Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, yesterday was the first issue I've had with my '16 ST close to 10k miles. Coming home from work 20 minutes into city commute and car dies at light, wouldn't turn on right away... No CEL, started after two minutes everything seemed fine.
Later that night drive one mile down the road in fourth at 35mph car slowing down, dome lights turn on, everything blank except my odometer, engine is off, I coasted into a parking lot. Car wouldn't start, the screen started telling me "faulty engine service immediately" when attempting to start and was making an electronic turnover type buzzing sound. I let the car sit for two minutes then the screen instructed me to turn ignition off. I did so and it kind of seemed like it reset the electronics. I then just started the car normally, idled fine no CEL.
Today I drove city streets to work and the car ran beautifully. I checked every connection and the parts I installed from a month ago, InJen CAI and sensors, short shift bracket bolts, sound delete bolts everything was tight.
I decided this morning to just let it idle for 20 mins when I was at work, went outside and the engine was off. No CEL, started up fine idle fine....

Another thing is we had a dramatic 40 degree warm up in Maryland yesterday, and the only other thing I can think of it that before this happened I accidentally almost WOT'd low rpm in 4th gear but caught it before it built much if any boost and shifted.... So do you guys think this is a fluke type thing due to weather and the possibly the CAI that prolly won't happen again?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Was your key fob out of the car while it was idling and you were away? If so, (I forgot the time) it will shut off if left unattended with no key fob and running. So that symptom may be completely normal. A change in temperatures is irrelevant. That alone should not cause any ill effects.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take it to the dealer,

also how do you "accidentally almost WOT"?.
I was only going 35 and started to pound the pedal to get around some jerk then realized I was in 4th at low rpm, I started feeling the boost then quickly pushed the clutch down to not let it build up...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was your key fob out of the car while it was idling and you were away? If so, (I forgot the time) it will shut off if left unattended with no key fob and running. So that symptom may be completely normal. A change in temperatures is irrelevant. That alone should not cause any ill effects.
Key fob was in the car, I was wondering if it had an auto shut off if left running which kind of makes sense since it is keyless, so I'm not too concerned about that, good to know weather wouldn't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Key fob was in the car, I was wondering if it had an auto shut off if left running which kind of makes sense since it is keyless, so I'm not too concerned about that, good to know weather wouldn't matter.

Yes even w/ fob in car it will give a prompt after idling for awhile which if uninterrupted will shut off the vehicle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this just happened again slowing down downhill, but this time it wouldn't start for 15 mins, the problem is that the car still thought the engine was on when it cut, eventually it" figured" it out and let me start after ruining everyone's rush hour commute, car is at dealership now, will keep you guys posted

·
Registered
39 Posts
This same thing happened to our VW TDI. It would quit randomly and it was terrifying. It would start right away though. It turned out to be a bad instrument cluster and VW only fixed it after we started the lemon law buyback. VW sucks. (sorry)

Just incase document well and good luck with your car

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This same thing happened to our VW TDI. It would quit randomly and it was terrifying. It would start right away though. It turned out to be a bad instrument cluster and VW only fixed it after we started the lemon law buyback. VW sucks. (sorry)

Just incase document well and good luck with your car
Dealer person seemed confident that he has seen it before but told me it could be a bad traction something or other sensor, which could be bs but who knows, I have a decent relationship with these guys so I'll see what happens... Fingers crossed

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my 16. I have the same CAI. Check the ground under the air box. I had it at the dealer 3 times. Brought the factory intake and the tech noticed that the ground under the air box wasn't making a strong connection. That one is for the PCM. Since buffing off some paint and relocating to a much more strong connection I haven't had a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do believe that on Ford Vehicles, the ONLY way for a engine to shut off during operation is if the PCM loses its power circuits, ground circuits or the PCM craps it's pants.

I highly, highly, highly suspect that you have a power or ground issue to the PCM.

I do not believe (like 95% certain) that there is not a sensor on the entire vehicle that will cause the engine to shut down while it is running. I am sure someone is going to give me a on off scenario to this, but it's my story and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same exact problem with my 16. I have the same CAI. Check the ground under the air box. I had it at the dealer 3 times. Brought the factory intake and the tech noticed that the ground under the air box wasn't making a strong connection. That one is for the PCM. Since buffing off some paint and relocating to a much more strong connection I haven't had a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I read that in another thread too, If I get it back today I may just do that... Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I do believe that on Ford Vehicles, the ONLY way for a engine to shut off during operation is if the PCM loses its power circuits, ground circuits or the PCM craps it's pants.

I highly, highly, highly suspect that you have a power or ground issue to the PCM.

I do not believe (like 95% certain) that there is not a sensor on the entire vehicle that will cause the engine to shut down while it is running. I am sure someone is going to give me a on off scenario to this, but it's my story and I am sticking to it.
I'd be pissed if a faulty traction control sensor put my life in danger by causing the car to shut down. Bad grounds, electrical shorts, etc. I can understand because it's the nature of the beast. But the computer shouldn't just decide to go dead for traction control issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd be pissed if a faulty traction control sensor put my life in danger by causing the car to shut down. Bad grounds, electrical shorts, etc. I can understand because it's the nature of the beast. But the computer shouldn't just decide to go dead for traction control issues.
Absolutely! With the traffic I held up yesterday in Baltimore I could have easily had been shot!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picking up car now, Ford confirmed it was the pcm ground connect because of the heat shield install. Going home to relocate to New bolt if possible and make sure it is on some nice bare metal. InJen needs to update thier installation instructions smh

·
Registered
420 Posts
Picking up car now, Ford confirmed it was the pcm ground connect because of the heat shield install. Going home to relocate to New bolt if possible and make sure it is on some nice bare metal. InJen needs to update thier installation instructions smh

Nailed it!

But for real, I am glad that it was found.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts