Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well normally i would post this in the brake section but i care more about the autocross effects vs normal wear and tear.

just hit 96k on OG brakes. probably about time to start shopping for another set.

what flavor is everyone running?

any thoughts on upgrades that fit 17" wheels?

dont really care about dust but i do use it as a daily so i rather not have to get them hot and squeal everywhere i go.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Depends on class. GS typically Hawk HP+ or even the HPS suffice. STH and above, LSD then whatever brake pad of choice. In the greater classes, more power you make the more stupid the ediff/brake vectoring works against you while it sends the inside tire spinning to the moon while heating up the brakes faster than necessary rendering what ever brake pad you choose feeling "just ok" because the brake fluid is boiled over.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TCE can hook you up with 6-pot Wilwood fronts that fit 17" wheels. They don't list them on their web site because most people are looking for larger discs, so phone/email to inquire. 17x8 +48mm RPF1s shod in 255/40-17 clear with 5mm spacers... don't think I've ever bothered to check clearance without spacers. Redrilled 17x9 +45mm RPF1s absolutely need the spacers to clear the caliper plus longer wheel studs because of the thickness of the lug seats.

Titan 7 18x9 +38mm rims clear the Wilwood caliper and so do Ground Force 18x9 +40mm rims.

Edit: TCE also have insulating shims for brake pads. Don't know if they have same for the Wilwoods.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on class. GS typically Hawk HP+ or even the HPS suffice. STH and above, LSD then whatever brake pad of choice. In the greater classes, more power you make the more stupid the ediff/brake vectoring works against you while it sends the inside tire spinning to the moon while heating up the brakes faster than necessary rendering what ever brake pad you choose feeling "just ok" because the brake fluid is boiled over.
facts. last 110F race i had the brake cap pop off and spray fluid all over the engine. had to call it quits early and spray the hell out of the bay. rather not burn the car down.

im looking into a LSD but i cant be without a car while they build the trans so im looking for a spare trans too.

dollars are hard to come by though.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
TCE can hook you up with 6-pot Wilwood fronts that fit 17" wheels. They don't list them on their web site because most people are looking for larger discs, so phone/email to inquire. 17x8 +48mm RPF1s shod in 255/40-17 clear with 5mm spacers... don't think I've ever bothered to check clearance without spacers. Redrilled 17x9 +45mm RPF1s absolutely need the spacers to clear the caliper plus longer wheel studs because of the thickness of the lug seats.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
View attachment 392581

is this not the kit for the wilwoods?
It's a great kit and pretty easy to put on. Combine it with the rear Frankenbrake (Speed3 caliper bracket, V60 rotor) and it's a great solution. I ran it for a couple of years. I also used VelossaTech's brake cooling ducts and never had a fade problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Probably worth mentioning, after re-reading the rules, that the kit I have might not be legal for STH. The FNSL6 kit is definitely legal for STH.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Probably worth mentioning, after re-reading the rules, that the kit I have might not be legal for STH. The FNSL6 kit is definitely legal for STH.
What part of the ruleset does it not comply with? Brakes seem to be pretty open in terms of upgrading.

14.6 BRAKES
A. Non-standard brake rotors may be used provided they are of equal or
larger dimensions (diameter and overall thickness) and made of ferrous
material (e.g., iron). The diameter for replacement rotors is measured
at the minimum outside dimension. Aluminum rotor hats are allowed.
Cars originally equipped with solid (non-vented) rotors may utilize
vented rotors. Cross-drilled and/or slotted brake rotors may be fitted
provided all such voids are within the disc area and comprise no more
than 10% of that area.

Even section E is pretty open:
E. Disc brake calipers and mounting brackets may be replaced provided
they bolt to the standard locations and the number of pistons is equal
to or greater than standard. A functioning emergency brake of the same
type, operation, and actuation as OE must be present

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What part of the ruleset does it not comply with?
It's the equal dimensions or larger. Looks like the Wilwood rotor is 12.8" diameter instead of 13.1", but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It's the equal dimensions or larger. Looks like the Wilwood rotor is 12.8" diameter instead of 13.1", but I could be wrong.
Oh ok. I didn't realize they had a 12.88 rotor option. I always saw the FNSL6 kit for the 13.1 rotors or the race kit with the 14 inch rotors.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
287 Posts
I use custom made titanium shims on the brake pads, help keep the heat off t
he pads away from the caliper pistons/brake fluid. Custom made bracket for the rear brakes OEM calipers(to maintain parking brake) with 13 inches two piece slotted rotors, max temp I had seen is 250 °F. A lot cheaper than aftermarket calipers. Front brakes are holding but I had seen 650°F rotor temp. thanks to the ediff/brake vectoring system. None vents can help the front OEM rotors since the intakes are on the outside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts