Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just replaced the brake pads as I was hearing a loud scraping noise from the wheel areas primarily the rear brakes. It was a ****ty brake pad noise, but there was also noise before I put in the new pads which was a almost plastic scraping noise when I was nearly at a full stop (E.G crappy brake pad noise from pads while braking from 50kmph-10kmph and then plastic scraping noise from 10kmph-0) I believe this plastic noise was coming from the pads but is still present now that I changed them. There is no parts of the body of the car whatsoever touching the ground and all bolts seem to be screwed in properly.

Things I have noticed
  • Brake rotors have created a lip at the top of the rotor due to wear( dont know if this is making the noise)
  • Right rear caliper is making excess metal shavings.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Changing pads and sometimes you don’t realize you push on them, stupid stuff like that, they are relatively thin metal and don’t take much to move.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also the lip could be created by uneven pressure on the pads or sometimes a microscopic rock will get between the pads and rotors and cause I never wear and the only way to fix is to remove pads and clean the rotor surface and the pads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also the lip could be created by uneven pressure on the pads or sometimes a microscopic rock will get between the pads and rotors and cause I never wear and the only way to fix is to remove pads and clean the rotor surface and the pads.
Yeah I just changed the pads and didn't see any anomalies ie rocks etc.. Im going to check it soon because it is making excess metal shavings noticeably and I've only driven it once since the new pads are in which was yesterday..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Things I have noticed
  • Brake rotors have created a lip at the top of the rotor due to wear( dont know if this is making the noise)
  • Right rear caliper is making excess metal shavings.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
Where are the metal shavings coming from?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are the metal shavings coming from?
I HAVE DISCOVERED IT. The noise was because before I had even changed the pads, the inside face of the rear driver side rotor was completely destroyed. I.e it was like sand paper ( probably due to a rock stick between the old pad and the rotor. Therefore when I put the new pads in, the surface of the pads was grinding up against a very rough rotor making a very bad noise.

NOTE; when you change your pads, be sure to check the inside of the rotor to check for any anomalies so you dont think your brakes are broken like mine.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,104 Posts
I HAVE DISCOVERED IT. The noise was because before I had even changed the pads, the inside face of the rear driver side rotor was completely destroyed. I.e it was like sand paper ( probably due to a rock stick between the old pad and the rotor. Therefore when I put the new pads in, the surface of the pads was grinding up against a very rough rotor making a very bad noise.

NOTE; when you change your pads, be sure to check the inside of the rotor to check for any anomalies so you dont think your brakes are broken like mine.

Thanks.
So you changed pads and did not machine or replace the rotors? Your pads are not going to last very long and your braking is going to be less than ideal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts