Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Face has been palmed.
I said maybe on the coils because I don't know a lot about them, but I know spark plugs can't. Maybe that was a stupid statement?

I thought coils only had to be upgraded if spark couldn't be produced consistently when moving to higher power applications.

·
Registered
187 Posts
They certainly can if the stock plugs aren't up to snuff. Coils won't gain you any power maybe a smoother power band due to a potentially stronger spark but I am guessing this is a heat range difference that is making the impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I dont know guys...I still need more good info...Installing a GT 3071 turbo, would these be the necessary type of product i'd use for a bigger turbo?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I said maybe on the coils because I don't know a lot about them, but I know spark plugs can't. Maybe that was a stupid statement?

I thought coils only had to be upgraded if spark couldn't be produced consistently when moving to higher power applications.
You'd know wrong, my friend- all spark plugs are not created equal- different plugs have different internal windings that can increase or reduce the voltage compared to another plug. The basic way to look at it is more voltage = more spark energy across the gap. More spark energy = a more complete burn of the fuel atoms in the combustion chamber. More complete burn = more power. Oversimplified, but that's about how it works. Same way a "hotter" coil works, by your own count. Also, different materials may conduct electricity more efficiently (gold, for instance, or silver in the case of these plugs), again leading to more power potential. The gains won't be huge, but there's always potential for more- Mark W.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
spark plugs n windings?

Try again.

spark_plug.jpg

There is always risk involved with modern engine control packages when you replace resistor type plugs. You can introduce electrical noise that can interfere with other onboard system. But i'm sure Brisk tested for all those conditions.

·
Registered
411 Posts
More spark energy also means more heat and in some cases a faster burn. Which would be similar to going to a one step hotter plug. Not the same obviously. Obviously all plugs are not created equal. In the case of our car, when moving to a more aggressive tune and advancing timing we are increasing already hot cylinder temps. That's not really the goal here. That's why I'm missing the point of these plugs, if you can explain further.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
I think Hector ran off. None of our questions are being answered.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A lot of positive reviews on these over on the ecoboost f150 forums. One guy picked up like 30hp, but their plugs are known for not coming gapped correctly from the factory and needing to be re gapped often.

Are these a step coler than stock or the same? How many miles are they expected to last?
They are a step colder. Life expectancy of any spark plug is determined by different variables. Factory iridium plugs provide longer plug life at the cost of lower conductivity which in turn delivers less performance. As most of you already know, there is always going to be some sort of tradeoff.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Round #2: Question, Is there a money back guarantee on these plugs to do what you say?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Question, Is there a money back guarantee on these plugs to do what you say?
I might offer that to someone who will do proper testing with them. Keep in mind that results between vehicles will vary due to different variables. So if you're asking if I will guarantee the SAME results then the answer is no.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Subscribed. Watchign closely.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
are you willing to allow a respected member of this community to independently test your plugs for free? I do have established dyno base lines.
Hahaha he ran from that one didn't he. :lol: Proper testing is what he told me. How ya gonna do this if he comes back from the hills? When I hear AMAZING RESULTS usually that is a red flag. We did this with plugs in the Toyo world and ZERO gains came from it. Dynoed and all.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Hahaha he ran from that one didn't he. :lol: Proper testing is what he told me. How ya gonna do this if he comes back from the hills? When I hear AMAZING RESULTS usually that is a red flag. We did this with plugs in the Toyo world and ZERO gains came from it. Dynoed and all.
Sometimes the operator of the accounts are not decision makers...i.e. Boomba's account is ran by their internet guy.

Yes, definitely interested. We'll get back to this after the holidays.
sounds good, I will be here all week. :wink:

21 - 40 of 77 Posts