Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have heard Darts are garbage of a car and have a good amount of issues unmodified. The dart does have a turbo model, 1.4 liter it is the rallye model

Now a FRS is a lightweight car, that would be the true winner in my book!

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Dart can be purchased with the 1.4L turbo engine. That being said, it's still a turd, and Chrysler's track record with turbocharged vehicles (or any non V8 performance vehicles really) doesn't speak to ease of upgrade or reliability. What the Dart really needs is to be scrapped, which is what they did.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have heard Darts are garbage of a car and have a good amount of issues unmodified. The dart does have a turbo model, 1.4 liter it is the rallye model

Now a FRS is a lightweight car, that would be the true winner in my book!
Subaru would not allow it. A turbocharged model would bring the performance up to a level that it would compete with the WRX and hurt overall sales.

Reactions: gtx2867_ST

·
Registered
371 Posts
Subaru would not allow it. A turbocharged model would bring the performance up to a level that it would compete with the WRX and hurt overall sales.
Very true, always hear rumors of the BRZ STI. Can not have a lower model car beating and out performing their main pride and joy haha

I read it as hes deciding on which car to buy then add a turbo setup on. My vote would be FRS!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Dart is a pile of junk... Dodge needs to just stop already!

The FR-S is no longer produced ;)

BRZ/T-86 on the other hand will "never" get a turbo but needs one SO badly. I posted on a social media content a while back asking when the BRZ would come out with a turbo... "Toyota" responded to my answer with "never, Toyota nor Subi will ever release this plateform with a factory turbo"

Really no different than the MX-5 not having a turbo

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very true, always hear rumors of the BRZ STI. Can not have a lower model car beating and out performing their main pride and joy haha

I read it as hes deciding on which car to buy then add a turbo setup on. My vote would be FRS!
if a lesser model car climbed into even WRX territory, it would hurt WRX, STi, and most importantly base Impreza sales.
manufacturers figured it out quick that releasing performance versions of lesser cars is dumb - Ford Probe, GNX, Camaro, FoST are all examples of playing that delicate game.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Before the 2017 model I always answered this with the Civic SI, but it has a 1.5L Turbo (or is it 1.4L?). Now I'd say honestly the only one I think that would be feasible (The BRZ/FRS will never get one like @95PGTTech said, they would lose spotlight for their higher cars) would be the Mazda Miata. That little thing would be AWESOME with a quick spooling turbo. It's already so small and light and nimble, add all that torque? Nuts.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Subaru Crosstrek. They could even use the 2.0 from the Forester XT (slightly detuned WRX engine) to prevent eating into the WRX market too much. Crosstrek is a great car, but painfully slow. Forester XT is too big of a boat for the level of power it has. I get that the Foresters are not much bigger than the Crosstrek, but I have driven one and the body roll is bad.

I will disagree with the Dart being nominated. I recall reading an interview from someone in SRT who said the Dart was a bad performance car candidate because the platform was too bad to begin with to make anything of it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I will disagree with the Dart being nominated. I recall reading an interview from someone in SRT who said the Dart was a bad performance car candidate because the platform was too bad to begin with to make anything of it.
I spent 10 years as a mechanic, and I can tell you some of the absolute dumbest and least reliable designs came out of the Mopar camp...pretty much none of their vehicles are good performance candidates when you compare them to Ford/Chevy. Their last good car stopped production in 1971, and even then you had to have a big checkbook to make power compared to a Mustang or a Camaro. Chrysler has been seemingly selling cars only based on their customers nutty brand loyalty (like my entire stupid family) who seem to think it's normal to deal with design flaws, fix their cars often (and when you do spend more money and more time than you should doing it), and brag that their Mopar hit 200,000 miles but had to get serviced literally once a week.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Family car Steering wheel

Seriously...who designed this interior in a 2013 car? Just burn these piles...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I spent 10 years as a mechanic, and I can tell you some of the absolute dumbest and least reliable designs came out of the Mopar camp...pretty much none of their vehicles are good performance candidates when you compare them to Ford/Chevy. Their last good car stopped production in 1971, and even then you had to have a big checkbook to make power compared to a Mustang or a Camaro. Chrysler has been seemingly selling cars only based on their customers nutty brand loyalty (like my entire stupid family) who seem to think it's normal to deal with design flaws, fix their cars often (and when you do spend more money and more time than you should doing it), and brag that their Mopar hit 200,000 miles but had to get serviced literally once a week.

View attachment 236033

Seriously...who designed this interior in a 2013 car? Just burn these piles...
I come from a Ford family, so I'm extremely blue blood, BUT...as a car enthusiast I try to maintain a level of equality and not carry bias. That being said, so far, other than Daewoo and Volkswagens (owned both), Dodge has shown me by far the highest level of problems. They fuel their business at times almost entirely off of Anti-Ford hate and the people who dislike Ford lean their direction as a result. Their fastest cars are so extremely heavy they have to pump 700hp out to get good times against Ford/Chevy counterparts, and their interiors on all of them I've seen is average at best. My aunt went against family grain and got an Avenger 3 years ago. A year ago she finally got rid of it and went Toyota. She's spent some number like 4.6k dollars (I forgot exactly what the number was) on servicing the BRAND NEW CAR with stuff that wasn't covered on warranty. Ford Escapes and the automatic transmissions in the current gen Focus's are prone to issues, I'll admit, but still great vehicles compared to most. This is why I love seeing posts like this one from people who know the trade and understand marketing isn't everything

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
This is an interesting thread because it is always something I am thinking of. My first choice would be the Toyota 86 (New version of the FRS). The argument of whether or not it would ever happen does no interest me because this is about what car we really think needs a turbo. My mom just got one and it is a lot of fun and looks great, but a turbo would be a real kick. My runner up would be a Honda Fit.

Beyond that there are turbo cars I want back: Supra & MS3.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
This is an interesting thread because it is always something I am thinking of. My first choice would be the Toyota 86 (New version of the FRS). The argument of whether or not it would ever happen does no interest me because this is about what car we really think needs a turbo. My mom just got one and it is a lot of fun and looks great, but a turbo would be a real kick. My runner up would be a Honda Fit.

Beyond that there are turbo cars I want back: Supra & MS3.
Imagine a 2017 Turbo'd MS3 without so much torque steer. I'd be half tempted to part ways with the ST unless it upgraded to match.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Imagine a 2017 Turbo'd MS3 without so much torque steer. I'd be half tempted to part ways with the ST unless it upgraded to match.
As long as they don't just slam a turbo in the current Mazda 3. I would like a sportier one and I would be pretty tempted to make the jump over to Mazda as well. Shoot, I still love the last gen MS3.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
BRZ is the obvious one. But Subaru has a history of making weird choices about engines so I wouldn't expect much there.
"What's that? 98% of the people who give us money and keep us in business want an engine upgrade in the STI? HA no." - Subaru

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
"What's that? 98% of the people who give us money and keep us in business want an engine upgrade in the STI? HA no." - Subaru
As far as vehicle progression and enhancement there is no other single decision by an auto manufacturer that baffles me as much as subaru's decision to keep an old engine in the STI. I get it from a cost savings standpoint, but when your engine is over 10 years old and doesn't have the best track record then why do they keep it the same? If subaru came out with a new engine for the STI I would be all over it after the first few years to see how the engine panned out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As far as vehicle progression and enhancement there is no other single decision by an auto manufacturer that baffles me as much as subaru's decision to keep an old engine in the STI. I get it from a cost savings standpoint, but when your engine is over 10 years old and doesn't have the best track record then why do they keep it the same? If subaru came out with a new engine for the STI I would be all over it after the first few years to see how the engine panned out.
But is it even cost savings at this point? Just toss in the FA20 with some minor upgrades and a bigger turbo and you lower your production needs (one engine vs. two engine types) while increasing the benefit of the STI. If Subaru got smart they'd power the FA20 to 325-350hp and compete extremely well with the RS.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind not having a more powerful BRZ, or at least a version which has more power. People don't really cross-shop a WRX over a BRZ, two completely different types of car. Does the BRZ really NEED more power? No, it's fun as is, but I bet you it'd be more fun at WRX power levels, and spank the competition at the same time. All they really have to do is put the FA in there and make it work. Can you imagine a BRZ with 260hp which weighs what, 2800lbs? It would be a rocket.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
But is it even cost savings at this point? Just toss in the FA20 with some minor upgrades and a bigger turbo and you lower your production needs (one engine vs. two engine types) while increasing the benefit of the STI. If Subaru got smart they'd power the FA20 to 325-350hp and compete extremely well with the RS.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind not having a more powerful BRZ, or at least a version which has more power. People don't really cross-shop a WRX over a BRZ, two completely different types of car. Does the BRZ really NEED more power? No, it's fun as is, but I bet you it'd be more fun at WRX power levels, and spank the competition at the same time. All they really have to do is put the FA in there and make it work. Can you imagine a BRZ with 260hp which weighs what, 2800lbs? It would be a rocket.
I like where your head is at. I am not sure what their reason is. I would be all in for the engine mods you mentioned for the STI, keep the WRX how it is, and then add a small turbo to the BRZ. Then they would have three classes off bumped out turbo cars. The crazy 4-door, the fun & more reserved 4-door, and then the rocket hatch.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Subaru Crosstrek. They could even use the 2.0 from the Forester XT (slightly detuned WRX engine) to prevent eating into the WRX market too much. Crosstrek is a great car, but painfully slow. Forester XT is too big of a boat for the level of power it has. I get that the Foresters are not much bigger than the Crosstrek, but I have driven one and the body roll is bad.

I was having a chat with a guy who works in my building. He drives a STI swapped forester but it was in the shop for some repairs. He had a Crosstrek loaner and we shared the same opinion that it would be quite the fun little car with a turbo and a bit more power.

I would also nominate the BRZ/86. Yes, speed isn't what it wasn't designed for but it just didn't excite me during the test drive. Especially when I tested the ST right afterwards and have a fun torque filled drive. I know the magazine bench racers call it "perfect" but none of the ones I know would ever buy the thing themselves.

I also wish Toyota would make more fun cars, maybe throw something in the Corolla hatch? I did laugh a bit when one of the salesmen at the dealership my Dad works at told me I should trade in my Focus for a Camry if I really wanted something sporty.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts