Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my FSWERKS shifter bushings yesterday, and decided to install them this evening. Being mechanically inclined, I was confident in my abilities (you know, expect the worst but hope for the best). I was very surprised to find it wasn't that big of a PITA to do, until....

1st- While manipulating the bracket back into place, somehow I bumped the small coolant hose that clips on around the lower radiator hose (don't know which one you'd call it). It sprayed a small amount of coolant (perhaps a couple of tablespoons full) into the engine compartment. It was easily cleaned up with a couple of paper towels. My concern with this is that I hope it doesn't disrupt the coolant system (perhaps creating air bubbles). Don't know but I'll find out when I get it back on the road.

2nd- This is the one that pissed me off the most, because it's one of the stupidest things that could happen (and only to me of course). While re-installing the sound symposer, the small t20 or t25 screw fell out of the mounting hole as I was going to put it back in it's position. The screw fell out, and bounced of the front, somewhere by the front grill area, and I can't find the damn thing anywhere! My biggest concern is where the heck it went. I looked for over an hour all over the garage floor and in the engine compartment, the Mrs. even came out and helped me look. The only thing I can think of is perhaps it's sitting under the engine or radiator. I got aggravated and decided I'll jack the car up tomorrow and pull the the little tray thingies of the bottom and hope it falls out. I don't want to even start it up not knowing where that screw went.

Man, it's always somethin'.:doh:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It's a t20, just took mine out today. Good luck finding it, sometimes taking a break and then going back at something solves all the issues.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a t20, just took mine out today. Good luck finding it, sometimes taking a break and then going back at something solves all the issues.
I agree, that's why I called it an evening. Would really hate for that screw to be somewhere it shouldn't be. Won't have my symposer delete plate until next week.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thanks for the head's up. I'm putting on my bushings and short throw shiftier plate tomorrow.
I put the trans bushings on last night. When putting the bracket back on, I recommend starting with the harder rear bushing which is tricky and only tighten a little. Then do the other two, again only tightening a little until the end. This allows you to put the lower part of the bushing down, get the bracket aligned, then put the top and screw in. Go slow, take your time and you should be okay!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I put the trans bushings on last night. When putting the bracket back on, I recommend starting with the harder rear bushing which is tricky and only tighten a little. Then do the other two, again only tightening a little until the end. This allows you to put the lower part of the bushing down, get the bracket aligned, then put the top and screw in. Go slow, take your time and you should be okay!
Based on what I've been reading and looking at some video, I'm going to use a few drops of super glue on each bushing to keep the halves together so I can get the bolts in.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on what I've been reading and looking at some video, I'm going to use a few drops of super glue on each bushing to keep the halves together so I can get the bolts in.
I used hot glue. All went smoothly until I lost that damn sound symposer mounting screw.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Why you would even bother reinstalling the sound symposer, is beyond me...

Should have bought a delete kit and done it while you were right there aswell...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

Should have bought a delete kit and done it while you were right there aswell...
That was my thought.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

We'll because I'm obviously a [email protected]!! :crazy:
Once it does get here it'll only take a minuet to put it on. Provided I don't drop anymore screws!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dropped one of those screws and also dropped my socket. The screw fell into the fan shroud and the socket fell into the felt cover under the engine. I'm sure yours is in 1 of those 2 places.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hate that crap! Good luck with retrieving it. I've dropped things into engine bay on multiple occasions.. bolt, socket, hex bit (just left it there, never to be found), wrench (luckily enough was able to fish out using magnet).

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update- Was going to pull the felt bottom cover of to go looking for the missing screw. I started smacking around on the underside below the grill, and the screw dropped out of the bottom (knew it was in there somewhere). Put everything back together and took it out for a spin. Shifting is a little better, but not as much as I'd hoped for. 2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 5th are still a bit notchy, but they are improved. In the end, I'm glad I put them in. I'll be removing the sound symposer just as soon as the kit arrives. :big smile:

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you think the screw is under something and you can't see it, you can always use a decent size magnet.

If that can re-assure you, clearly you are not the only one to whom that sort of crap happens.
Either I lose a screw, or I break a plastic tab of sorts or I forget to re-install some piece, or I put something the wrong way... That's probably why it takes me twice as long as anyone else to do something on my cars.
For instance, it took me a whole afternoon to replace the front plastic grill on the Focus (because I backed into it with my truck which has a tow hook with a ball). Although, at least I didn't damage the new part.
Or, a few years back, while putting the clam shell back on my Elise, I tightened a bolt a little too much and I had forgotten to put the spacers back and I made a cool looking star shape crack on the fiberglass...

Welcome to the club :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts