Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a track day with a set of Hawk DTC-60 brake pads; the pads had a rubberized component on the back, which I assume is to act like a brake shim? Anyways, after the track day, I switched to street pads and noticed that the rubberized component disintegrated into dust.

I haven't taken the street pads off, but I assume it will probably look the same.

Do I need to buy brake shims now?

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Basically, the shims are to control noise but can be helpful as a heat barrier between the hot pads and the caliper piston full of brake fluid. Titanium, stainless steel or spring steel (more common) are used. The first two are better.
This ^

Generally you'll see just a steel anti rattle clip on the back of pads. Usually track pads don't have them, in favor of more pad material. In this case it was probably just a rubberized coating they apply to the backs of all their pads to dampen noises caused from vibration. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're ever curious about G-LOC track pads, hit us up. They're non-corrosive, unlike the hawk pads. You're at least very smart for swapping to a street pad, as the DTC compounds plus rain or wetness makes for some nasty wheel and body paint eating dust.

·
Vendor
380 Posts
they say they are but i havent seen them yet on a focus nor can i find anything on their site. I was talking to them over on the RS site about them for the brembos but havent heard anything back lately
When I had RS brembos I ran Ti shims from an Evo. Same pin spacing, but a little less long. Still plenty enough to cover the pistons.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
1,180 Posts
they say they are but i havent seen them yet on a focus nor can i find anything on their site. I was talking to them over on the RS site about them for the brembos but havent heard anything back lately
TCE performance products sell it for ST and RS.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Same here, i had PMed them a while ago but haven't heard anything back after the Initial response that they were working on them

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You're at least very smart for swapping to a street pad, as the DTC compounds plus rain or wetness makes for some nasty wheel and body paint eating dust.
My konigs were eaten up pretty severely from the Hawk HP+ pads I had. 10/10 would not reccomend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This ^

Generally you'll see just a steel anti rattle clip on the back of pads. Usually track pads don't have them, in favor of more pad material. In this case it was probably just a rubberized coating they apply to the backs of all their pads to dampen noises caused from vibration. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're ever curious about G-LOC track pads, hit us up. They're non-corrosive, unlike the hawk pads. You're at least very smart for swapping to a street pad, as the DTC compounds plus rain or wetness makes for some nasty wheel and body paint eating dust.

I suppose for track work having the rubberized coating disintegrate wouldn't matter then because it will be noisy anyways. But what about street use? I've heard that shims are important for noise reduction. Right now my car is quiet, but I guess I'm worried that if I switch to track pads and back again to street pads the rubber coating will have peeled off and I'll have noisy brakes.

If I do need to buy shims, would you have any recommendations? I assume I'd need both front and back shims.

I'll definitely check out G-LOC pads once my Hawks are done!

I believe EBC is selling Titanium shims now.
Not available for the Focus yet. I don't recall how I found it, but went on the website and found a list of cars supported and the Focus wasn't listed.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
1,180 Posts
I suppose for track work having the rubberized coating disintegrate wouldn't matter then because it will be noisy anyways. But what about street use? I've heard that shims are important for noise reduction. Right now my car is quiet, but I guess I'm worried that if I switch to track pads and back again to street pads the rubber coating will have peeled off and I'll have noisy brakes.

If I do need to buy shims, would you have any recommendations? I assume I'd need both front and back shims.

Not available for the Focus yet. I don't recall how I found it, but went on the website and found a list of cars supported and the Focus wasn't listed.
Race pads are noisy per se. The shims and some brake pad grease will help you with the noise. Track or street. If you can fit the Ti shims for the track, the brake fluid can benefit from it. Even after the track event the rotors and pads remained very hot for some time, cooking the brake fluid in the process, radiating the heat toward the caliper pistons and calipers.

check post #8.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Race pads are noisy per se. The shims and some brake pad grease will help you with the noise. Track or street. If you can fit the Ti shims for the track, the brake fluid can benefit from it. Even after the track event the rotors and pads remained very hot for some time, cooking the brake fluid in the process, radiating the heat toward the caliper pistons and calipers.

check post #8.
I've been to the TCE site but I think they only make front brake shims. Is it not required on the rear?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
who is selling the ebc ti shims for the RS Brembos, I havent found a vendor?

·
Vendor
380 Posts

So street pads generally have an anti-rattle clip on the back of the pads. The "shims" we've kinda been referring to, when talking about Ti shims, are more so just for track use. It's used as a barrier or "heat shield" to prevent less heat transfer from the brake pad to the caliper piston. These shims are not really used for noise reduction. Most brake noise comes from micro vibrations (cept for track pads, that noise is a good bit of the compound). Anti-rattle clips commonly found on the back of street pads, help to absorb some of the micro vibrations to reduce noise.

The rear brakes don't really need shims, due to the heat the generate being much less than the front brakes.

Side note, unless you're boiling brake fluid often at the track, no need for the Ti shims. If you are experiencing a spongey pedal and/or are constantly having to bleed boiled fluid, then get some Ti shims. Also timing out the session to work in an extra cool-down lap will help even more.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
who is selling the ebc ti shims for the RS Brembos, I havent found a vendor?
I just heard back from ebc and they said they don't have any made for our platform yet. Mustangs/vettes are getting more priority over our cars (RS/st.)

So maybe we will get some...maybe just take some more time. Send feedback to ebc, more demand means higher chances.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So street pads generally have an anti-rattle clip on the back of the pads. The "shims" we've kinda been referring to, when talking about Ti shims, are more so just for track use. It's used as a barrier or "heat shield" to prevent less heat transfer from the brake pad to the caliper piston. These shims are not really used for noise reduction. Most brake noise comes from micro vibrations (cept for track pads, that noise is a good bit of the compound). Anti-rattle clips commonly found on the back of street pads, help to absorb some of the micro vibrations to reduce noise.

The rear brakes don't really need shims, due to the heat the generate being much less than the front brakes.

Side note, unless you're boiling brake fluid often at the track, no need for the Ti shims. If you are experiencing a spongey pedal and/or are constantly having to bleed boiled fluid, then get some Ti shims. Also timing out the session to work in an extra cool-down lap will help even more.
Alright, so maybe I was a little confused so I'll explain myself a little more.

What had happened was I was reading up on brake changes, and a lot of websites were saying how important it was for street brakes to have shims otherwise they'll develop a ton of noise and shatter your eardrums, howl like a banshee, et cetera. I clicked a few random links and people on other forums were also saying how important it was to have a shim for noise reduction. That's when I remembered the rubberized coating off of my track pads had disintegrated, which I thought was the shim. Example of a rubber shim?

Some noise on the trackpad is fine, but I was worried that the rubber coating might also come off of my street pad, especially if I was swapping brakes for track and street use. That's when I thought maybe I had to buy some replacement metal shims for the street.

So in conclusion I shouldn't worry about getting shims for street use, and just use something like this for lubrication on the backs/sides of the pads?

I just heard back from ebc and they said they don't have any made for our platform yet. Mustangs/vettes are getting more priority over our cars (RS/st.)

So maybe we will get some...maybe just take some more time. Send feedback to ebc, more demand means higher chances.
Here's a list of available shims:
EBC-Titanium-Shim-Application-Fitments-2022.pdf (ebcbrakes.com)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts