Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was always very satisfied with the ease of updating tunes on my AP3.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it ok to put a stage 1 map on a stock ST (stock for the time being). I just bought a Cobb AP3 and wanted to confirm with the experts before I started. Or should I keep it at "stage 0" until I add some mods. Just want to make sure I am being safe. Any insight that can be shared would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I plan on getting stratified maps down the road because I hear a lot of good things and am impressed.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Is it ok to put a stage 1 map on a stock ST (stock for the time being). I just bought a Cobb AP3 and wanted to confirm with the experts before I started. Or should I keep it at "stage 0" until I add some mods. Just want to make sure I am being safe. Any insight that can be shared would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I plan on getting stratified maps down the road because I hear a lot of good things and am impressed.
Totally fine to flash a stage one tune. Some people will say get a "performance" air filter to be true stage 1 but I would advise against it. Performance air filters are purely a way to separate fools from their money. The only thing I would suggest while you're tuned for stage 1 is to change out to at least one step colder spark plugs (two steps if you're planning to stay stage 1 for awhile). The colder plugs will be a safety benefit for the extra boost being pumped through the wimpy OEM intercooler. Denso ITV22s are one step colder and what I'm running, ITV24s are two steps colder and good for stage 1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Totally fine to flash a stage one tune. Some people will say get a "performance" air filter to be true stage 1 but I would advise against it. Performance air filters are purely a way to separate fools from their money. The only thing I would suggest while you're tuned for stage 1 is to change out to at least one step colder spark plugs (two steps if you're planning to stay stage 1 for awhile). The colder plugs will be a safety benefit for the extra boost being pumped through the wimpy OEM intercooler. Denso ITV22s are one step colder and what I'm running, ITV24s are two steps colder and good for stage 1.
Thanks man, this was helpful! Makes me feel more comfortable. I don't see myself going past stage 1, at least not anytime soon, so I will look into the ITV24s than. In the near future I plan on upgrading the intercooler since OEM isn't the greatest, so i keep hearing lol. Thanks again.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is there a way to subscribe to threads without coming in and just saying "subscribed"?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Out of curiosity, I don't see much mention of the Ford racing procal tune. Is it because it is different from the Pandas, Cobbs, and Statified tunes... Same goes for mountune... Same meaning it seems to be among the lines of the Frpp tune.
FWIW - the FRPP is sorta the direction that I am leaning. Just need to find a dealer or ASE service centre in the bay area that does this...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
If map switching has been enabled by a professional tuner ie Panda... does map switching work for the Cobb OTS maps as well?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Do I need to run colder spark plugs with a 93 tune ?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Shouldn't NEED them, but it certainly won't hurt. I am just about stage 3 with a Strat 93 tune and I went with colder plugs. IIRC our cars are right on the threshold for needing 1 step colder stock so better safe than sorry. If you don't have the extra 20 bucks and time to do it then don't stress about it too much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shouldn't NEED them, but it certainly won't hurt. I am just about stage 3 with a Strat 93 tune and I went with colder plugs. IIRC our cars are right on the threshold for needing 1 step colder stock so better safe than sorry. If you don't have the extra 20 bucks and time to do it then don't stress about it too much.
Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Thanks !

I changed mine because at 22k miles I figured my stock factory plugs could use a replacing anyway with my oil change I did myself so I bought 1 step colder instead of stockers and replaced them. If I didn't think I needed to replace my plugs and they were still brand new I probably would have waited a while. Your car though, I didn't want to worry about it and it's 20 bucks. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Late to the party... but I'm working on a tune for my Focus ST on HP tuners (I come from a GM family). Now that HP Tuners supports the tricore ECUs... too easy.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Late to the party... but I'm working on a tune for my Focus ST on HP tuners (I come from a GM family). Now that HP Tuners supports the tricore ECUs... too easy.
You'll have to let us know the results if you ever take a dyno/vdyno session. Interested to see how the HP Tuner does since I haven't heard of it in the ST platform yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
About to purchase a Cobb V3 and can't decide between Stratified and FSWerks.. I'm completely stock and want the best increase while still being safe. Read comments here but want to get a few more opinions, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
About to purchase a Cobb V3 and can't decide between Stratified and FSWerks.. I'm completely stock and want the best increase while still being safe. Read comments here but want to get a few more opinions, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was in the same boat as you, all I have is a AEM drop in dry filter, Mountune BPV, cooler plugs and the tune. I only have those other mods bc I felt they were the minimum best supporting mods for the tune. Others may say none are "required" some may say just the plugs. My personal conclusion was all 3 and the tune would get me to where I wanted to be with the tune and be safe and reliable.

I chose Randy with Mountune for 4 reasons.

1. Reputation, Mountune and Randy have a good reputation for quality and customer service. And they delivered on all counts. Randy was awesome to work with. As do others but this is just one of three.
2. 45 FREE days to load, test, and log their tune then send in for revisions. This was huge for me, considering I wanted the most out of the tune all while ensuring safety and reliability. Only a few tuners offer something along the lines of free revisions.
3. Cost, reason 2 ties into this, Mountune was very competitive when you add up tune and device costs, then considering the revision period, when additional costs can be added if you want revisions from other tuners.
4. Device option, this isn't a huge deal to some, but I really wanted to use the AP3 if possible. I liked the map switching features it offered. Something I would have missed with the X4.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mbiro594
41 - 60 of 119 Posts