Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title states, my car is currently only able to engage second gear, but I am able to put the car back in neutral.

Second gear will grind occasionally when going from neutral to second.

I'm currently without tools or a means for a further inspection, so I'm unable to pull the console off. I've taken a look at the linkage under hood, and nothing appears amiss; there's nothing obviously obstructing the shifter's operation, and no part of the shifter cables appears damaged (from what I can see).

Yesterday and today, engagement of second and fourth gear have felt unusual and engagement has been an issue. This was intermittent prior to this. For that reason, I suspect the linkage may be the issue.

I'm planning to have the car towed to the dealer in the morning.

Does anyone have an suggestions on what's worth inspecting in the interim?

Additionally, second gear has been 'slow' to engage when cold for a while now. It felt like the synchro wasn't functioning properly. This issue was less prevalent when the car was warm.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Update: Removing the intake for closer inspection revealed a walnut jammed in the shift linkage.

Hm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Glad you got it figured out. I had something similar back in the middle of winter. I had a plastic piece stuck in the linkage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts