Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST 152k all stock
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from driving from work and checked under the hood to check my coolant level but saw something disturbing. My coolant was bubbling. Was watching my temp and it never went above 195-196.
I just bought the car last week with 152k. Has to have the fuel tank deformation recall done and has codes. I filled the coolant tank because it was below the minimum line on Sunday and it’s still at full as it today. I hope it’s not what I think….. any ideas?
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I def will get that done. I don’t know what else it can be though.

·
Registered
2016 ST2
300 Posts
Are they fine little bubbles from the degas line? The small line? If so it can just be cavitation. But if you’re talking with it sitting and just bubbling that’s not good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just stopped my drive to pop the hood and yes it looked like it was coming from the degas line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possibly relevant thread: CEL is on, for P144C
Thank you. I have an appt at the dealer to get the recall done for this. I doubt it’s related to the bubbles in the coolant. Can it have an effect? Car has not overheated and bubbles were coming up from the degas line. Also the cap may be cross threaded or the wrong cap? All things I need to check.

·
Registered
2016 ST2
300 Posts
I lost my mind thinking my head gasket was blown a few months ago after I lost a little coolant and noticed the small bubbles in degas line. Did pressure test and couldn’t find small leak, but after a new radiator cap and top off I’ve not lost a drop in 3k miles. Cheap easy thing to throw at it. Can be pulling air in that creates the cavitation effect. I googled lots of other ecoboost platform forums and checked coworkers cars and some small amount of cavitation seemed to be present on them when it had the small degas return where it hits the baffle to divert the flow when it enters the bottle.

could be your head gasket. But maybe it’s not. You can do the combustion gas checker to know for sure. Good luck!

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took a photo and small video of where the small bubbles are coming from It’s from the top hose I just started the car after letting it sit since 6pm instantly little bubbles again I will try a new cap and then a tester Thank you for all the info Any more is always appreciated and will update
Helmet Automotive lighting Vision care Eyewear Headgear

·
Registered
2016 ST2
300 Posts

Reactions: Jdro

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for this. I’m still going to do the exhaust gas coolant test just to be sure. But I’m a little calmer now lol.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,882 Posts
There's a steady stream of coolant that sprays out of that bypass tube when the engine is running. What I'm seeing in the video is normal.

Definitely put a new cap on it just-because. At 150k it probably doesn't hold the pressure that it used to.

Reactions: Jdro

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update** just ran the block test. No blown head gasket. Fluids stayed nice and blue. Will post my video soon. Next up. New cap for the expansion tank. But relieved on one front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts