Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been running into an issue with my 2014 ST3 where, randomly, the car will sound as if it is going to stall. Let me explain, this usually happens shortly after starting the vehicle. I get in, close the door, turn the car on (car is in neutral, foot is off clutch, car is parked and not moving) and the car's engine will mysteriously drop in RPMs and shake. The issue feels exactly the same as when you stall a car only in this case the car never turns off (imagine pulling up to a stop sign and forgetting to clutch in as you come to a stop but catching it right before the car dies).

Like i mentioned above, this does not happen constantly but rather, sporadically and only upon first starting the car, especially if the car has been sitting for a few hours to a day. Usually this sequence only lasts 1-1.5 seconds but today i had one that lasted a solid 4 to 5 seconds. As a note, this only happens when the car is not moving, it does not happen while I drive.

I took the car to Ford and they of course said they could not replicate the issue. They reprogrammed the PCM just in case (not gonna lie, no idea what that is but they said it could help) but the problem persists.

Has anyone else had this issue with their ST? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what it may be?

About the car:
  • 2014 ST3
  • Bought used with very low miles
  • Car currently has 12k miles on it
  • Live in FL (For those who may think it is weather related)
  • Only "mod" that has been done to the car is an MBRP exhaust

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
There was a recall for the wiring harness. Ask your dealer to check if the repairs were made. If not see if they can diagnosis this to be the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Just keep in mind, the wiring hardness recall will not guarantee a solution to this. A lot of us still have the issue even after it was "repaired." You kinda have to live with it. @Alaaaaaaaaan

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
654 Posts
Having this problem on my brand new 2017 ST with only 2200 miles. Car has NO mechanical mods, bone stock, no exhaust, bov nothing. Is this just a thing with these cars? I can replicate the problem by pushing on the gear stick into third while standing still, clutch not depressed, but I don't think its a problem of catching on a gear as I have to apply significant force to make it happen (not to mention it will strip my gears) is this something I should worry about or is it just one of the car's querks?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts