Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really keen on cutting my hatch floorboard to bits. Are there any other options? Anyone make a new floor? I'm thinking of making something the right size and putting my Lloyd mat or a weathertech mat over it. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Making a new floor board is extremely easy (provided you have the right tools such as a jig saw).

Just go out and buy a sheet of 1/4" plywood, take the OEM floor and lay it on the sheet of ply and trace it out. Then use the jigsaw to cut out your new floor. Make what ever modifications you need to get it to fit and then buy some matching carpet and spray adhesive. Since tis a perfectly flat surface, gluing the carpet to the board is so simple a caveman could do it. Hour project tops.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You're only pulling back the fabric, cutting back only one edge about 4-5" and then re-securing the fabric. How is that cutting into bits? No big deal.

Faster and cheaper than making a new subfloor and finishing it

·
Registered
394 Posts
Making a new floor board is extremely easy (provided you have the right tools such as a jig saw).

Just go out and buy a sheet of 1/4" plywood, take the OEM floor and lay it on the sheet of ply and trace it out. Then use the jigsaw to cut out your new floor. Make what ever modifications you need to get it to fit and then buy some matching carpet and spray adhesive. Since tis a perfectly flat surface, gluing the carpet to the board is so simple a caveman could do it. Hour project tops.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ya I just did this and recovered the 1/4 ply with the old fabric. Just cut one edge with a razor and it comes right off. Re glue onto new piece, done. Looks like the factory did it. And I drilled some 1" holes above the amp to let it breath a little. Simple simple job.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just cut my floor board, no biggy.
How does it sound? The Stealth boxes are pretty pricey, part of me wants to go big and put a 10w6 in the floor where the spare used to be.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I like mine. You're paying extra for two things.
1. JL Audio is not a budget brand in the least
2. A custom fiberglass enclosure molded for a vehicle is serious money.

However, there are compromises, and a w6 in a proper enclosure would be louder and deeper than the shallow mount W3 thin woofer. However, it's musical, and can rattle the windows. I've got an Alpine 5ch amp, that does 300w peak to the sub channel and it's plenty loud and deep for a small car (Not to mention my source material is either radio or free pandora streaming, so quality is already compromised).

It all depends on what you're after, and perhaps you're looking to "crank it to 11," and not just keep it at 8/9...

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
The whole JL audio set up costed me 3,000$ and sounds great after it was re-wired. It had to be re-wired cause the last guy sucked/hated his job at the speaker shop. I absolutely love the sound quality of all speakers, the stealth box in back allows me plenty of grocery space with the sound of a 12in. sub in a huge box set up.
It wasn't a cheap purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts