Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Y'all,

I live in the midwest where we get snow from December till late February, and I am looking at purchasing new tires for my ST. I am trying to decide between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, and the Pirelli P Zero A/S. Is there anyone out there that has either tire? If so, what are the pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Michelin Pilots, you can’t go wrong. They wear a little fast so I ended up going with summer tires this year but they are awesome tires. The ST sucks in the snow just because of how much torque it has but those tires do help.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I ran the oem PZero a/s for a winter and they were manageable for cold weather & up to maybe 1/2" of snow. I now run dedicated winter tires, either SottoZero 2 or Alpin PA4.

I would recommend getting a spare set of winter performance wheels if you can budget it and run them from nov/dec to feb or for the months under 50 degrees.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 may be better than the PZero's,you would have to check online reviews as i can only speak for the PZero's since I have used them during a couple winter months. I did have one very close call on a slide with light snow which is why i said screw it and bought the dedicated winter wheel set.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Hi, Y'all,

I live in the midwest where we get snow from December till late February, and I am looking at purchasing new tires for my ST. I am trying to decide between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, and the Pirelli P Zero A/S. Is there anyone out there that has either tire? If so, what are the pros and cons of each?
If you can afford to, buy a set of 17" steelies and some actual winter tires; the spare tire is a good size for this (I forget what size it is). All seasons just won't get the job done in more than just a light dusting of snow.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I agree with others, All Seasons are essentially No Seasons as they are not performance tires and they are not snow tires. And if you drive all summer on All Seasons, you really don't know what you're missing vs. a good performance tire.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I’ve had both and the Pirellis were not very good, the Michelin AS3+ are fantastic, great in the cold and outperform some summer tires, but snow is going to be another story. And there is still a noticeable increase in traction when I switch to summer tires.

I use the AS3+ for my winter tire because we don’t get that much snow, but might have a lot of temp fluctuations in Fall and Spring. When we do get snow I drive my beater, so just to reinforce what’s been said, if you’re gonna drive the ST in snow, you’re best off with snow tires.

I also recommend getting a winter set on your stock wheels, and a summer set on a nice aftermarket wheel if your choice.

·
Banned
885 Posts
I have Pirelli P-Zero A/S 235/40R18’s & I’m very happy with them + they were much cheaper vs. the Michelin’s. You might want to look at the Continental Extreme Contacts as well & it’s a good looking tire.

Here’s a pic of mine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Sorry I was being polite when I said the Pirellis weren’t very good. In case OP doesn’t already know, PokerRun doesn’t drive an ST (yet). Pirelli sucks, get some big boy tires.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Sorry I was being polite when I said the Pirellis weren’t very good. In case OP doesn’t already know, PokerRun doesn’t drive an ST (yet). Pirelli sucks, get some big boy tires.

Pirelli’s don’t suck... UNREAL

it’s a very good A/S tire & I have the ST 18” wheel & tire pkg. on my Focus Titanium. My point was this: There are other tires out there besides Michelin’s. I have no complaints with my Pirelli’s in the 2+yrs I’ve owned them.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Pirelli’s don’t suck... UNREAL

it’s a very good A/S tire & I have the ST 18” wheel & tire pkg. on my Focus Titanium. My point was this: There are other tires out there besides Michelin’s. I have no complaints with my Pirelli’s in the 2+yrs I’ve owned them.

Respectfully, your Titanium does not have the torque or suspension that an ST has, so I believe you if you say you have no complaints.

I have had Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Continental, Vredestein, Yokohama - all great tires and all I would prefer over a Pirelli.

It’s cool if you keep hanging out here but, respectfully, I don’t think you should be giving advice to an ST owner. My clarification was for the OP.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,934 Posts
Regarding all season performance, i recently installed a set of BFG Gforce comp 2 all season tires. They have stiff sidewalls and are a very responsive tire, they handle cornering and acceleration very well in wet and dry. Unfortunately i dont have any snow experience with them yet, but i usually only catch the first snow of the season before swapping to my dedicated snow tires (michelin x-ice). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have the P-Zeros and I'm too cheep to change them till I've gone though them. For day to day driving, they are perfectly fine, in light snow, they are perfectly fine. They provide very little traction in slush or the night after a snow and freeze. My area we do not get snow like that but once every 10 years or so.

Their dry performance is adequate at best. They have an almost unpredictable adhesion limit when driven sportly, they have never been confidence inspiring. I plan to replace them with the Conti DWS 06 once I get them down to the wear bar.

If you are buying tires, do not get the P-Zeros, but if you are being given them, they will suffice if you wish to save money.

In terms of normal sane driving, the P-Zeros provide ample traction, wet grip is as to be expected in a A/S tire, they are quite hydroplane resistant, are very quiet, wear evenly, and have a decent service life (30k driven miles on mine thus far, still at 6/32nd tread). They have the feel of a low-rolling resistance tire, and give me a consistent 30mpg return with my commute, the Summer Eagle F1 Assy3 consistently returned 28mpg (10k miles driven).

I have two sets of wheels, and will be consolidating to one set once I properly exhaust the P-Zeros.

While not in a 235/40/18 size, I do have a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S on one of my SVT Contours (205/55/16) I have even done Auto-X on that set of tires, they have a very predictable grip pattern, forgiving and correctable slip rate. Run through torrential rain with no worry, and provide much better snow and sleet traction then the P-Zero do in my experience. Now these are two very different cars, and sizes however. I also know that the Eagle Sport A/S is a rather old design now, which is why I want to try out the DWS 06 next time I buy a set of A/S tires.

I hope this has been helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Echoing those who suggest a set of real snow tires (I'm Canadian, so "all season" really means "three season" here), I have had excellent performance from Michelin X-Ice tires on two different FWD cars, the ST included. Even my first car, a Neon was a snow plow with those things on it.

And if you're weighing the advantages of snow tires VS all seasons, remember that a second set of tires reduces wear and extends the life of both sets.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi, Y'all,

I know this isn't necessarily what you asked, but I went down this road and it's not ideal.
What I ended up doing is buying a set of wheels for winter and a set of Blizzaks, swap them when weather changes. Then I use a set of good summer tires on the others. My choice was Hankook Ventus, but I also don't race my cars or anything. Swapping summer and winter like this, your tires will last quite a long time because they are running in their temperature range. I cannot over-sell the Blizzaks either, they are awesome winter tires, but you have to get them off of there when the temps hit 50 or they won't be long for this world... they are very soft

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dumped my Mich Pilot A/S & got the BFG Comp 2 A/S. much better handling in both dry & wet, don't hydroplane nearly as much. Cost about 20-25 a piece less also.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I run X-ice on the other (non performance) car in the winter, no issues with those tires either.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,934 Posts
Dumped my Mich Pilot A/S & got the BFG Comp 2 A/S. much better handling in both dry & wet, don't hydroplane nearly as much. Cost about 20-25 a piece less also.
I just installed these as well. Very happy with them overall.

Reactions: dan's st
1 - 17 of 17 Posts