Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Brake pads

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  aaronc7 
#1 ·
It's nearing time for brakes on my ST, What are the views on various brake pads? OE pads work fine but we all know about the dust.
I don't race it or autocross. Anybody have experience with Performance Friction brake pads on a ST? I've used em on a couple of Porsche's and have had good luck with em.

#2 ·
I have read a lot of good things about Hawks HPS street pad as a good factory replacement for normal to spirited use. I plan on upgrading to them some day.

#4 ·
Indeed, plus living in Cali he won't have much issues in cold weather. In cold weather it is reported that they have less than ideal bite at first due to being below operating temp. Once they heat up a little though they are fine. For emergency stops early in your commute in places like PA this time of year, I'm sure they aren't too great. @UnfocusedST you ever have any issues with this the few times you've had the ST out in the cold months up there? I know you're an HPS user.

Also, @Motoracer8 if you're interested in a nice discount on Hawk pads shoot me a PM. And no, I'm not going to sell you used brake pads. :cool:

#3 ·
I used the HPS pads on my first ST. They worked out well.

#6 · (Edited)
I know it was not directed at me, but I have no complaints about cold stops with Hawk HPS. I am sure they stop better at operating temp, but that is true for any pad.

For operating range info: https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/product/Hawk-Compound-Charts.pdf

I am in central Indiana for reference. We definitely get cold weather here.

#7 ·
I can’t say I ever noticed a problem with normal use in Western Pa. winters. Just daily driver type miles with good winter tires.

#9 ·
I don't think I've seen anyone run or talk about PFC pads for the ST. Looking at their site, looks like they have a front/rear set of the 'carbon metallic' series and they sell it at autoanything and a couple other places. I've never ran PFC myself so I'm not really smart on them, but heard great stuff about their track pads.

As you can probably tell, most everyone runs hawk replacement pads here it seems like. Once mine run down I was planning on running Hawk HPS 5.0 or EBC Red. I have tried a set of the regular HPS in the past (different car), but was a little disappointed in the lack of initial bite. The new 5.0 pads are supposed to be better. About to try a set of EBC Reds on another car... so I can't comment quite yet.

One thing I do know is that for whatever reason, many sites don't list the ST pads right and are often missing front pad options that actually do exist. I did a quick partnumber lookup, this might be handy for you as you look around. They're all around the same price, except the stoptechs are a bit cheaper.

HPS
HB712F.680
HB478F.605

HPS 5.0
HB712B.680
HB478B.605

Stoptech Sport

EBC Red
DP32145C
DP31749C

EBC Yellow
DP42145R
DP41749R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.