Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a position in Upland & found an apartment in Ontario this past weekend. I'm used to some CA traffic - I worked in San Diego the past three years & used my Mustang GT convertible & kept the ST back in Kansas City. The Mustang will be gone & this time I'm going to either use the ST or a '07 GX470 w/ 130k miles. The GX is in good shape and has BFG K02's - so it's ready for a while. I can only take one or the other. The one I don't take will stay in KC - and with a new job I won't be buying anything new/used for a while.

Long story short - this past weekend I was in Thousand Oaks for another interview (didn't take this job) but drove down to SD Sunday so obviously I went through the LA area to and from. I don't need to describe it to the folks to live there.

So quick question to those to drive the stop/start traffic - are there times you wish you had an automatic? The GX is big & heavy, can off-road, can tow, haul stuff, etc. The ST is much more fun to drive, low miles (5k), and is still under warranty. I'm really torn on which one to take. BTW - the apartment I'm renting has a nice size garage - enough room for some tools & my detailing supplies. Plus I'm not young - 55 in a few months but still in fair shape.

I was a member of the SD Mustang Club and volunteered for parades, so if I bring the ST I'll look forward to meeting other ST owners...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I live in the Upland/Ontario area! Driving from Ontario to Upland is a breeze. But if you are going to hit the freeways during rush hour to go to LA or OC the stick could get old fast. I actually commute east to the Cucamonga area, so I beat the traffic that way. Give me more info and I can help more.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the Upland/Ontario area! Driving from Ontario to Upland is a breeze. But if you are going to hit the freeways during rush hour to go to LA or OC the stick could get old fast. I actually commute east to the Cucamonga area, so I beat the traffic that way. Give me more info and I can help more.
Thanks for the feedback.

I leased an apartment at Camden Landmark in Ontario. The drive to the office is only about 9 miles so the daily stuff shouldn't be bad at all - it's the weekends and nights. I've been stuck on I-5 between LA/San Diego a few times. San Clemente can bottleneck. It can be one of those days you better have used the restroom before heading out - one time I barely made it to the rest stop near Camp Pendleton!

I haven't driven the ST much lately - I think I'm going to grab her and hit some KC heavy traffic at rush hour & test it out. My heart really wants the ST but my brain is telling me that GX470 would be a much more common sense ride, even with the 15-18mpg. Wish I could take both but that's not an option at this point.

BTW - If I take the ST, do you think I'd any problems with the Roush open CAI when it comes to smog? I can throw the OEM bak on if needed. TIA!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I live in orange county, but often commute to Torrance & Burbank for work (commercial real estate) and if i am in bumper to bumper traffic it sucks. I am only ever in REALLY bad traffic about 20% of the time so I don't mind the stick too much.

As for the CAI...see if it is CA CARB approved. If not, then just throw the stock intake back on before smog time as you mentioned.

Reactions: DkpST

·
Registered
251 Posts
Driving a stick in traffic is a matter of preference. Personally, if I have to go into the OC area and get caught in traffic coming home, I'll drive College State Ave to Carbon Canyon to Grand or Valley and then east to home and stay off the freeway the whole time. It takes the same amount of time, but stop lights are less annoying than miles of traffic creep and stop on the hwy.

I'll second the remark on CA CARB.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I commute on the 405 and 101 daily. stop and go sucks with a manual. I wouldnt mind getting an auto just for commuting purposes eventually. I can only imagine the shortened life span of the st clutch doing 5-9 mph stop and go traffic for 1.2 hours one way every day. lol

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up deciding to keep the ST in Kansas City. Going to miss it since it'll be going stage 3 the same day I leave for Upland on the 18th. Taking the GX out there since it will haul more & I don't care if it gets scratched up a little. At some point I'll have a practically new ST when I get back.

Appreciate the comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts