Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of folks come and ask which tune/tuning device/tuner is the best? I've always thought it was such a loaded question and the answer will be different for every individual. With that being said if you're new and are looking for a performance calibration here are some questions to ask your potential tuner, and maybe some for yourself too!!

- What does your tuning service include?
- Is this a custom map or an OTS style calibration?
- Do you offer revisions based on datalogs? How many? Is there a time limit?
- What are some of your tuning credentials? (education, experience, certification).
- What if I need adjustments down the line - what do you offer in terms of support?
- What if I have questions during the tuning process regarding the tune and/or modifications?
- What is your turn-around time for new calibrations?
- What if my car breaks down during the tuning process or something comes up?
- How much are additional maps?
- What is your philosophy when it comes to tuning?
- Are there any parts/add ons that you do not support?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Great list. This forum can fill the need for anybody.

·
Premium Member
5,730 Posts
Nice list. Add "what parts would you recommend upgrading first to achieve the biggest performance gains?" And, "what parts won't accomplish any gains with my tuning goals?" Or something similar.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are another 3 to add:

- How many tune revisions does it take on average to complete a tune?

- Do you offer support for alternative fuels, non oem turbochargers?

- Do you offer support for Usdm, Adm, Edm market vehicles?
These are good suggestions too!
With these questions you can be sure you are making an informed decision
There is nothing that makes me happier than an informed consumer

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK all great questions but what are peoples experiences with the different tunes/companies? Stratified, Panda and such. I am in the market for one or the other but looking for recommendations on which one to go with. I assume that they are all the same if using the Cobb V3 tuner. Noob here needing help to decided what company to go with to tune my St.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Another question to ask is: Are you using SCT or COBB, cause SCT does not care and they S*** a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
COBB all the way.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I just finished my stage 3 cobb set up and i too was wonder if a tuner would give me that much more gains then the ots map?
uploadfromtaptalk1425738681551.jpg here is a comparison between COBB stage 1 OTS and custom by Stratified. It's my car by the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK all great questions but what are peoples experiences with the different tunes/companies? Stratified, Panda and such. I am in the market for one or the other but looking for recommendations on which one to go with. I assume that they are all the same if using the Cobb V3 tuner. Noob here needing help to decided what company to go with to tune my St.
What year is your ST? I just got my 2015 FoST and was suprised to see that no companies have supported the new model even though it's the same engine?!? When I called cobb and ford racing nobody could give me a time line either...

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What year is your ST? I just got my 2015 FoST and was suprised to see that no companies have supported the new model even though it's the same engine?!? When I called cobb and ford racing nobody could give me a time line either...
Shouldn't be too much longer and COBB will have 2015 support. Reverse engineering a complex controls system like the ST has is very complex and even the slightest change can have a profound impact.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why is it not compatible?
I called technical support today and they said they have never seen my ecu strategy before. But I know my car would work with a COBB or even a freek tune. They said I have to wait up to three weeks, not worth the risk to spend $400 on something that might not work. spend the extra money for the accessport

To keep my post on topic, make sure your tune is compatible with your car ! Email / call the company before just to be safe.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts