Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Car is dead - Actual key won't turn fully

13K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  UnfocusedST 
#1 ·
So... My battery died today. I left it at the dealer and they must have messed with my headlight settings, leaving them on without my noticing.

Anyhow, my actual key (within the fob) won't open the door. It turns maybe 35% of the way then stops.

Am i out of luck here? I really don't know what to do.

#2 ·
Try the spare? That's unfortunate! Makes me want to try my actual key to see if it actually turns.

Reactions: LeojST
#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I have the same problem with my '15 ST which I bought in September 2015. About six months ago I tried the metal key and it only rotated about 30 degrees, and no more. It would not open the lock, nor did the second key. I haven't been back to the dealer but obviously I have the wrong keys for my lock. This reminds me to drop by the Ford dealer soon and have them order me the correct keys. I suspect this is more common than we think, how many owners actually try the spare metal key to see if it works? Few, I suspect. The keys were not in the key fob when I picked up the car, rather they were in with the owner's manual and misc. stuff Ford includes in the black nylon folio. They probably pulled the wrong folio thinking they were all the same.

#15 ·
Definitely need to use the fob for leverage, it is very difficult without. One thing is for sure, if it's the wrong key altogether it won't turn at all.

#19 ·
I'm bored at work so I took a quick trip out to the car for some pictures. First off, unlocked the door with my physical key to make sure it works (it does) and yes, it's not exactly easy to turn. Like another member suggested, close the "T" portion of the end of the key in between the opening of the fob and the back for leverage and to make your life easier.

So again, the cap should be on the right side of the steering column where you'd insert a key in any other car.
Auto part Rim Vehicle Car

The tip of the physical key conveniently fits in the opening of the cap but you can use anything that will fit and just pull towards you. The cap should come off with little to no resistance.
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system Rim

You now see the piece that you stick the end of the fob into...
Auto part Rim Wheel Vehicle Car

Fun fact, the grooves on the fob are to keep the fob from sliding out in case you need to do this.
Auto part Automotive lighting Tire Wheel Vehicle

#21 ·
I'm bored at work so I took a quick trip out to the car for some pictures. First off, unlocked the door with my physical key to make sure it works (it does) and yes, it's not exactly easy to turn. Like another member suggested, close the "T" portion of the end of the key in between the opening of the fob and the back for leverage and to make your life easier.

So again, the cap should be on the right side of the steering column where you'd insert a key in any other car.
View attachment 185682

The tip of the physical key conveniently fits in the opening of the cap but you can use anything that will fit and just pull towards you. The cap should come off with little to no resistance.
View attachment 185690

You now see the piece that you stick the end of the fob into...
View attachment 185698

Fun fact, the grooves on the fob are to keep the fob from sliding out in case you need to do this.
View attachment 185706
Thanks for checking that for the rest of our lazy asses that were curious but didn't want to check.

#28 ·
Reactions: ST_Sparty_Party
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.