Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, now that my cobalt is no longer a daily driver, it's time to make some power. Currently it has 3" catless downpipe, 3" stainless catback, k&n intake, charge pipes, and a tune. Recently ordered and future (within the next month or so) orders are bigger front mount, stage 2 cam and bigger fuel pump, lash adjusters, valve springs and retainers, south bend stage 4+ clutch, new flywheel, and a Borg Warner 7163 turbo. I'll be keeping a somewhat mild 93 tune on it so I don't have to deal with e85 mixes. After it's all said and done I'll be keeping it around 420-450 hopefully for longevity. Besides, as most of you know FWD isn't the most capable platform. It'll be heading to ZZPerformance in Michigan for all the dyno tuning in either late April or early May, basically whenever the weather is suitable.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I miss my cobalt....:crying:

KN Intake
Injen Charge Pipes
Catless DP
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
Southbend Stage 4+ clutch
HP Tuned by Bluecat in Ashland KY.

His dyno showed me at 310whp/366wtq. however its said his reads about 12% less than others. That car sure was a blast, i was an idiot and got rid of it for a nissan sentra. But I fell asleep and totalled the sentra, so now i have the ST lol.

247955_507591738132_6258555_n.jpg
315909_509665192912_166563256_n.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice car man. I'm glad I decided to keep the cobalt and just wait a little longer for the ST. Those cars with minimal mods put down such good numbers for what they are. Granted, for a daily the ST is much more pleasing to drive. Interior and everything isn't even comparable lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks man, and yea the ST has way better interior. Mine was having trans issues from where i kept getting screwed by GM (long story). They basically voided all my warranty by looking at it and seeing the SS badges. No kidding, they would look at it and be like ah that's an SS it was abused we are not covering it. Even had GM corporate on the phone and they wouldn't give me anything in writing on why they wouldn't cover it. So i said screw it and started modding. But the fiance at the time hated it cause it would backfire all the time and I was always sinking money into it. Now shes with another dude and so is my SS fml...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man, and yea the ST has way better interior. Mine was having trans issues from where i kept getting screwed by GM (long story). They basically voided all my warranty by looking at it and seeing the SS badges. No kidding, they would look at it and be like ah that's an SS it was abused we are not covering it. Even had GM corporate on the phone and they wouldn't give me anything in writing on why they wouldn't cover it. So i said screw it and started modding. But the fiance at the time hated it cause it would backfire all the time and I was always sinking money into it. Now shes with another dude and so is my SS fml...
Jesus man I'm sorry to hear that. Crazy that gm wouldn't cover anything. I've heard horror stories about some dealerships. Thankfully I've never had to have anything done besides a few recalls and a sensor that went out.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
my cousin was making 395 to the wheels with his cobalt, but his tranny wasnt able to take the power, and blew up. from what he said the tranny is just not good being able to handle that much more power. i have no idea if that rings true or not, or he just beat the piss out of it.I am sure any stock tranny wont handle that much more power over stock after a certain amount of time. he had a stage 2 clutch as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my cousin was making 395 to the wheels with his cobalt, but his tranny wasnt able to take the power, and blew up. from what he said the tranny is just not good being able to handle that much more power. i have no idea if that rings true or not, or he just beat the piss out of it.I am sure any stock tranny wont handle that much more power over stock after a certain amount of time. he had a stage 2 clutch as well.
mostly it depends on the tune. 3rd gear is known to go after that much power. A lot of people, including myself once the bigger turbo is on, tune for a boost ramp in 1st-3rd since even the bigger turbos spool so fast all the torque hits at once. Basically it's more of when it will go, but I'm planning ahead for that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
mostly it depends on the tune. 3rd gear is known to go after that much power. A lot of people, including myself once the bigger turbo is on, tune for a boost ramp in 1st-3rd since even the bigger turbos spool so fast all the torque hits at once. Basically it's more of when it will go, but I'm planning ahead for that.
Exactly, 3rd is the issue. Alot of people i knew would crack the case pulling hard in 3rd.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jesus man I'm sorry to hear that. Crazy that gm wouldn't cover anything. I've heard horror stories about some dealerships. Thankfully I've never had to have anything done besides a few recalls and a sensor that went out.
Needless to say this is why I now have a Ford. The dealer in my old town use to be awesome, then the owner passed away and it was sold and moved. I tried other dealers and the 2 that were within 45mins both wouldn't do anything with it. The Fuel purge valve went out and they tried to void my entire warranty due to the KN Intake. However I did try to find another SS before I bought the ST but couldn't find one fast enough that wasn't beat to sh*t.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Needless to say this is why I now have a Ford. The dealer in my old town use to be awesome, then the owner passed away and it was sold and moved. I tried other dealers and the 2 that were within 45mins both wouldn't do anything with it. The Fuel purge valve went out and they tried to void my entire warranty due to the KN Intake. However I did try to find another SS before I bought the ST but couldn't find one fast enough that wasn't beat to sh*t.
I just saw a cobalt for sale the other day for $11,xxx and the dealer had no idea what was done to it. Looked like an EFR cobalt by the intake.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nice car op, those things really can fly with the right tweaks. When my wife bought a new car I kept her 07 ls coupe and threw a zzp s/c kit on the l61. Little pup put down 220 whp. Fun little thing.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice car op, those things really can fly with the right tweaks. When my wife bought a new car I kept her 07 ls coupe and threw a zzp s/c kit on the l61. Little pup put down 220 whp. Fun little thing. Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
thanks. Yeah they're definitely fun to drive for what they are. Cheap power is always fun. I'm hoping doing all of this will cool my mod bug for a while at least. Thinking about saving a little up and trading or selling the ST in a few years for an RS once they're more readily available and we actually see what they're selling for. I've always wanted AWD and test drove a 15 sti before I bought the ST and it just didn't impress me for the cost.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ordered cams, lash adjusters, fuel pump upgrade, valve springs and retainers, south bend stage 4+ clutch, new flywheel and gms1 sensors today. Now just the EFR 7163 is left which will be next month. Getting excited!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts