Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks- just looking for some info from fellow So-Cal people on how they mod / what they go through to enjoy their cars? I just moved here from SW Colorado where we didn't even have emissions checks...much less all of the crap that you have to jump through out here to legally drive a car. I'd love to put a catted DP on the car among other things to get it around stage 3 mod equivalency but seems like anything over catback and airfilter can make your life hard out here. I live in Highland (San Bernardino County)- any ideas on what sort of hoops I need to jump through to throw a FSWerks intercooler, DP, and a tune on this thing? Thanks for any tips / methods- feel free to PM if you want!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mod it to your preference, just don't get caught like I did lol. Make sure when the vehicle gets smogged that it has the stock tune and stock cat back in the car, other than that just stay away from the pigs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
May as well go catless because there is no Cali legal cat so you'd just be wasting your money on a catted dp. As far as an intercooler goes there's no carb laws against changing out the factory unit to aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mod it to your preference, just don't get caught like I did lol. Make sure when the vehicle gets smogged that it has the stock tune and stock cat back in the car, other than that just stay away from the pigs.
i have gotten 14 speeding ticket throughout the IE..... fight your tickets, i have beaten ALL OF THEM... havent paid one cent.officer no show = case dismissed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have gotten 14 speeding ticket throughout the IE..... fight your tickets, i have beaten ALL OF THEM... havent paid one cent.officer no show = case dismissed.
I got a state REF ticket for modified emissions, I'm going to fight it once the car passes inspection and say it was stock lol. That is impressive though!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha all good things to know guys- thanks for the tips. Does anyone know off the top of their heads how often you have to get a ST smogged in San Bernardino County? Already got the initial pass so I should be good for at least a year. Just wondering if I would have to swap out the downpipe every year? If so that's sort of a PITA- if it would be once every 2-3 years on the other hand...I could probably swing that lol.

Nice to know the intercooler doesn't matter :).

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I got a state REF ticket for modified emissions, I'm going to fight it once the car passes inspection and say it was stock lol. That is impressive though!
There's no fighting it Trev. You pass you don't pay all the fines just the processing and ref fees.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Haha all good things to know guys- thanks for the tips. Does anyone know off the top of their heads how often you have to get a ST smogged in San Bernardino County? Already got the initial pass so I should be good for at least a year. Just wondering if I would have to swap out the downpipe every year? If so that's sort of a PITA- if it would be once every 2-3 years on the other hand...I could probably swing that lol.

Nice to know the intercooler doesn't matter :).
Every 2 years. If you buy the car new in California you don't have to smog for the first 6 years. Its called smog abatement. You get a ref. ticket even on a new car before the abatement expires you go every 2 years.

The Smog Abatement Fee is the annual $20.00 fee that must be paid upon registration renewal in lieu of the bi-annual smog inspection. This fee is included on deals with vehicle model years 6 or less model years old

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
BTW, if your going to mod put in a catted 100 cell dp. The smell of catless is what gives it away. For the 2-3 horsepower you'll lose it a little insurance when the cops are behind you and don't smell the car. Aftermarket cats will also pass the portable sniffer the CHP has. They have portable sniffers and sometimes set up smog checks on the side of the road.

·
Registered
79 Posts
BTW, if your going to mod put in a catted 100 cell dp. The smell of catless is what gives it away. For the 2-3 horsepower you'll lose it a little insurance when the cops are behind you and don't smell the car. Aftermarket cats will also pass the portable sniffer the CHP has. They have portable sniffers and sometimes set up smog checks on the side of the road.
Which are not mandatory IIRC

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does this smog abatment only count for cars bought new IN California? I purchased the ST last year in Longmont, CO- wondering if I could still apply for this now that the car has been smogged successfully in CA for 2016?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does this smog abatment only count for cars bought new IN California? I purchased the ST last year in Longmont, CO- wondering if I could still apply for this now that the car has been smogged successfully in CA for 2016?
If bought out of state it must be smogged before it can be registered here in ca. Doesn't matter if it's brand new or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
i thought new cars didnt have to smog for seven years

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
^ Same with my Missouri house...

·
Registered
236 Posts
You have to smog any car that comes into CA. However, once you've passed the initial smog test you won't be required to have another until the vehicle is 6 years old. At least, that's what has occurred with our 2010 Escape. We moved here in 2011 and smogged it at that time, then got a notice with this year's registration to smog it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have to smog any car that comes into CA. However, once you've passed the initial smog test you won't be required to have another until the vehicle is 6 years old. At least, that's what has occurred with our 2010 Escape. We moved here in 2011 and smogged it at that time, then got a notice with this year's registration to smog it.

Awesome- exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts