Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I have a YouTube channel where we post a lot of ST content. We recently released a video that we feel rings very true to this forum. Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think and if you agree or not.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Reliable.... as a daily I have put 50k on the car in the past two years.

It was "reliable" up til yesterday :( the car blacked out and the engine cut, all signs point to ECU bricking or burned up (dealer hasn't got back to me just yet so just guessing from the loads of research I have done) should be covered under warranty. Car isn't tuned and have no mods that effect the ECU.

I will watch the video later tonight and give it a thumbs up ... if i like it ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gooby pls...

Depends on how you drive it + random manufacturing issues.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just rolled 80,000 on my 2013. Daily driver and travel vehicle unless it's snowy or I need to carry something big. Had the RMM and wiring harness TSBs and the door latch and rear hatch recalls done. Other than that oil and filter every 5,000, replaced the F1s at 50,000. And yes, when it's fun or I can embarrass someone with my "Focus" I will walk it pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hi guys, I watched about 5 minutes and wanted to give you some constructive criticism. 1) You should try having the light in front of you rather than having a bright ceiling light behind you. 2) get a better mic setup; you sound muffled. 3) The myth about not being able to floor it at low RPM's is exactly that. It's another story if one has a tune, but for the stock engine, it's totally OK. Other than that, and I don't mean to be cruel, but I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes because most of us here have heard it all before and you seem like a couple of high school guys trying to give advice to your dads. I'd like to be constructive here, but I'm not sure how you can get around that. Maybe be a little more knowledgeable about the subject. Watch your own videos, practice a lot in front of mirrors, and watch videos that others have done that you yourselves like a lot, and try to emulate that. If you really want to pursue this, you should probably not be using a phone camera, but maybe it just looked like that because of the lighting and sound. For sound, an external mic of any kind is better than the built in one.
As for the actual reliability, My previous car was a Honda Element (which consumer reports rated one of the most reliable cars of it's time) which I had ten years and 170k miles. I literally never took it back to the dealer because nothing went wrong in the first three years. I wish that Fords were that reliable, but it's not so. The car before my Honda was a Ford and I feel like the ST follows the general Ford pattern. I had just a few issues under warranty but nothing extreme, and since leaving warranty I've had just oil changes and normal wear and tear. Mine is an early '13 and I have 70k miles on it. I got a Stratified tune about 10k miles ago and love it, also a resonator delete. I am on my 4th set of tires and for this set I went cheap 'cause I got tired of spending $1100 every time, and the cheap set was exactly half that. I wore out the brakes at 21k and put hawk pads on and they are still good, tho now I have a warped rotor, but at 70k it's to be expected.
There are some people that have nothing but trouble. Unfortunately, that's just the luck of the draw. I run the snot out of mine with no serious issues and hope to have it last to at least 200k. Or maybe 400k like some others.

I hope that helps!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I haven't watched the video yet so I am not commenting on that. I would say STs can be reliable. I have clocked 71,450 miles with no major or minor defects whatsoever. Now, that mileage stopped climbing earlier this month when I wrecked, but even during the crash, my car treated me very well. Very soft impact, didn't even spill my tea! Of course, we'll see if the good luck continues when the car comes back this week. After over $9k in damages, there are bound to be ghosts ...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Totally ok to floor it at low RPM??? with any tune it isn’t good.... lugging the engine... more heat... heat in any motor, especially turbo applications is baddddd
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Define low RPM. I say anything above 3k, but arm wavers will wave arms. If you read up on this you will find that this can be a problem with some cars, but ford is specifically mentioned as having no issue. And especially with the advent of direct injection. I ran mine with no tune to 60k miles and have not destroyed the engine, all while not downshifting when passing on the highway at anything above 60.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Pretty much. I've hit the speed governor once and have been in the 120+ MPH range multiple times on strips and private roads and you can't get to that speed in 4th and 5th gear.
Speed governor? we don't have one... i have done 144 in my ST and it could have easily went more ... once you get up there of course you are going to have to run in 5th and mash the throttle to keep going. the engine will be fine because you will be in high RRRRRRs

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i watched the video and honestly this is all "common sense" that has been covered in about 100 youtube videos. not knocking it but just saying. would agree you guys are all over the place and rambling wasn't scripted but that is fine because you did better than I could.

Hope your video reaches folks and people get the message and change their ways.

