Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a little down the road to start shortening the shift throws, I was originally looking at short shift plates but heard that they cause a little more stress on the shift linkage and such and want to avoid that. I have narrowed it down to these 2 pieces.
I don't really mind the stock shifter height so I am okay without changing that, but im just looking for a little shorter of a throw but I am at a loss for which one of these would be better, or are they essentially the same?

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
I am looking for a little down the road to start shortening the shift throws, I was originally looking at short shift plates but heard that they cause a little more stress on the shift linkage and such and want to avoid that. I have narrowed it down to these 2 pieces.
I don't really mind the stock shifter height so I am okay without changing that, but im just looking for a little shorter of a throw but I am at a loss for which one of these would be better, or are they essentially the same?
I currently own both. I havnt ran the jbr yet, but its design and materials are superior. So id put the money on the JBR.

Reactions: reggy66

·
Registered
86 Posts
20170107_112203.jpg
Absolutely love my jbr. Never used the breedt, so I can't compare. Shipping was fast and build quality is top notch.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently own both. I havnt ran the jbr yet, but its design and materials are superior. So id put the money on the JBR.
With the breedt, does it make the throws harder? Or does it really just feel the same?

View attachment 206313
Absolutely love my jbr. Never used the breedt, so I can't compare. Shipping was fast and build quality is top notch.
So far it sounds like JBR is going to be unanimous haha

·
Registered
137 Posts
With the breedt, does it make the throws harder? Or does it really just feel the same?

I've got the breedt shift arm set at 40% reduction and I'd say it's perfect. The throws are a little harder but still easy to shift during casual driving.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I've got the breedt shift arm set at 40% reduction and I'd say it's perfect. The throws are a little harder but still easy to shift during casual driving.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
Haha well now this is making it more difficult :p
For you guys with the JBR arm do the weights actually help? Or is it tougher to shift as well?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the jbr and I can say with the weights it really does help with the shifting. It barely takes anymore effort to shift than stock, I also bought the jbr weighted shift knob and now it's even easier than stock. Btw I have it on 40% reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think Breedt was second to market this product behind the Cobb shift. I bought the Breedt quickshift three years ago as one of my first mods. I have it set at 40% and love it. Easy to install and looks good.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
I think Breedt was second to market this product behind the Cobb shift. I bought the Breedt quickshift three years ago as one of my first mods. I have it set at 40% and love it. Easy to install and looks good.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Cobb shift plate is a different product altogether, we are talking direct bolt on shift arms, which far exceed the performance of the bolt on plates. As far as I know there are 4 bolt on full shift arms available for our cars right now. With the JBR being the most attractive feature/price/materials wise.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can't speak to the JBR as I own and have only tried the Breedt arm which I am very happy with. I have it at 25% reduction, stock neutral position and IMO it's perfect for DD. Shift effort is barely increased from stock, but I do sometimes have to fight a little to get it in reverse. Stock shift knob, no other mods to the shifter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
My top three shifter choices would be JBR in 3rd, a very close race for second would go to JBR, and finally, if I could only have one, it'd be JBR. Have had mine for a few thousand miles now and love it. Was at the 20% reduction setting and just swapped today to 40%. Huge difference in throw with little to zero difference in difficulty shifting. I also have the stock arm; love it with the JBR, didn't want to change it then, never gonna change it in the future. Unlike someone else mentioned though, I unfortunsly couldn't really tell what difference the weights made. Don't think I even know what difference they're supposed to make.

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
My top three shifter choices would be JBR in 3rd, a very close race for second would go to JBR, and finally, if I could only have one, it'd be JBR. Have had mine for a few thousand miles now and love it. Was at the 20% reduction setting and just swapped today to 40%. Huge difference in throw with little to zero difference in difficulty shifting. I also have the stock arm; love it with the JBR, didn't want to change it then, never gonna change it in the future. Unlike someone else mentioned though, I unfortunsly couldn't really tell what difference the weights made. Don't think I even know what difference they're supposed to make.
Well, broseph, the weights are there for fine tuning. I will be running through the configurations in my long awaited "breedt vs jbr review" which is still a week or two out. Sad to say.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How does it compare to the mountune quick shift

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Id love some Mountune stuff as ford actually supports them but that's just way too expensive and out of my price range unfortunately

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in shift "effort". We aren't talking about a straight geared dog box! Anything that shortens the throw will require more "force" to shift. I'm set at 40 and can still shift with my finger tips. It gives a crisp positive feeling to the gear changes, like I feel a performance car should.
I know none of this is making the choice any easier. Regardless of your choice, I'm positive you will be happy with your much improved shift feel!

Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im also looking at the JBR, are any of the Bushing options needed? what is their purpose?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts