Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my brakes have been acting up. When I brake at high speeds (like on the freeway) my wheel starts to shake and sometimes it pulls to a side. I do not feel anything from my pedal. Also when I almost come to a complete stop my car begins to feel like I have square wheels. My brakes feel like they are fading in and out. This is only at really slow speeds though. I went to Ford for my usual service. I asked about it and they said I had warped rotors. I do not really believe that because I only have 7,000 miles on my car and I have not tracked or driven it to the point where the brakes get that heated. Either the ST comes with some awful rotors or there is something else. Let me know if you have any answers or if something like this has happened to you. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That feeling when you brake happened to me a year ago but it not was as heavy as you describe... What happened to me is when I brake feel the car wanted to go slightly aside.
I went to a mechanic and made wheel and direction alignment. Since then it's all ok.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Stock Brake System Bed-in

Now go forth, brake until they fade and you can smell 'em, let them cool, then complain no more

Had the same problem when I put race pads on fresh rotors with my M3... insane amount of pulling and wobbling. Got the pads up to operating temp (~950*F) during the track session, and all was well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried a few high speed hard stops to re-bed the pads? Usually what is described as a warped rotor is uneven pad material on the rotor face.
Stock Brake System Bed-in

Now go forth, brake until they fade and you can smell 'em, let them cool, then complain no more

Had the same problem when I put race pads on fresh rotors with my M3... insane amount of pulling and wobbling. Got the pads up to operating temp (~950*F) during the track session, and all was well.
I have never heard of this before. I'll give it try and I will give an update. Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Your dealer is full of sh!t.

Though if they think it's warped rotors I'd say fine, when can I get it in for a completely new brake system under warranty? See what they say then.

My guess though it's just crap (reconstituted brake dust) stuck on the pads and/or rotors. Couple good hard stops should take care of it. I'd suggest doing it in a large empty parking lot and start gradually. You don't want to hit them too hard and have it pull to one side out of control. That could turn ugly...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
You can also sand the pads a bit. I have to do it on my race bike every now and then.

Warped rotors are rare and unless you hold the brake pedal down hard after stopping or heavy stops then I doubt you have done anything to the rotors.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You can also sand the pads a bit. I have to do it on my race bike every now and then.

Warped rotors are rare and unless you hold the brake pedal down hard after stopping or heavy stops then I doubt you have done anything to the rotors.
It's the ROTORS that would be sanded, not the pads. And holding the pedal down after a hard stop is what TRANSFERS material to the rotor giving you the impression of warping. Warping is incredibly rare and is usually the result of some idiot overtorquing the lug nuts.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
It's the ROTORS that would be sanded, not the pads. And holding the pedal down after a hard stop is what TRANSFERS material to the rotor giving you the impression of warping. Warping is incredibly rare and is usually the result of some idiot overtorquing the lug nuts.
No, sanding the pads can help a lot with the feeling he is getting. I have done it 100000 times and it has fixed issues. Sanding the rotors is dumb in my in my book I rather just replace them if it is coming to that. Just sand the pads and go out and brake hard from say 60-70mph. That would clean the rotors off pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
No, sanding the pads can help a lot with the feeling he is getting. I have done it 100000 times and it has fixed issues. Sanding the rotors is dumb in my in my book I rather just replace them if it is coming to that. Just sand the pads and go out and brake hard from say 60-70mph. That would clean the rotors off pretty quickly.
Doing anything 100,000 times suggests that its not fixing anything! :haha:

Some folks have luck with using sand paper to remove the pad material that's creating high spots. No need to toss them over that! NEVER heard of anyone sanding the pads before. But, this is the interweb afterall.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Doing anything 100,000 times suggests that its not fixing anything! :haha:

Some folks have luck with using sand paper to remove the pad material that's creating high spots. No need to toss them over that! NEVER heard of anyone sanding the pads before. But, this is the interweb afterall.
First the rotors get cleaned by the pads, so no need to sand rotors nor would I suggest it as that can cause uneven wear. But do as you please, not my car I could give half a ****.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Recently my brakes have been acting up. When I brake at high speeds (like on the freeway) my wheel starts to shake and sometimes it pulls to a side. I do not feel anything from my pedal. Also when I almost come to a complete stop my car begins to feel like I have square wheels. My brakes feel like they are fading in and out. This is only at really slow speeds though. I went to Ford for my usual service. I asked about it and they said I had warped rotors. I do not really believe that because I only have 7,000 miles on my car and I have not tracked or driven it to the point where the brakes get that heated. Either the ST comes with some awful rotors or there is something else. Let me know if you have any answers or if something like this has happened to you. Thanks.
I saw you mention trying out different things to see if it makes a difference, have you had any results? I want to look into some additional options. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all!

I got an update about this issue. Thanks to @FordService I was able to have my brakes fixed at my local dealership. Apparently my rotors were warped a little, so Ford sanded them down for me. I am still a little disappointed with the quality of the stock rotors, but I guess that gives me an idea of what my next car part is going to be. In the meantime, I am thankful my car is back to normal now.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Hello all!

I got an update about this issue. Thanks to @FordService I was able to have my brakes fixed at my local dealership. Apparently my rotors were warped a little, so Ford sanded them down for me. I am still a little disappointed with the quality of the stock rotors, but I guess that gives me an idea of what my next car part is going to be. In the meantime, I am thankful my car is back to normal now.
Glad to read this was taken care of for you, Eric! :) You know where to find me should you ever need anything down the road. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Nick

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found this thread when searching for (intermittent grinding sound during stopping). I get a sound that would indicate I was into the steel behind the pad, but if I get on and off a few times it goes away. Is this common? Not wild about the stock pads. Good stop, but very grabby, very dusty. I'm thinking of switching to HAWK HPS. that's been my go to on several other cars. any opinions welcome

·
Super Moderator
7,577 Posts
I found this thread when searching for (intermittent grinding sound during stopping). I get a sound that would indicate I was into the steel behind the pad, but if I get on and off a few times it goes away. Is this common? Not wild about the stock pads. Good stop, but very grabby, very dusty. I'm thinking of switching to HAWK HPS. that's been my go to on several other cars. any opinions welcome
There are many other threads about our brakes, this one in particular has been inactive for 5 years.

Most members run Hawk HPS pads. It's a great choice. Be aware that the rear calipers must be twisted as they compress. They twist opposite of each other. Quite a few of us use the harbor freight caliper tool kit. Standard brake "cubes" do not fit the pistons.

Also, our front brake "dust/heat shield" is prone to catching rocks/debris or touching the rotor. So it's worth checking out. Always inspect for proper clearance after you are done working on the brakes, it's super annoying if you don't. Squeal/grind, it's awful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are many other threads about our brakes, this one in particular has been inactive for 5 years.

Most members run Hawk HPS pads. It's a great choice. Be aware that the rear calipers must be twisted as they compress. They twist opposite of each other. Quite a few of us use the harbor freight caliper tool kit. Standard brake "cubes" do not fit the pistons.

Also, our front brake "dust/heat shield" is prone to catching rocks/debris or touching the rotor. So it's worth checking out. Always inspect for proper clearance after you are done working on the brakes, it's super annoying if you don't. Squeal/grind, it's awful.
Thanks Duece - nice summary. Like a need another excuse to visit Harbor Freight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts