Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have access to any number of non destructive testing methods including the method I am certified in, eddy current. I bring this up because I have been wondering about the build quality of Chinese made intercoolers. After alot of searching and reading I have determined that there is alot unsubstantiated claims about these cores being complete junk. While I cannot speak for any other Chinese built cores the one I received has shown to have been built with great quality and some nice attention to detail. Having been in the NDE field in the largest industrial area for 6 years I have seen every thing from guerrilla welds to beads that look like a machine laid them with zero undercut and zero porosity.

I know what some of you might be thinking: You aren't a welder what could you possibly know about welding? And you are right, I am not a welder and I couldn't point out a TIG machine to save my life, but when a theory/physics/chemistry based inspection finds defects in a casting, weld, or other man made object, objections from fabricator are almost expected as you can imagine.

All of these tests are preformed following procedures set by ASME Section V and our precedures written by our Level III's. The x-ray and UT tests are calibrated using calibration standards with known defects.

AFAIK this is the only NDE analysis of an intercooler core, ever. I have no standard by which to measure these results so I cannot speak for these results when compared to a Cobb or Mountune(ect.) FMIC.

The material was verified using a PMI gun. The technician sampled the end tanks and the air passages. The tanks contained a high amount silicon which indicated a polishing compound was used, due to this we had to grind down past the surface to expose uncontaminated material. The results are displayed below. The core is AA356 and the tanks are AA3003

After the PMI, we did a liquid penetrant test to look for surface breaking defects in the weld. We found porosity in the heat affected zone on the back of the left tank(logo facing away from you) These defects in no way affect the integrity of the tank and is common of welds in this area.

To find out what the thickness of the end tanks is I had a tech preform an ultrasonic test(thickness) using an aluminum calibration standard. The tanks measured ~.130 wall

Finally we get to the meat of the inspection! This part will require you to download the RAR file and extract it, preferably a thumbdrive. To explore the weld you will need to run the autorun file and the image will pop up on a lite version of my company's digital radiography program called Acuview. Play with the program to get the best viewing result.

The xray showed lack of penetration/fusion based on the tech's analysis. It was noted that the weld was likely not intended to be a penetration type. There are no defects detected in this shot.

Download Acuview - Godspeed Intercooler.rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a Godspeed intercooler on my SRT-4 and It did its purpose. Before and after dyno's showed HP and intake temp improvements.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is this the one your putting on your ride? I take it type L is the biggest for our cars? Any modifications required to make it fit?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
All hail st3 4 me! Lol good work man!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Vendor
2,530 Posts
I'm glad to see someone take the time to do this kind of testing. Chinese parts have improved in quality quite a bit over the years. However, quality isn't everything when dealing with aftermarket or OE parts. Design plays a big part as well in how well an intercooler will perform. I would love to see some flow testing done as well as some logs ranging from OE to Godspeed to Cobb to CPE. I have no doubt its a quality built intercooler but it would be nice to see how it stacks up in performance too.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All hail st3 4 me! Lol good work man!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Please stop, stop.....no, keep going LOL

Straight up good stuff man. 30 seconds of reading just saved me a bunch of moolah

tappin
Dont jump the gun too quick there. As Edge points out this only proves build quality. whether or not it is as effective for cooling charge air has yet to be determined

Very nicely done! Thanks for posting!
No problem. I view most of what I have done to my car as a yard stick by which others can measure their builds.

Two things.

1) Pretty work.
2) Sticky.

Regards,
Jim
1)Seemed cute when I did it LOL
2)done

I'm glad to see someone take the time to do this kind of testing. Chinese parts have improved in quality quite a bit over the years. However, quality isn't everything when dealing with aftermarket or OE parts. Design plays a big part as well in how well an intercooler will perform. I would love to see some flow testing done as well as some logs ranging from OE to Godspeed to Cobb to CPE. I have no doubt its a quality built intercooler but it would be nice to see how it stacks up in performance too.
Agreed and the only way we will ever know if others will stand up to this level of scrutiny is if I can get my hands on other brands. I see you have an open box Forge, EHEM :wink:

I will have datalogs available once i get my turbo back from Torrie, getting another upgrade on the compressor side.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Good job ST3! I always enjoy your enthusiasm and such a great support for further knowledge. We need more peoples like you on this forum. Good job!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THANK YOU! I've been waiting on this thread from ya!
No problem, just thought I would give this community something unique. We have bragging rights now I suppose :wink:

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
OMG. I just saw this. I hope you did not do this cause of my "beware of crappy Ebay Inter Coolers" :lol::lol: Anyway good job. I am voting for you as the member of the month. You sure are an interesting fellow. :fordsmilie:

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG. I just saw this. I hope you did not do this cause of my "beware of crappy Ebay Inter Coolers" :lol::lol: Anyway good job. I am voting for you as the member of the month. You sure are an interesting fellow. :fordsmilie:
This was done long before that. In my reply to the comment you are referring to I link this post.

I do what I can to help out around here :wink:

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
This was done long before that. In my reply to the comment you are referring to I link this post.

I do what I can to help out around here :wink:
Ok just checkin. Who are the nominees for member of month? You and me? :cool: You have my vote.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok just checkin. Who are the nominees for member of month? You and me? :cool: You have my vote.
Clearly I am the best looking out of the two so I would win no matter what

1 - 20 of 65 Posts