Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used the search function didnt come up with any relivant CAI info so im going to ask again sorry if its a bump from else where...

Anyway whats everyones experince with brands and such with CAI...

so far ive seen:
Roush
Cobb
montune
Injen
FRPP
K&N

I will be coupling this install with a boomba BOV...since from the sound of it my stock unit isnt doing as well as it should...as it gives me a shuttering dump VS a more solid constant dump like i hear on newer cars.

·
Administrator
12,952 Posts
Used the search function didnt come up with any relivant CAI info so im going to ask again sorry if its a bump from else where...

Anyway whats everyones experince with brands and such with CAI...

so far ive seen:
Roush
Cobb
montune
Injen
FRPP
K&N

I will be coupling this install with a boomba BOV...since from the sound of it my stock unit isnt doing as well as it should...as it gives me a shuttering dump VS a more solid constant dump like i hear on newer cars.
That shutter dump is usually attributed to the factory BPV solenoid which most of us bypass and pull straight vacuum from the intake manifold via a symposer delete port.

The factory solenoid creates all kinds of flutter and false pops, it get annoying. Symposer delete with port, then run a vacuum hose back to the BOV. MUch firmer pops, less half ass pops, full efficiency without turbo damage.

You really need to come out to a meet. Lol. You have questions, we have answers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That shutter dump is usually attributed to the factory BPV solenoid which most of us bypass and pull straight vacuum from the intake manifold via a symposer delete port.

The factory solenoid creates all kinds of flutter and false pops, it get annoying. Symposer delete with port, then run a vacuum hose back to the BOV. MUch firmer pops, less half ass pops, full efficiency without turbo damage.

You really need to come out to a meet. Lol. You have questions, we have answers.
@Duece yeah your right...im almost thinking that I want to make sure I have a car thats running 100% the way it should before i start to mod it...So far it feels good...sometimes i feel like its not boosting right as i dont get the same pull feeling every time.

If anyone wants to meet up at the Pour house in Exton one nite that would be great id love to sit down have a beer and talk ST :) PM me or let me know!

·
Administrator
12,952 Posts
@Duece yeah your right...im almost thinking that I want to make sure I have a car thats running 100% the way it should before i start to mod it...So far it feels good...sometimes i feel like its not boosting right as i dont get the same pull feeling every time.

If anyone wants to meet up at the Pour house in Exton one nite that would be great id love to sit down have a beer and talk ST :) PM me or let me know!
I'll hit you up, maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll hit you up, maybe this weekend.
@Duece That would be cool, Ill see if one of these days this week i can catch the guy who lives in my complex Id like to see what he has done, if anything...looks like a st1 maybe no recardo seats. but i think if we can wrangle up at least 4 people interested that would be ideal.

Also Im a bit older 34, i don't discriminate with younger people, but I find personally I just click better with people closer to my age, but im open as long as they are mature...lol just honestly don't really care for the younger immature crowd. I do however give EVERYONE a first chance :) since I know age wont always mean immature!

·
Registered
163 Posts
@Duece That would be cool, Ill see if one of these days this week i can catch the guy who lives in my complex Id like to see what he has done, if anything...looks like a st1 maybe no recardo seats. but i think if we can wrangle up at least 4 people interested that would be ideal.

Also Im a bit older 34, i don't discriminate with younger people, but I find personally I just click better with people closer to my age, but im open as long as they are mature...lol just honestly don't really care for the younger immature crowd. I do however give EVERYONE a first chance :) since I know age wont always mean immature!

I totally feel you on that one! I'm 30, but I have some friends that are 19-20 that don't act like asshats.

As for advice on the intake/bov thing....I personally like the sound of a BPV vs a BOV, as (again I'm 30) and I'm not trying to attract TOO much attention to myself. With an aftermarket intake with some sort of open filter or open top airbox, you get a lot more of the sound which I like a lot. I went with the rousch intake because I like that it uses the stock airbox but with a modified open cover, and connects to the factory air inlet behind the bumper. My only gripe with this intake is that it doesnt replace the ugly worm coupler that connects the airbox to the intake tube. Overall I've been very pleased with it though. It sounds great and I got a great deal on it from CJponyparts during their black friday sale.

As far as the bypassed stock bpv solenoid, I'm going to have to do this mod because it drives me crazy when it vents during partial throttle and all that crap. Very interested in that mod now. I have a symposer delete kit without a vac port, but I can easily drill/tap it for one myself. Thanks for that tip deuce!

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you just want sound get an after market filter like the green filter. If you want more sound take the lid off the oem box. You won't gain any power either way so if you don't care about the looks of the stock system then there really is no need to go for a full CAI kit.

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
If you just want sound get an after market filter like the green filter. If you want more sound take the lid off the oem box. You won't gain any power either way so if you don't care about the looks of the stock system then there really is no need to go for a full CAI kit.
You won't gain top end but you will gain low end and midrange. Most people just look at the top end number and see no gain. Low end and midrange is just as important. I do not recommend running without a lid unless you have a box that deals against the hood.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You won't gain top end but you will gain low end and midrange. Most people just look at the top end number and see no gain. Low end and midrange is just as important. I do not recommend running without a lid unless you have a box that deals against the hood.

Sorry, I do not believe that to be true. I ran both aftermarket and stock filter on my bigger turbo and there were no changes in any datalogs between the two. Regrettably I only had the car on the dyno with the green filter on, but if there truly was a difference I believe I would of seen something within the logs to tell me that. Considering I was flowing much more air than a stock turbo I do not see how you are picking up power on the low end. Furthermore I guess I am just not seeing how that is possible given that the airflow at low rpm is much less than airflow at higher rpm.

Running with the lid open is also quite debated, the general consensus has been that idle temps will raise but will go back down to normal once moving. This is not something I have done but there are people on the forums doing it without harm.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Look up AF Dynamic. I've had mine for 3 months and its still 100% awesome. TBH looks like a generic Injen brand. I however swapped the heat shield for the oem air box (had to open it up on the side for the tube but fit like a charm.

·
Administrator
12,952 Posts
I wouldn't run any valve in the stock location off the intake manifold. It tends to hold the valve open at idle which adds turbo lag.

Really? We were running a Boomba off mani vac, never had any issues. It was on "The Deserter's" ST, a name that we shall not mention... lol

·
Administrator
12,952 Posts

Lol, I'm not in my 20's either.

So far pretty much everyone I have met, in any kind of meet, that has been organized off of here has been great. So no worries. We talk shop, not stance nation. Lol

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
Really? We were running a Boomba off mani vac, never had any issues. It was on "The Deserter's" ST, a name that we shall not mention... lol
Just what I've noticed with testing. If the valve isn't closed you have to wait for the boost pressure to pull up and close the valve. It adds lag. It was noticeable in the feel of the responsiveness during my tests.

·
Administrator
12,952 Posts
Just what I've noticed with testing. If the valve isn't closed you have to wait for the boost pressure to pull up and close the valve. It adds lag. It was noticeable in the feel of the responsiveness during my tests.

Huh, thats weird. How much of a difference? What BPV/BOV were you testing?

Where did you pull vacuum from?

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
Huh, thats weird. How much of a difference? What BPV/BOV were you testing?

Where did you pull vacuum from?
I did testing mainly with my TiAL pulling vacuum from the manifold. And did some testing with oem. Remember the spring is meant to hold the valve shut at vacuum. The springs design to use the oem source are very light and won't hold the valve shut. The oem source only applies vacuum to vent the valve when running aline from the manifold applies vacuum whenever your not in boost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts