is that they barely make a seal when closed, any high pressure water will definitely get blown by the seal. Even a little normal rain will make it past. There is a drip pan all the way around the sunroof that catches any fallen water and drains it down the drain tubes so the water doesn't get into the car and cause any damage.

You must be joking... If your moonroof seal is leaking, then it needs to be replaced. I have only once had a leaking moonroof, and it was on a 12 year old civic. I replaced the seal and it never leaked again...

Hi all ST enthusiasts!

I've noticed when I take my car through the local "Kwik Trip" car washes, opting for the "touch free" wash every time, it still seems like the water pressure is enough to spray through the sunroof crack a bit. It's not bad but if I put my hand up near the back side of the sunroof window I can feel the water getting sprayed in. (It puddles right there, doesn't seem to get the fold out cover wet at all that I've noticed.) 2017 ST3 here with ~3k miles, wondering if anyone else noticed something similar?

I haven't noticed any leaks during normal rainfall and we'll see how she holds up over winter!

Thanks,
Jake
If you haven't already, try using a different car wash. I agree with others here that the automated ones can be bad, but if this is a systemic issue across multiple different car washes, then you need to get your seal looked at. You should have no issues with leaks, even when using a high pressure spray wash at one of the DIY bays and spraying directly on the moonroof from a reasonable distance. As it is a 2017 with 3K on the clock, you should have no issue getting it covered by warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, duly noted. Any recommendations on what to use to treat that seal to keep it soft?
Just make washing the seals a part of your normal car care and they should be good for along time. Most issues with the seals will be caused by debris getting caught between the seal and door / window / moonroof, and tearing the material. If you let it bake in the sun for long periods, you can get a silicone treatment for the seals that is supposed to restore and extend their life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You must be joking... If your moonroof seal is leaking, then it needs to be replaced. I have only once had a leaking moonroof, and it was on a 12 year old civic. I replaced the seal and it never leaked again...
If you haven't already, try using a different car wash. I agree with others here that the automated ones can be bad, but if this is a systemic issue across multiple different car washes, then you need to get your seal looked at.
I'll see how a different car wash acts... now as I said, it isn't pouring water in by any means, it seems to be when the jets are directly over the car spraying water it starts dripping in. But if there is a "catch" area to drain the water out the car then tbh it seems fine for now. Otherwise I guess it's time for some warranty work, I just don't want to take it in to the shop unless it's something a bit more "critical" to the actual performance of the car. The last thing I want is to be "that guy" who is taking his car in to the dealership for every little issue just for the mechanics to stop giving a crap about their work fixing it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You must not realize how a Ford OEM sunroof Is designed then... Because even brand new, SOME small amount of water will get past them. Why else would they design a drip pan all the way around the perimeter of the glass? If they never let a single drop of water down, then why bother adding to the complexity and cost by adding and hiding drain tubes down the pillars?

You say that you only have had one "leaking" sunroof in your life, well how you know there was small amounts of water getting in if you never saw it because it was being drained away as designed? You wouldn't, you would only know it was "leaking" if too much water was getting in and stuff was getting wet or it was dripping on the interior. Which at that point it could be because of a leaking seal or could just because of the drain tubes being plugged up.

Back a couple of years ago before we bought our house, the apartment my wife and I were parking in has us parking directly under a bunch of trees. Interesting enough, after about one year, both her new Escape and my few years old Lincoln started having leaking sunroofs. Took the cars into my shop one at a time to see what the deal was. Well after about three mins in the first one it was pretty easy to figure out. After about 4 mins of a water hose being poured in top, it started dripping in a little bit. Opened up the sunroof and you could see that the shallow drip pan was over flowing. Found the drain hole, plug it with an air compressor nozzle and gave it the beans. Then watched all sorts of tree and leaf debris get blown right out in the wheel well area where the drain tube exited the car. Then did this on all 4 corners and re-tested. Problem gone. Next day took the other car into the shop, wash, rinse, repeat. Then bough a house with a garage and a place to park not under a tree and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You must not realize how a Ford OEM sunroof Is designed then... Because even brand new, SOME small amount of water will get past them. Why else would they design a drip pan all the way around the perimeter of the glass? If they never let a single drop of water down, then why bother adding to the complexity and cost by adding and hiding drain tubes down the pillars?

You say that you only have had one "leaking" sunroof in your life, well how you know there was small amounts of water getting in if you never saw it because it was being drained away as designed? You wouldn't, you would only know it was "leaking" if too much water was getting in and stuff was getting wet or it was dripping on the interior. Which at that point it could be because of a leaking seal or could just because of the drain tubes being plugged up.

Back a couple of years ago before we bought our house, the apartment my wife and I were parking in has us parking directly under a bunch of trees. Interesting enough, after about one year, both her new Escape and my few years old Lincoln started having leaking sunroofs. Took the cars into my shop one at a time to see what the deal was. Well after about three mins in the first one it was pretty easy to figure out. After about 4 mins of a water hose being poured in top, it started dripping in a little bit. Opened up the sunroof and you could see that the shallow drip pan was over flowing. Found the drain hole, plug it with an air compressor nozzle and gave it the beans. Then watched all sorts of tree and leaf debris get blown right out in the wheel well area where the drain tube exited the car. Then did this on all 4 corners and re-tested. Problem gone. Next day took the other car into the shop, wash, rinse, repeat. Then bough a house with a garage and a place to park not under a tree and never had the problem again.

The drip pan is there for incidental water that enters when the roof is opened or closed, not to catch persistent leaks from a bad seal. It will catch some small leaks, and make it so that you are unaware they are there. Your new escape likely had a bad seal, which could easily have been caused by debris deforming or tearing the seal. It is entirely likely that additional debris from the trees you were parking under then entered the drip pan area, clogged the drain line, and thus caused you to finally notice the issue.

Seals need to be cleaned regularly in order to properly function. Door seals often leak, but go unnoticed as the small amount of water runs down through the door. When sunroofs leak, and the drain plugs up, it runs/drips onto the passengers (or into the headliner, causing a stain/mold/smell).

If you are getting leaked on through the sunroof in a carwash, you have an issue with the sunroof. This is not normal behavior.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts