Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled the trigger on MFactory's LSD, and this will probably be my last mod for a while. It's essentially the missing piece that I've been wanting because all I'm doing with this 400+hp is leaving one wheel peels.

For those of you that have installed this, or brought it to a shop, how long did it take? I do 99% of my own work but this is one that I'm gonna leave up to the pros. I'd like to have an idea of total shop cost for labor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's a video to give you a better idea on the effort levels:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Not a focus or ford specialty shop at all, but a business neighbor to Stratified Tuning has about two days worth of work put into putting in an LSD into either a Stratified car, or a customer's car...

All the work that goes into it, it sure looks to be the case.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Its around 1000 to 1200 in labor. Takes two days. You need to let the new seal adhere before you put the trans back into the car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn If I had a garage I'd do this one on my own. My HOA wouldn't appreciate the hoist. Doing the Turbo was bad enough without having to actually pull the motor or trans.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Damn If I had a garage I'd do this one on my own. My HOA wouldn't appreciate the hoist. Doing the Turbo was bad enough without having to actually pull the motor or trans.
You don't need to pull the motor. It actually is not hard just time consuming. Jack front up high, trans comes right out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even that would probably get me a fine....hmm but is the fine less than shop labor? That's the question.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its around 1000 to 1200 in labor. Takes two days. You need to let the new seal adhere before you put the trans back into the car.
You don't actually have to wait at all if you seal the trans properly with anaerobic sealer and activator. I pulled my trans and install the Mfactory LSD and then applied permatex anaerobic gasket maker on one side of the case and then applied permatex surface prep activator on the other. Then reinstall the trans in the car and fill the trans and you're good to go. It's a good idea to always use the surface prep activator for important joints or things that are a pain to get to if they fail. For unprimed/no activator applications it takes 4-24 hours to be considered fully cured. When activator is used, it takes only 30 minutes to 4 hours to be considered fully cured. Another HUGE Plus of using an activator is that it can fill cuts or scrapes in your flanges up to 5x (.050" vs .010") what it could normally fill. This is why I highly recommend using the activator. Check out the graphs in the Technical sheet if you really want to understand the sealing strength vs time.

Gasket Maker 51813
https://www.permatex.com/products/g...nge-sealants/permatex-anaerobic-gasket-maker/

Activator
https://www.permatex.com/products/t...rmatex-surface-prep-activator-for-anaerobics/

Technical Data Sheet Proving what I say is true
http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_378.pdf

·
Registered
255 Posts
It took me 17 hours over the course of a weekend. I went with the MFactory unit as well.

I followed this thread: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/7043-how-install-quaife-lsd.html , he also has videos as well.

It was time consuming, not that difficult, just time consuming and lots of patience. If I were to do it again I thing I could knock off a few hours. I also had my dad help, which having an extra hand helps when trying to separate the A-arms and also from dropping/installing the gearbox.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It took me 17 hours over the course of a weekend. I went with the MFactory unit as well.

I followed this thread: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/7043-how-install-quaife-lsd.html , he also has videos as well.

It was time consuming, not that difficult, just time consuming and lots of patience. If I were to do it again I thing I could knock off a few hours. I also had my dad help, which having an extra hand helps when trying to separate the A-arms and also from dropping/installing the gearbox.
Would you say you had all the right tools for the job (specialty tools, impact gun etc), or were you turning bolts by hand and having to keep running back and forth to the parts store?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Would you say you had all the right tools for the job (specialty tools, impact gun etc), or were you turning bolts by hand and having to keep running back and forth to the parts store?
Yeah I used hand tools only. No impacts or anything. I also made sure to have anything I needed on hand before I started so no running to the parts store was needed.

His "How-To" thread has all the tools and such that you need. I read that multiple times to make sure I had everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts