Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the OTS Stage 1 tune, just wondering if I can safely run the Cobb turbo back exhaust? I'm already running the Cobb cat back exhaust, I'd like to complete the turbo back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hello,

You shouldn't use the Stage1 map with the downpipe installed. Aside from a CEL, overboost and potential damage could result. Custom tuning would be an option but the upside would be very limited with the stock intercooler.

[email protected]

I actually ran stage 1 tune for about a month while having stage 3 mods but the car didnt feel right and swapped to the proper tune. Could you please elaborate further on the overboost and potential damage you refer to?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I actually ran stage 1 tune for about a month while having stage 3 mods but the car didnt feel right and swapped to the proper tune. Could you please elaborate further on the overboost and potential damage you refer to?
Boost peaks too high for map not supporting the mods, causing the vehicle to run lean which melts pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TrevorGoodchild

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Boost peaks too high for map not supporting the mods, causing the vehicle to run lean which melts pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow.

I have a feeling that is not what he wanted to hear. Good reminder this tuning thing is no monkey business.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks, but thats the part I dont get, why does the boost goes too high on a stage 1 map designed for less "capable" mods even though you are running better mods (stage 3)?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing my self.
I have read else where it's fine to run a stock tune with mods, even catless downpipes(with the risk of throwing a catalyst efficiency code) you just don't any benefits really.

·
Registered
530 Posts
In for response to those last questions.

OP, buy or build a fmic (look it up, not hard and dumb cheap compared to an off the shelf kit) and just go stage 3. Downpipe is the reason most don't, you're already there, might as well just get the fmic now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts