Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying out brembos for my st. I see some good info on installation. Does anyone have any experience or reviews for track use? I melted the stock brakes pretty bad.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There are so many reasons to over do the factory brakes and many have zero to do with not having a BBK.

E.g. Not turning off traction control, pad type, inadequate cooling, riding the brakes on decel, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pads and rotors I melted were stock. I was on a brake heavy track. Right now I have hp pads and slotted rotors on and I bought velossatech cooling ducts. I also was'nt in full track mode the whole time. Another st there melted his hp brakes. I'm trying to see if it's worth upgrading to the brembos or go a different route. I had a great time and will probably go 3 or 4 times this year.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hawk hps or hp+? Either aren’t really up to the task of track driving. I would try real track pads before going to bbk, unless you got money to burn. After a certain point of mods, tires, speed a bbk makes sense, but I would try track pads, especially if you’re still on street tires

·
Registered
483 Posts
^I agree with everyone else's advice. HPS and HP+ are not track pads. Install some DTC 60's, make sure that your traction control is completely off and don't use the brakes unless you are need to. Any riding of the brakes or early braking will heat the pads prematurely and could potentially cause brake failure on track. I personally think the stock calipers and rotors are fine on the ST for track use. Especially with mildly modded cars. Now if you have 500hp and are running 160mph on the straights it might be time for and upgrade.

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have the rs front Brembos, 600 fluid, lines, xp12 and it’s great.

I didn’t find anything wrong with the stock brakes other than it for sure is an upgrade and if you can get them done cheaply (easy to do) why not?

But for sure do actual track pads first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll try some race pads and another set of rotors and see how that works. Also, I'll put my air ducts on and take off the shield. Hopefully that do the job.
I noticed someone added some heat tape while they had there shield off?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think I'll try some race pads and another set of rotors and see how that works. Also, I'll put my air ducts on and take off the shield. Hopefully that do the job.
I noticed someone added some heat tape while they had there shield off?
That's a good plan. Use the RS ducts, they're super affordable.
I'd also recommend the "Frankenbrake," setup to address better brake bias.
And make sure to turn off COMPLETELY, the traction control. Not just a push, but hold down till it's off.

·
Registered
613 Posts
yeah. OEM style blank or stoptech will be fine. I would avoid drilled for real track use with track pads. You'll quickly get cracks between the holes if you're driving it hard.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The pads and rotors I melted were stock. I was on a brake heavy track. Right now I have hp pads and slotted rotors on and I bought velossatech cooling ducts. I also was'nt in full track mode the whole time. Another st there melted his hp brakes. I'm trying to see if it's worth upgrading to the brembos or go a different route. I had a great time and will probably go 3 or 4 times this year.
I toasted my brakes at Laguna Seca in 20mins.

I replaced the rotors by the stoptech ones (2 piece front, 1 piece rear) and upgraded the pads to Carbotech XP-12 front. Did a couple of track days with that setup and no worry whatsoever, no fading either. The only issue with the Carbotech is on the street, when they are somewhat new, they'll squeal quite insanely.

Note: I also replaced the brake lines with SS ones and the front passenger one broke a couple of months ago (had no brakes to get back to the office from lunch). Replaced those by some rubber ones, but that would be scary had it happened on track.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have found that swapping pads back and forth on the same rotor works quite well. 2 complete sets is going to be the best option..but it's up to you if it's worth the extra hassle of swapping just pads vs pads/rotors. My track car has a drum brake based parking brake in the rear and it makes it a little more of a pain to constantly swap rotors back and forth.

I would put the track pads in a few days before an event. Drive the car like normal-- during this time the aggressive track pad would scrape away or 'clean' the rotors very well and be ready for track pad bed in/use by the time the event rolled around. Driving the track pad home would generally be enough time to do the same 'cleaning' before putting the street pads back on. There's a few sites that talk about this (Stoptech FAQ for one) and it's worked well for me. There's a slight re-break in period when swapping the pads one way or another but has never been a big deal in my experience or in any way unsafe, etc.

I just swapped from Raybestos ST43 pads to EBC red and they are working great from the get go.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm thinking about trying out brembos for my st. I see some good info on installation. Does anyone have any experience or reviews for track use? I melted the stock brakes pretty bad.

Thanks
I run the RS Brembos on my ST in the front, with xp10s and the stock rears.
If you are hard on brakes, you will still need to do more work. I can't do a 20 minute session Laguna Seca before the brakes go away. So I am looking into diverting air to the rotors, and next time around will actually remove the shields as well. I do like the Brembos with the xp10s... The feel was awesome for the first 10-15 minutes...
I'm just saying that IF you are hard on brakes, the RS kit on its own may not be enough.
I wanna do the rears next... But want to get mine to last for an entire track event first.

CrashMW

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I run the RS Brembos on my ST in the front, with xp10s and the stock rears.
If you are hard on brakes, you will still need to do more work. I can't do a 20 minute session Laguna Seca before the brakes go away. So I am looking into diverting air to the rotors, and next time around will actually remove the shields as well. I do like the Brembos with the xp10s... The feel was awesome for the first 10-15 minutes...
I'm just saying that IF you are hard on brakes, the RS kit on its own may not be enough.
I wanna do the rears next... But want to get mine to last for an entire track event first.

CrashMW
The shields and lack of ducting makes all the difference

·
Registered
205 Posts
Could you please share your experience on these rotors?
They are really good rotors. Not cheap by any means ($850 for the front set IIRC) but you get what you pay for.
Initially, I used some Hawk HP+ but I didn't care for them much so I switched to CarboTech XPS-12 (CarboTech used to be called Carbone Lorraine) and I did a couple of track days with that setup and there was little fading by the end of a session. The initial bite of the CarboTech is really nice and the feel is great too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts