Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 17 ST2 as a daily and a dog hauler with no plan on modifying it when I bought it...I like it so much I haven't been able to control myself when it comes to making it mine. So far I've done the mountune intake tube and elbow, Green filter, Cobb shift plate, Steeda shift plate bushings, Mountune RMM, Rally Armor flaps, and 20% tint. Along with LED fog lamps and a stubby antenna.
I'm slowly making my way towards the Mountune 275 package. I'm trying to keep the warranty in play by going with Mountune.
Planning my next move....FMIC, Tuner, or Exhaust next??? I feel like all three are equally important in their own right. The FMIC is laying the ground work for the Tuner and when thats added, real power gains will be achievable. The tuner may give me some power now, but not fully utilized until the FMIC is installed. And the Exhaust may not give much of a gain, but it will sound like it did. So what order do I go in and what should my next move be???

·
Registered
108 Posts
Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a hard time waiting for parts. I should just wait and buy it all at once and save money...
I have this overwhelming need to mess with everything I own. I thought I had grown up and practicality and reliability had won out...nope...maybe next year

·
Registered
344 Posts
https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Focus-ST-B1-Package-p/ap3-for-001b1.htm
I would recommend that since they are going to tune it also. Cobb ots maps are complete trash
Why would you say that Cobb OTS tunes are complete trash. I don't run them but did for like a week and found them to be pretty decent. They are designed around Cobb stage products being used. I find people just buy random crap from all different vendors then run a Cobb OTS and say how rubbish it is. It's like getting a tune from a reputable tuner and lying about the parts you have installed then pissing and moaning about it being rubbish. People seem to think that Cobb OTS tunes are just some universal magic tune that is made for everything, they are not and if you ask them about it they will tell you it. My guess is that you are not running a Cobb intercooler, downpipe, intake etc. and ran their tune and it didn't work out for you. I have been in a car with Cobb everything and stage 3 and it drove great (go figure).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why would you say that Cobb OTS tunes are complete trash. I don't run them but did for like a week and found them to be pretty decent. They are designed around Cobb stage products being used. I find people just buy random crap from all different vendors then run a Cobb OTS and say how rubbish it is. It's like getting a tune from a reputable tuner and lying about the parts you have installed then pissing and moaning about it being rubbish. People seem to think that Cobb OTS tunes are just some universal magic tune that is made for everything, they are not and if you ask them about it they will tell you it. My guess is that you are not running a Cobb intercooler, downpipe, intake etc. and ran their tune and it didn't work out for you. I have been in a car with Cobb everything and stage 3 and it drove great (go figure).
After reading through the forums over and over about blown motors. What's the turn that 90% of the people have when it gives out? The cobb ots map. Its just a generic map made for the car bit every car has its own way it needs to be tuned

·
Registered
344 Posts
After reading through the forums over and over about blown motors. What's the turn that 90% of the people have when it gives out? The cobb ots map. Its just a generic map made for the car bit every car has its own way it needs to be tuned
I am not sure what you are trying to say as your english is incomprehensible.

I assume you are saying that you have done your own research and 90% of all blown motors are from Cobb tunes? Don't forget that Cobb states that for each stage you should only use their equipment or equivalent. A levels intercooler for example is not equivalent. I don't think it is fair to slander a vendor and call their maps absolute rubbish when you are not basing your data on a fair sample. You don't know that the people who grenaded their motor have used the correct fuel, the correct stage maps, the correct I/C, etc. I personally know of two people running stage 2 and 3 maps without the correct gear installed. If/when they blow their engine they may post it on the thread, however Cobb isn't to blame for that it's their own ignorance.

I agree and disagree that every car should be tuned independently. If trying to increase performance - definitely. However do you think ford independently tunes every car that leaves the factory, or do they use a calibration that is designed with certain hardware/fuel requirements in mind? If all instructions are followed by Cobb and the correct fuel is run, I have seen the tunes run well, not as well as a tailored tune by one of the great tuners for this platform (e.g. Stratified, freektune, unleashed, etc). But again the OTS tunes aren't trying to be custom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everything I've read about the mountune intercooler says it's not that great as it's a similar design to stock. I went with the depo son of beast, a used accessport v3, AEM dry flow filter in place of that mountune kit. It's been on sale for that price for a few weeks now.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts