Ford Focus ST Forum banner

201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
Police here would impound my car the second they see it. In Germany you're better off with a giant dildo on the hood than with such aluminium parts bolted to your car
Well, this is my new favorite quote on here. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Police here would impound my car the second they see it. In Germany you're better off with a giant dildo on the hood than with such aluminium parts bolted to your car
Jeez I can’t believe that. And they would impound it without even giving you a chance to take off the stuff? That is crazy. I’m glad that atleast here on the east coast they really don’t enforce that part of the law.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Ohh, yeah. I'm going to need you to do better photography and write-ups. That's your new homework assignment.

Pics of the gauges? What brand did you go with? Oil pressure sandwich plate adapter?
I can do that whenever I get home from work lol. Don’t get mad if the pictures are sideways. But anyway the gauges I will definitely take pictures and show the way I routed the wires and fitment. I went with Glow Shift Gauges for now there clock gauge there 35 psi gauge and volt gauge all from the 7 tinted series. I was waiting for the JBR oil cooler swap out one of the gauges for since it comes with a sandwich plate with extra bungs.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
And they would impound it without even giving you a chance to take off the stuff? That is crazy. I’m glad that atleast here on the east coast they really don’t enforce that part of the law.
Depends on the cop. They do have some great discretionary leeway. But if he or she has a bad day or hates tuned cars in general, they can by law impound your car or at least shut it down. Latter will forbid you to drive away with it, so you have to tow it away and "fix" it and then show it at the next inspection facility.
That they will let you off with a warning only is very very unlikely. At the very least they will fine you several hundred $ for driving a car with voided approval.
Which gets to the next point: The second you loose your vehicle type approval, you also loose insurance coverage. So if you hit someone and a person gets hurt, in the worst case by the unapproved parts, the insurance company will give you the finger and you have to pay all medical treatment or compensation by yourself.
All in all, not worth the hassle imo.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Guys here is my write up and a little instructional on how I installed my AEM stage 2 kit. I tried to take pictures and such but the lighting is not the best and I did this about 6 months ago so be patient with me.

Ok so I started my install with locating where I wanted the tank and pump. I located the tank on the drivers side wheel well and the pump on the floor of the trunk in the drivers side corner. Remember you must have the tank higher than the pump so it can feed the pump. The pump will be mounted with the included self tapping screws. I decided to just mount it straight to the floor. I would also like to add if you are adding the tank to the side of the wheel well area that you make sure to cut out the black divider floor perfectly. It has a tough cardboard inside. Just take your time with it.

IMG_1552[1].JPG IMG_1553[1].JPG

Make sure to route the lines so they are not to kink. I also purchased a not included filter that I mounted on the tank side of the meth lines.

Now I decided that because of the amount of wires and trying to find the straightest place possible for the meth line that the wires were going to be ran up the drivers side and the meth line was going to be ran up the passenger side. If you remove you door grommets there is a very nice and easy and clean way you can run wires up to the front of the vehicle.

IMG_1557[1].JPG IMG_1558[1].JPG

If you started with the meth side go ahead and CAREFULLY run it and do not kink it. You will want to remove the glove box which is very easy but tight to do. There will be a massive grommet that goes threw the fire wall that is not pictured from the inside. Go ahead and use a knife and cut a hole out and run your line threw smartly. Keep the glove box off as you will be running your boost tap and your power wires threw the same area.

Here is the grommet form the engine side of the car. Keep towards the top of the grommet to make running and pulling the wire/meth line easier. I ran it and then wraped it in a heat wrap to help protect it from and keep it cooler from the heat of the motor and to stop it from rubbing.

IMG_1559[1].JPG IMG_1560[1].JPG

Running the wire is the same process but you will be running some of the wires towards the back depending on where you decide to mount the controller.

Now just neatly route the wires under the driver side of the dash. I have a million wires from all the crap I have added so please excuse the extra wires. You can easily fish with a metal coat hanger the wires from one side of the car to the other by using the support bar that runs across threw the dash. Run the boost line the wires that need ran over to the passenger side that need to get tapped into the fuse box and battery.

IMG_1564[1].JPG IMG_1565[1].JPG

The final step is finding a source of boost. This is where I tapped into the lines that run on top of the motor. It is that 3rd vacuum line that Ts off that is between the coil packs

IMG_1566[1].JPG

That is about everything really. As long as you follow the wire diagram and can locate the correct fuses you will be just fine. I did not add the fuse locations as I believe they are different between the ST1-ST3 and the 2013-2014 vs the 2015 and up.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Bonus post here is more pictures of the Gauge pods. Fitment is great just take your time. Also the 35 PSI boost gauge is a tad off from zero so I will be getting a replacement soon hopefully.
IMG_1530[1].JPG IMG_1532[1].JPG IMG_1530[1].JPG IMG_1550[1].JPG IMG_1549[1].JPG

Side note the gas light is intermittently on and off and throw a code at times saying that the fuel sensor voltage circuit is high. I just haven't been bothered with it. I know how many miles I get out of my tank lol

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Depends on the cop. They do have some great discretionary leeway. But if he or she has a bad day or hates tuned cars in general, they can by law impound your car or at least shut it down. Latter will forbid you to drive away with it, so you have to tow it away and "fix" it and then show it at the next inspection facility.
That they will let you off with a warning only is very very unlikely. At the very least they will fine you several hundred $ for driving a car with voided approval.
Which gets to the next point: The second you loose your vehicle type approval, you also loose insurance coverage. So if you hit someone and a person gets hurt, in the worst case by the unapproved parts, the insurance company will give you the finger and you have to pay all medical treatment or compensation by yourself.
All in all, not worth the hassle imo.
Wow sounds like you should just move here and have a little more freedom with your car. I never would have guessed that Germany would be that strict with that kind of stuff. How do they treat emissions like exhausts and Cat deletes?

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
Guys here is my write up and a little instructional on how I installed my AEM stage 2 kit. I tried to take pictures and such but the lighting is not the best and I did this about 6 months ago so be patient with me.

Ok so I started my install with locating where I wanted the tank and pump. I located the tank on the drivers side wheel well and the pump on the floor of the trunk in the drivers side corner. Remember you must have the tank higher than the pump so it can feed the pump. The pump will be mounted with the included self tapping screws. I decided to just mount it straight to the floor. I would also like to add if you are adding the tank to the side of the wheel well area that you make sure to cut out the black divider floor perfectly. It has a tough cardboard inside. Just take your time with it.

View attachment 375595 View attachment 375596

Make sure to route the lines so they are not to kink. I also purchased a not included filter that I mounted on the tank side of the meth lines.

Now I decided that because of the amount of wires and trying to find the straightest place possible for the meth line that the wires were going to be ran up the drivers side and the meth line was going to be ran up the passenger side. If you remove you door grommets there is a very nice and easy and clean way you can run wires up to the front of the vehicle.

View attachment 375599 View attachment 375600

If you started with the meth side go ahead and CAREFULLY run it and do not kink it. You will want to remove the glove box which is very easy but tight to do. There will be a massive grommet that goes threw the fire wall that is not pictured from the inside. Go ahead and use a knife and cut a hole out and run your line threw smartly. Keep the glove box off as you will be running your boost tap and your power wires threw the same area.

Here is the grommet form the engine side of the car. Keep towards the top of the grommet to make running and pulling the wire/meth line easier. I ran it and then wraped it in a heat wrap to help protect it from and keep it cooler from the heat of the motor and to stop it from rubbing.

View attachment 375601 View attachment 375604

Running the wire is the same process but you will be running some of the wires towards the back depending on where you decide to mount the controller.

Now just neatly route the wires under the driver side of the dash. I have a million wires from all the crap I have added so please excuse the extra wires. You can easily fish with a metal coat hanger the wires from one side of the car to the other by using the support bar that runs across threw the dash. Run the boost line the wires that need ran over to the passenger side that need to get tapped into the fuse box and battery.

View attachment 375606 View attachment 375605

The final step is finding a source of boost. This is where I tapped into the lines that run on top of the motor. It is that 3rd vacuum line that Ts off that is between the coil packs

View attachment 375607

That is about everything really. As long as you follow the wire diagram and can locate the correct fuses you will be just fine. I did not add the fuse locations as I believe they are different between the ST1-ST3 and the 2013-2014 vs the 2015 and up.
What size nozzle? Did you adjust your split second after meth?

We need the maths

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
What size nozzle? Did you adjust your split second after meth?

We need the maths
Ok ok lol. For now it’s the 500 CC nozzle. I probably could run the 1000 CC and push it a little itty bit more but I want to be a “little” conservative on the tune only because of the motors age and the turbo size. I’m practically maxing out the turbo. The split second was not adjusted. Pretty much what happened was I had the aux first and had that fully tuned. Then threw on the meth and tuned for that. We used the Aux fuel map as a base map for the meth map and built upon that. I have 3 slots. 3 is 15 PSI/spring pressure. 2 is the Aux Fueling map 26.5 psi 1 is the Meth map. 27.5 psi and a butt load of added timing. Fun switching between them though I usually cruise around in 2

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Wow sounds like you should just move here and have a little more freedom with your car.
I have thought about that, but there are more pros than cons to live in Germany. ;)
Free healthcare, a state pension funds, the Autobahn, better beer (sorry, just had to :p) and you can't be sued for the stupidity of others, just to name a few.

I never would have guessed that Germany would be that strict with that kind of stuff. How do they treat emissions like exhausts and Cat deletes?
Exhausts can be fine if they're approved. Cat deletes on the other hand... Don't even think about it. Because the car tax model is based on emissions, a cat delete not only voids your car approval, they can also get you for tax fraud.
But there are some approved sports cat like I run (200cell) which are legal.
Think of California, but a bit worse. :D

That being said, its not all bad here. There's still some stuff you can do and in many cases there is still the possibility of a custom approval, albeit it can be darn expensive.
But if you take a peek at my signature, all those mods are legal and registered for my VIN.
And on the bright side, this prevents junk tuning parts from entering the market because they have to meet minimum quality certifications, thus making it safer for everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
I have thought about that, but there are more pros than cons to live in Germany. ;)
Free healthcare, a state pension funds, the Autobahn, better beer (sorry, just had to :p) and you can't be sued for the stupidity of others, just to name a few.

Exhausts can be fine if they're approved. Cat deletes on the other hand... Don't even think about it. Because the car tax model is based on emissions, a cat delete not only voids your car approval, they can also get you for tax fraud.
But there are some approved sports cat like I run (200cell) which are legal.
Think of California, but a bit worse. :D

That being said, its not all bad here. There's still some stuff you can do and in many cases there is still the possibility of a custom approval, albeit it can be darn expensive.
But if you take a peek at my signature, all those mods are legal and registered for my VIN.
And on the bright side, this prevents junk tuning parts from entering the market because they have to meet minimum quality certifications, thus making it safer for everyone.
Would they really know if you took out the cat though? And thats actually nice that they do that. It would be nice to have something like that here so some degree. I mean for the most part the ST community has a lot of nice quality parts. Free health care would be great. But is it good or is it like a bare minimum kinda of thing?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Would they really know if you took out the cat though?
Yes, since you have to attend a mandatory inspection every other year and they include road safety inspections* as well as emissions testing.
* Which is sort of good because traveling 150mph on the Autobahn with a rotten control arm of dead dampers isn't what you want to experience.

Free health care would be great. But is it good or is it like a bare minimum kinda of thing?
It is pretty good. Necessary medical treatment (including surgery) is fully covered, for prescribed medication you have to make a down payment of €5 (~$6 )at the pharmacy. This also includes cancer medication for example which would otherwise easily cost a few thousand $.
Long story short: it is more than enough so you won't ever have to worry about money when you're ill, regardless of what you have.

Reactions: Caleb ST1

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Ok guys sorry about the lack of updates but I am getting married this Saturday! Don't worry she lets me buy my car parts and we are looking at getting her a Fiesta ST too!!!!!!!

Anyway back to the car I have a good many updates. I replaced my stock radiator that developed a crack and was spewing coolant everywhere. Got a great deal on a Mishimoto unit from CJ Poney Parts.
IMG_1642[1].JPG IMG_1649[1].JPG

Install was straight forward but it was very tight and hard to get everything lined up. Put fresh coolant in and fired her up. No leaks. While I had the front bumper off I put in my JBR oil cooler since I was also doing a oil change. The installation was straight forward except for the finale tightening of the oil lines where they connect to the sandwich plate as that was an extremely tight fit for almost all of my tools.

The oil temps are much better than what they have been especially when going up the mountains to get to DC to work. The only thing is that when I checked after a week of driving I had to re tighten the connection points after checking everything for leaks. I just wish there was a better way to tighten the lines but they have not been leaking at all since then.

Next up is the JBR front+back endlinks. Now this one really surprised me with the amount of improved tightness and overall handling of the car. Really sticks to the road now (Especially after the new Michelin pilot super 4S's.) The turn in is very quick and precise. Being able to adjust out the preload of the suspension is fantastic and I really think that is what is helping the handling along with how much thicker these are than the OEM ones. I will say to buy grease when you buy these as JBR recommends that you grease them up every oil change. Its not a hard thing to do as the endlinks there selves are extremely easy to put in.

IMG_1628[1].JPG IMG_1631[1].JPG
IMG_1626[1].JPG IMG_1627[1].JPG

Lastly I bought the Kicker KS kit from Stage 3. Install was very easy after figuring out how the speaker mounts onto the adapter ring. Door panels came right off easily and swapping everything around was extremely simple. Literally plug and play. Now I have an aftermarket head unit and sub woofer. But these door speakers really helped clean up the sound and really brought the whole thing together. I was very impressed especially for the price. Makes me want to upgrade the tweeters to see if they are a weak link but I am very happy for now.

So far the car is doing great. I am still saving up for the stage 3+ eduerance clutch from Southbend and Mfactrouy LSD. I will keep everyone updated on what I do next!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Ok guys sorry about the lack of updates but I am getting married this Saturday! Don't worry she lets me buy my car parts and we are looking at getting her a Fiesta ST too!!!!!!!
Congratulations on your engagement!

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Congratulations on your engagement!
Thank you. I appreciate it. I’m excited lol. This month has been so busy with everything getting ready for the wedding and Christmas and such.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Thanks for sharing!! In what order did you install your new radiator and oil cooler?

Was it radiator then oil cooler?

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
Thank you. I appreciate it. I’m excited lol. This month has been so busy with everything getting ready for the wedding and Christmas and such.
Wtf? You're getting married? Oh wow.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Thanks for sharing!! In what order did you install your new radiator and oil cooler?

Was it radiator then oil cooler?
Yes. I did it that way to keep the lines of the oil cooler out of the way also to prevent damage to the oil cooler and give me maximum room.
Wtf? You're getting married? Oh wow.
Yea it’s been in the works for a while now lol. I’m very excited about it.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Well guys sorry for the no updates but I have good/bad news however you want to look at it. My head cracked at the exhaust manifold. So now I have torn the motor+trans out to get it completely torn down so I can inspect everything. The motor has unknown mileage so instead of just swapping the head I’m going to build the ST finally. I’m getting a g25-660 turbo and going to try and see todo a 2.4 build. 2.3 stroke and .1 bore. Hoping for around 600+ but will be built for more. Stage 3 cams and a 8,000 rpm redline. I will have pictures and a detailed List descriptions on how to remove and dissemble the block.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
How many miles on the engine when the head cracked?

201 - 220 of 254 Posts