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
Really stupid question. I am serious. I have been running stage3 cobb OTS for 90K miles. I have 95K miles on my car, 1000 laps on sandia speedway. I beat the **** out of this car. doesn't burn oil, doesn't make noise. no issues what so ever. people pop their cars because of user/tuner error.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Really stupid question. I am serious. I have been running stage3 cobb OTS for 90K miles. I have 95K miles on my car, 1000 laps on sandia speedway. I beat the **** out of this car. doesn't burn oil, doesn't make noise. no issues what so ever. people pop their cars because of user/tuner error.
you are a lucky one? who knows man .I would say most are user errors.. My car is in the shop of an unexplained reason right now... the screens blacked out and the car shut down, long story short it happened monday and still no word but guesses are a bricked ECU... 50k on the car and no tune and no ECU mods. the mods I do have no effect on the ECU....

in other words **** happens and cars "built on Friday" are often faulty. i know of a few that had less than 5k on their car and had issues, no mods, maybe bad driving? hard to tell because I wasn't driving but to me it just sounds like a flaw from the factory... which isn't uncommon, sadly!

I do think these cars need to be run hard every now and then to keep the carbon clear... good old itailian tuning ;) . I have check my valves and i have little build up to others I have seen with fewer miles and claim they baby the car and have short commutes to work (both contribute to build up)

long story short it isn't a single answer or easy question to ask or answer. and no one has the correct answer, not one thing you do can prevent this or that from happening if you have a crack block from the factory...etc etc etc

·
Registered
744 Posts
Speed governor? we don't have one... i have done 144 in my ST and it could have easily went more ... once you get up there of course you are going to have to run in 5th and mash the throttle to keep going. the engine will be fine because you will be in high RRRRRRs
We're speed governed to 156 MPH. Trust me, once it gets there, it kicks backs and won't let you go any faster.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
We're speed governed to 156 MPH. Trust me, once it gets there, it kicks backs and won't let you go any faster.
the car is rated for 158 and I have never heard of a limiter so . 156 is fast and I don't think I will attempt anyways. 144 was good enough :p i don't go to mexico enough to attempt it anyways

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
156 is exactly where a 4th gen Camaro was set at. That's also how I know how fast I've gone before. Don't see myself trying to do 156 in the ST any time soon...
the car is rated for 158 and I have never heard of a limiter so . 156 is fast and I don't think I will attempt anyways. 144 was good enough :p i don't go to mexico enough to attempt it anyways
@nickbaldwin86 is completely right, there is NOT a limiter. Our car is drag limited. Our aerodynamics do not allow our car to go any faster at our current horsepower. At 155mph the wind resistance is like driving through muddy water if not worse...you need a lot of power to overcome the air resistance. It is not at all electronically limited. Yes, in 6th you still have RPM left over...we simply don't make enough power to push through the last of our engine.

Drag limited = aerodynamics limited/air resistance
Gearing limited = our gear runs out/we hit rev limiter
Electronically limited = Our cars computer literally sets an electronic limiter and doesn't allow us to push past it. We don't have one. Cars from ~2005 that shut off at 100mph that we all hated..yeah that's an electronic one.

Oddly enough only Car and Driver actually cared to add that it's drag limited: Ford Focus ST Reviews - Ford Focus ST Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
They only got 150, probably due to where they are located.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
@nickbaldwin86 is completely right, there is NOT a limiter. Our car is drag limited. Our aerodynamics do not allow our car to go any faster at our current horsepower. At 155mph the wind resistance is like driving through muddy water if not worse...you need a lot of power to overcome the air resistance. It is not at all electronically limited. Yes, in 6th you still have RPM left over...we simply don't make enough power to push through the last of our engine.

Drag limited = aerodynamics limited/air resistance
Gearing limited = our gear runs out/we hit rev limiter
Electronically limited = Our cars computer literally sets an electronic limiter and doesn't allow us to push past it. We don't have one. Cars from ~2005 that shut off at 100mph that we all hated..yeah that's an electronic one.

Oddly enough only Car and Driver actually cared to add that it's drag limited: Ford Focus ST Reviews - Ford Focus ST Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
They only got 150, probably due to where they are located.
I am glad I am not wrong, I really have never EVAR heard of our cars having any kind of limits. I am sure with the perfect conditions the car could hit 158 like advertised. and with Stage 3 the car can go just barely above that. and with a BT it could do it faster and above.... I agree the car would need aero work and a drop in suspension to achieve those numbers.

It really does take a lot to overcome the forces that are all working to heavily against the car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I am glad I am not wrong, I really have never EVAR heard of our cars having any kind of limits. I am sure with the perfect conditions the car could hit 158 like advertised. and with Stage 3 the car can go just barely above that. and with a BT it could do it faster and above.... I agree the car would need aero work and a drop in suspension to achieve those numbers.

It really does take a lot to overcome the forces that are all working to heavily against the car.
I want to say I remember seeing a big turbo guy who hit 16x or something like that...so it took him an extra 100+ horsepower to reach 160 something. Goes to show that we just need some aero makeover to surpass that number. Hence why racecars look ridiculous and scrape half an inch above the ground lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts