Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the weekend cleaning my 2014 OW ST. I have these brown/orange spots in the paint around most of the lower half of the car that I am unable to buff it out. It almost looks like rust spots but they are showing up on the plastic trim pieces as well. Anyone know what they might be and or how to remove them?

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yup, it's residue from the brakes. If there's anything left after IronX, use clay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same issue with my GTI. After research I found that this happens when cars are moved by rail. What happens is the trains metal to metal contact with the rails and wheels causes hot metal dust to form in the air.
Then this hot metal dust lands on paint and embeds into the paint. Then after time it rusts and boom brown/yellow spots.

To fix it I always just used a clay bar to clean it off. Usually no issues with getting it off. It helps to keep the car waxed well for protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys! I tried clay bar-ing it this weekend but it did not have an effect. I will Try the Iron X.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Guys! I tried clay bar-ing it this weekend but it did not have an effect. I will Try the Iron X.
It'll work. I to have a OW and it can be very noticeable. Luckily the dealer I purchased from didn't prep the car before I received it, had a bunch of iron particles all over the car and was really noticeable. Two soaks with IronX and a clay latter nothing but pure white.

Also use gloves when handling that stuff. And be aware if smells like absolute ass. Had to keep the bottle in the other side of the house because I could smell it coming through.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had no clue what this was either until a month ago, I was like why is my car half orange?! I went to claybar it and was annoyed that it did nothing! I bought a liter of IronX to use on it this week actually. I was glad to hear this was a thing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Clay should get the large majority out if you're doing it properly. What method did you use to get the spots out before? "Buffing"?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Like others said its iron deposits, I think the coined term for it is Rail Dust. Its super annoying but as everyone already said, it comes off with a little elbow grease and the right products

1 - 9 of 9 Posts