Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first indication is when I did a downshift from 6th to 4th and heard a loud bang and the loss of power after which my check engine light came on. At 52,000 miles the dealership originally told me it was my camshaft position sensor. I was still able to drive it home but no power at all. Could still get up to 70 miles an hour but again boost was showing throttle application but no power. A week later they told me it was fixed and running fine but they couldn’t get the check engine light to go off. A couple days later they called back and said actually my camshaft was broken and they are on back order. I can’t believe the engine continue to run and I could start it the next day to drive it to the dealer with a broken camshaft. I can’t find any other threads discussing this issue. Does anyone have any feedback for me? Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
12,714 Posts
The first indication is when I did a downshift from 6th to 4th and heard a loud bang and the loss of power after which my check engine light came on. At 52,000 miles the dealership originally told me it was my camshaft position sensor. I was still able to drive it home but no power at all. Could still get up to 70 miles an hour but again boost was showing throttle application but no power. A week later they told me it was fixed and running fine but they couldn’t get the check engine light to go off. A couple days later they called back and said actually my camshaft was broken and they are on back order. I can’t believe the engine continue to run and I could start it the next day to drive it to the dealer with a broken camshaft. I can’t find any other threads discussing this issue. Does anyone have any feedback for me? Thanks everyone!
Its probably the camshaft timing ring. A press fit ring that our ecu uses to adjust timing values.

Theres one on each cam, closer to the hpfp and vac pump. Fixing it requires replacing the cam or getting real creative.

If the cam was actually broken, your motor would be wrecked.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,620 Posts
I agree with duece.

Since you mention broken cams though, i have personally seen an 06 f150 5.4 snap a camshaft in the head and continue to run. Very poorly on 4 cylinders, But run nonetheless. The cam snapped between the main bearing journal and the first cylinder of that bank. The first cam journal Has thrust bearings so the remaining front portion of the cam remained spinning with the timing components still attached.

That truck went 36,000 miles on the original oil, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts