Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have really bright headlights? Every time I drive at night, I get people flashing their high beams at me. I even had someone slow down on the freeway, get behind me and put good high beams on and no matter what lane I got in, stayed right behind me until I believe stopped on the freeway. These are the stock ST1 halogens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have brighter led low beam replacing the halogen and I get that all the time. The light spread of the non moving, non hid cars is wider. It may be the reason.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick Google search and it seems that it's an issue across late model Ford products. The F-150 forum, Explorer forum and even the Fusion folks all set to have the same complaint.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Also, I recommend getting extremely bright reverse lights, then next time some @ss hat gets right up behind you, then you just throw the shifter all the way to the left (without going up into reverse) and hit him with some more bright lights.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Also, I recommend getting extremely bright reverse lights, then next time some @ss hat gets right up behind you, then you just throw the shifter all the way to the left (without going up into reverse) and hit him with some more bright lights.
I have some. Too awesome

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have brighter led low beam replacing the halogen and I get that all the time. The light spread of the non moving, non hid cars is wider. It may be the reason.
its not the wider beam that is the problem, its the scattering/glare above the cutoff. You are literally blinding other drivers. Can you spot which one is an LED bulb and which one is the halogen?

Nice write up from a toyota forum here: Why LEDs should not be run in Halogen reflectors

@Pooper Scooper The above doesnt apply to you. Ford most likely didnt aim your replacements at all. You could probably just adjust your headlights down a bit and fix the problem. Here is a little write up on how to aim the lights. There should be a white looking hex adjustment screw you can use to adjust up/down. Focus Headlight Adjustment

·
Registered
23 Posts
its not the wider beam that is the problem, its the scattering/glare above the cutoff. You are literally blinding other drivers. Can you spot which one is an LED bulb and which one is the halogen?

Nice write up from a toyota forum here: Why LEDs should not be run in Halogen reflectors

@Pooper Scooper The above doesnt apply to you. Ford most likely didnt aim your replacements at all. You could probably just adjust your headlights down a bit and fix the problem. Here is a little write up on how to aim the lights. There should be a white looking hex adjustment screw you can use to adjust up/down. Focus Headlight Adjustment
First I don’t drive a Toyota with the headlights as high of my roof. I had the same issue with the OEM halogen bulbs. I lowered the aim and still had the issue with the incoming vehicles. So I decided to proper align the headlight. At 25’ the distance between the bright spots on the wall should be the same as the distance between the two light bulbs. Is not, at least in my car. At 25’ they are more separated, mean they are pointed outward. The headlights has a limited adjustment, mainly up an down, they rest on the bumper and the fender. To proper align all that had to move, is not going to happen. I use LED because they are aimed low to not blind the cars in front of me and I have to compensate somehow.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a problem of the HID lights aimed to low from the factory, could barely see anything in front of me. Adjusted them a bit up and now its way better visibility and no one has flashed their lights at me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I pass an st1 on my way to work occasionally and his headlights are fine. Im another vote for proper adjustment.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I run LED high and low beams in my st1. I've never been flashed. They match the halogen beam pattern perfectly (which kind of sucks to begin with). The trick is to get an LED bulb that has a single or single row of LEDs in the same location as the halogen filament and on a board as thin as possible as to replicate the light coming from a single point as in a halogen filament.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you! I'll give this a shot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts