Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, the short of it is once warmed up car smokes out of exhaust during idle/decel. The car has burned almost 1 quart of oil in the last 1,000miles!
Okay now the full story. So mid May i installed an efr 6758 on the car. The car was running great and due to the recent install i was checking fluids daily and neither coolant or oil moved at all for maybe the first 500-700miles. One day on a warm sunny day i had gotten stuck at a railroad crossing, and when i took off i glanced up in the rearview to see an alraming amount of smoke in my trail. Since that day for about two months ive found the smoking to be most prevalent at idle/decel and sometimes a steady cruise. And only once the oil is up to temp.
WHAT IVE TRIED. First I tried switching from a 5w-30 to a 5w-40 to see if it masked the issue. Then Cfm oil cap breather. Then a damond pcv side occ. then i replaced the oil drain with some -10 fittngs and hose. The car has 155psi in all 4 cylinders (don't think this matters but i checked) pulled intake, charge pipes and downpipe and cant find any signs of oil anywhere! Removed plugs and they do not look to be burning oil, which makes me think its a problem with the turbo or turbo drain. Also the car has -11ish psi at idle. The car did not smoke or consume oil for the first 3 weeks or so of turbo install and never did on the stock turbo. Im loosing my mind with this and i feel like it will be a pain to get help through mountune or bw witht the issue. Any insight would be highly appreciated and i can perform any test or take more pics/vids upon request.
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0751.PNG
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG
IMG_0792.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG
And here is a link to the smoking video, sorry for the poor quality

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Before you go replacing the turbo, I'd do the follow two things:

Your turbo drain hose is kinked in the picture. Restrictions like that can cause oil to back up into the turbo.

I'd also check to see if your PCV is closing completely under boost. If not, then the crankcase gets pressurized under boost and guess where all the oil then goes!

The PCV plate with valve is ~$40.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! I did replace the pcv valve i just removed it from the plate and put it into mine. I also just fixed that oil drain right after ip posted this i mad it about a 1/4 inch shorter so it no longer has the kink. Ill see if when i drive it today if it helped at all.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so after going back and forth with a rep from borg warner they recommend me trying an additional restrictor for the oil feed line. I ending up using a few fittings from summit insted of the one they recommend to me due to the shipping cost. But i did this about two weeks ago and the smoke is gone! It makes me a little nervous haveing two restrictors but I guess if she fails ill just have to go bigger lol. Thanks for the input guys. IMG_0988.PNG IMG_0989.PNG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hate to revive a old post but I am having the same issue. A few weeks after my turbo install I am having smoke on decel. I am currently using a hard line for the oil drain so I don’t know if that is the issue. But you are saying be told you to add a restricter to the oil feed line to fix your problem?? Everything seems to be working fine otherwise.

I just noticed it today on my way to work so I am not sure how much oil I am actually burning

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hate to revive a old post but I am having the same issue. A few weeks after my turbo install I am having smoke on decel. I am currently using a hard line for the oil drain so I don’t know if that is the issue. But you are saying be told you to add a restricter to the oil feed line to fix your problem?? Everything seems to be working fine otherwise.

I just noticed it today on my way to work so I am not sure how much oil I am actually burning
Try at your own risk repeat Try at your own risk !!!!

With that being said , I was also having this issue with my EFR 6258. After pulls to around 7k rpm, I would get blueish/white smoke and smell burning oil. Then after a pull and stopping, I would get smoke once I started to move again.

For the longest I thought it was the oil drain seal. So I replaced it with OEM seals.

Then I noticed the oil was coming from above the oil drain, I looked at the feed and didn't see any leaks.

Tried to change everything to 10AN oil drain, that failed (The placement of the turbo is weird and the drain wouldn't fit for me)

So, I ran into this post. I ordered these two parts from Amazon.

Vibrant 10289 1/8 NPT Oil Restrictor Fitting
FS 1/8 NPT coolant temperature sensor adapter 551159

I installed it on the engine side of the oil feed to the turbo with no Jets installed into the restrictor (.060 opening with no jets).

Bam, no more smoke. Time will tell if this will make the problem stay away or destroy the turbo. Knock on some wood.

I've driven about 75 miles with alot of pulls to redline to try and recreate the smoking. And I haven't seen it

·
Registered
5 Posts
So others don't make the same mistake I have... twice. Make sure you order the 10289 (not the 10288!!!!). I just wasted $50 ordering the wrong part twice and stripping things out. The 10289 is a -4 AN fitting which is the correct size. The 10288 will get you a -3 AN which is certainly not the right size.... I'm so sick of smelling oil- I'm freaking out LOL!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts