Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't hear my fan and not sure how often it should turn on. I'm not sure if it's working only because I never hear it. My engine temp never goes above 50% but maybe the coolant is just doing a good job. If the fan was not operating but I wasn't over heating would I get a code or would I only get a code if I was over heating?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can hear mine when I'm outside the vehicle, i don't notice it inside the car. Trust me, its working. The coolant can only do so much. Usually when a fan goes out it will run near operating temp while moving quickly but as soon as you come to a stop it will start to overheat usually fairly quickly

·
Registered
15 Posts
The stock coolant temp gauge is more of a dummy gauge than the pod on the dash. It's programmed to stay near the center unless it's too cold or too hot.

Sent from another garage.
On my 2015 I notice the temp changing fairly often as I drive. It stays lower when I'm driving slow and higher in traffic or when I'm running 70+mph. Mine seems to be rather accurate, but I might redo my gauges and sensors just because on my previous boosted cars I pay strict attention to those things.

To add to the conversation I hear my fan when my windows are down and I'm driving slow, but that's the only time. Like other said as soon as you stopped driving you're gonna overheat. Pretty really fast.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On my 2015 I notice the temp changing fairly often as I drive. It stays lower when I'm driving slow and higher in traffic or when I'm running 70+mph. Mine seems to be rather accurate, but I might redo my gauges and sensors just because on my previous boosted cars I pay strict attention to those things.

To add to the conversation I hear my fan when my windows are down and I'm driving slow, but that's the only time. Like other said as soon as you stopped driving you're gonna overheat. Pretty really fast.
Just get an accessport, or an sct. Theyre plug and play and can monitor pretty much everything

·
Registered
554 Posts
When I shut the car off and immediately get out I can hear the fan turning off, sounds like shutting a vacuum cleaner off.

Also the active air shutter motors somewhere in that mess of sounds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just confirmed it's running. Had to open the hood and see it after I was driving. After my experience with the stalling that suddenly went away by me just moving the harness around I'm paranoid of everything now. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
when moving (at anything more than a craw) there should be sufficient air flow through the radiator to keep the system with in spec. stopped in traffic and it usually will kick on in a short amount of time, but if you turn the AC on then the fan should turn on when the clutch is engaged (at least it is with most fords)

also as Unfocused mentioned, the water temp gauge in modern fords is buffered (not liner), the needle will set at dead center over a certain range of temps. with my LS, the engine is technically overheating by the time the needle starts to move above 50% basically its designed to keep the average person from worrying about it if its a little low or a little high. sucks for people that track or hoon their cars as they might want to actually know whats going on...

·
Registered
98 Posts
when moving (at anything more than a craw) there should be sufficient air flow through the radiator to keep the system with in spec. stopped in traffic and it usually will kick on in a short amount of time, but if you turn the AC on then the fan should turn on when the clutch is engaged (at least it is with most fords)

also as Unfocused mentioned, the water temp gauge in modern fords is buffered (not liner), the needle will set at dead center over a certain range of temps. with my LS, the engine is technically overheating by the time the needle starts to move above 50% basically its designed to keep the average person from worrying about it if its a little low or a little high. sucks for people that track or hoon their cars as they might want to actually know whats going on...
Im ok with the gauge not being totally accurate as the gauges in the ST are all mostly a joke anyway.

What I do wish it had was performance/vehicle data read outs as part of the menu in the instrument cluster center display. Many sporty cars have this now and I really wish the ST/RS included it as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts