Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS ac K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc, CNT cat, 3" pipe, Steeda RMM
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another post, I'm considering an MBRP 3" exhaust, or an Accelatec 2.5". As an old time hot rodder who's primarily had 8 cylinders, but also had turbo 4's, I got to thinking 2-1/2 inch exhaust just doesn't make sense for a car putting out over 250 HP. The stock exhaust narrows down even smaller in some areas, closer to 2 inch. It's seems like a miracle that it makes over 250 hp with the stock exhaust.

Anyway, a couple of things I found, one is an exhaust chart that reinforces the 3" as well as a link to a ZZP video covering exhaust where it recommends 3" for turbo cars.

Has anyone here gotten much more than stock horsepower running less than 3 inch exhaust?

Thanks!

Here's those sources:

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
As I mentioned in another post, I'm considering an MBRP 3" exhaust, or an Accelatec 2.5". As an old time hot rodder who's primarily had 8 cylinders, but also had turbo 4's, I got to thinking 2-1/2 inch exhaust just doesn't make sense for a car putting out over 250 HP. The stock exhaust narrows down even smaller in some areas, closer to 2 inch. It's seems like a miracle that it makes over 250 hp with the stock exhaust.

Anyway, a couple of things I found, one is an exhaust chart that reinforces the 3" as well as a link to a ZZP video covering exhaust where it recommends 3" for turbo cars.

Has anyone here gotten much more than stock horsepower running less than 3 inch exhaust?

Thanks!

Here's those sources:

Stock 2.5" is good to 350hp. There's no limit unless you go BT.

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
^^^What he said^^^ Unless you are going for a bigger turbo, the factory exhaust is not a limiting factor, the little tiny KO3 is the bottle neck.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hmmm. I think my Ford Performance Exhaust by Borla is still 2.5"... I wonder if that's going to be an issue when when slapping on my 2867 Gen2 on full aux.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS ac K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc, CNT cat, 3" pipe, Steeda RMM
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is with a 2.5” exhaust. I was told by my turbo manufacturer I need a 3”. My tuner said it isn’t necessary. I believe my tuner.
View attachment 394422
Wow over 450 hp and almost 450 Ft lbs? Dang I'm a believer!

What do you have done to that car to make so much power?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
This is with a 2.5” exhaust. I was told by my turbo manufacturer I need a 3”. My tuner said it isn’t necessary. I believe my tuner.
lol, way to mic drop...don’t you have some blue-haired litttle old ladies to go chase 😂

all of it, that’s what he’s done 🙃

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
330 Posts
BNR 3071 turbo. Cobb 3” catted downpipe. FSwerks 2.5” stealth exhaust. Mishimoto hot side charge pipe. JBR cold side charge pipe with Tial bov. 2 port stratified aux fuel kit & split second controller. Tuned by Alan at EdgeAutoSport. Had to upgrade the clutch, stock won’t grab anything over 420wtorque. Spec 3+ with lightweight flywheel installed Saturday.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
330 Posts

Dyno was done today as well
That's wild! Big turbo. Makes me want one now. That must be a blast to drive.
absolutely, I’ll post videos of me giving sauce to V8s lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
@Tunapish , that exhaust looks like a straight pipe with a resonator, lol. I'm not seeing any restrictive 'muffler' looking object, but I realize that cylinder supposedly is one.
Is it this one?

Reactions: Tunapish

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Downpipe next logical upgrade for me? If so, what defouler would I need with a high flow cat? J type or ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That will work fine. I use a CP-e one that they provide with their High Flow/Catless DPs - straight with no angle - works without a problem. I use a high flow cat with the medium insert for the defouler.
I can get a decent deal on a lightly used cpe... If I get it, the angled extension works as the defouler so I don't need an extra? Thx

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
I can get a decent deal on a lightly used cpe... If I get it, the angled extension works as the defouler so I don't need an extra? Thx View attachment 394429
You will still need a de-fouler; I would ask the seller if they have the one that came with the downpipe.

Reactions: xTheMan42

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I can get a decent deal on a lightly used cpe... If I get it, the angled extension works as the defouler so I don't need an extra? Thx View attachment 394429
The defouler I referenced was a CP-e one that they make - the J-style defouler will work fine with any downpipe. I'm not sure about the CP-e one, but I would assume it would be the same size - just not angled.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
People on the stock K03: "I need a 3" exhaust"
Your K03:

"No, no you don't"...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts